TransAsia Crash Taiwan

I have to buy one of those dash cams

Hard to believe passengers survived this crash, another with Asia in the title!

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2015-02-04/taiwan-plane-crashes-in-taipei-river-people-killed/6069950

11 persons are feared dead after a plane carrying 58 people crashed into a river in Taiwan's capital Taipei, the local fire department says

Of the 58 people on board, 28 were rescued, the fire department said in a text message.

Taipei City government spokesman Sidney Lin told Focus Taiwan news channel the TransAsia Airways plane crashed into the Keelung River after hitting a bridge.

Dramatic pictures taken by a motorist and posted on Twitter showed the plane veering over a motorway close to the airport soon after the turboprop ATR 72-600 aircraft took off.

A senior rescuer at the site said those yet to be rescued were thought to be trapped inside the submerged front section of the plane.

"The focus of our work is to try to use cranes to lift the front part of the wreckage which is submerged under the water and is where most of the other passengers are feared trapped," the rescue official told reporters.

Earlier, television footage showed passengers in life jackets wading and swimming clear of the river with rescuers standing on large sections of broken wreckage trying to pull others out of the plane with ropes.

The accident happened a few minutes after the plane took off from Taipei's Songshan airport en route to the island of Kinmen

Thirty-one mainland Chinese tourists were among those on board, Taiwan's tourism bureau said.

China's Xiamen Daily newspaper said on a verified social media account the Chinese tourists were part of two tour groups from the eastern Chinese city Xiamen.

"All their phones were powered off because they were on board a plane, so we haven't been able to contact them," an unnamed representative of one of the tour agencies told the newspaper.

Xiamen is in Fujian province, which lies across the Taiwan Strait from the island.

An employee of one of the tour agencies, surnamed Wen, said it had 15 clients, including three children younger than 10, and a tour leader on board.

"It's an emergency," she said. "We're working with different

work teams. We're trying to arrange for the relatives to go to Taiwan."

Local television news reported 53 passengers and five crew were believed to be on board the domestic flight.

Reports said all those rescued were taken to hospital.

Last July, 48 people were killed when another domestic TransAsia flight crashed onto houses during a storm on the Taiwanese island of Penghu.

Looking at that close up footage (@15sec) as it crosses the road, compare the left and right props, seems like they may have lost power on the left engine and have not feathered the prop.

Some very very lucky people in the taxi that you can see being hit in the dash cam footage and there is a report on another forum that they did radio an engine flame out after take off. Amazed anyone got out of this.

B8-Uj7MIMAEGkoD.jpg.482c78d4f7102bb3f975fe451bce80dc.jpg

Think most of that type of aircraft have auto feather built into their performance envelope A turboprop engine can absorb about 3 times it's rated thrust as drag if you don't get the prop feathered. Nev

Guest Howard Hughes

Over torque? Hardest scenario I've ever done in a simulator, never ends well.

As someone who fly's turboprops, I will be watching this one with interest.

The Twin Otters i did some time in had autofeather, it was pain to test and no one was confident that it would work 100%. From memory they were only armed when full power (max %) was selected. After take off and power and rpm pulled back autofeather would disarm and pilot would proceed with manual feather if needed. If power was lost on T/off and auto feather commenced and the pilot pulled the prop lever to feather manually it would actually slow the process. These guys had been in the air for around 4 minutes so maybe autofeather had been disarmed by then. What does the King Air do Howard?

Guest Howard Hughes
What does the King Air do Howard?

Manually switched on, arms when n1 is above 88%, then activates if either engine torque drops below 17%. If both engines simultaneously drop below 17% autofeather does not work.

POH says to have autofeather on until transition, company operating procedures keep it on until top of climb.

The factory guys tell me there are zero cases of the autofeather failing to operate correctly during an engine failure in 50 years of Kingair operation, that is quite re-assuring.

Google street view of road not just in view on right are high voltage power lines the aircraft went under as it went into river.

Guest Howard Hughes
Howard, i remember only one engine failure requiring shut down and that was in cruise. No one ever put AF to the test.

Fairly certain there has been more than one engine failure in a Kingair in 50 years! 022_wink.gif.2137519eeebfc3acb3315da062b6b1c1.gif

Howard, i remember only one engine failure requiring shut down and that was in cruise. No one ever put AF to the test.

There has been two in the last that I'm aware of. Not sure what stage of flight tho.

It relies on the engine feathering quickly to achieve single engine performance.. A turbo prop will absorb more power to windmill the prop than if gives thrust, so it is critical the prop be feathered quickly. they also have complex pitch locks to prevent overspeeding the prop which is a serious hazard . Nev