Rotax Engine Courses

seb7701

Just wondering whether anyone here has done a Rotax engine maintenance course or any sort and whether or not they still run them at Bert Flood? Sounds like a great thing to do.

Very much wish we had a few more courses available around the place to pick up some knowledge. Fabric covering would be another one on the list!

• Agree 4

I did the 912 course with Wal at Burt Floods in Melbourne nearly two years ago. It was well worth it, a great course. I haven't spoken to Wal for a while so don't know if he is still running the course. It is a course I would recommend to anyone who has a 912 fitted to their aircraft, even if you don't intend doing any heavy maintenance yourself. Greg.

• Like 2

Contact Kev MacNally at the HGFA. He is the HGFA WM Technical Officer and is based in Qld. He and his wife Carole run two day Rotax maintenance courses around the country. Costs vary depending on number of course attendees and their own travel/accommodation costs, but are quite reasonable.

rgmwa

• Like 2
  • Informative 1

HGFA magazine has 7 pages this month showing these courses. Looks as if they have been to WA, SA and VIC recently. Write up shows that this course has been attended by HGFA, RAA, ASRA, SAAA, SABC, SLACWA and GA, and anyone who is interested in learning more about the Rotax engine and that they are passing the RAA guys' details to RAA Tech Office when they have completed the course.

RAA magazine doesn't mention these courses though, so maybe they are doing their own courses?

Just checked the HGFA website (members area) and nothing listed under courses, but found the following:

WM/Rotax Maintenance courses - 2015 venues: Possible venue in SE Qld

no other details as yet.

Another course listed is Strathalbyn, SA (Date TBA)

• Like 2

• 2 months later...

Over 70 RAA members (weightshift and 3-axis pilots) have had their names passed to the RAA Tech team apparently for completing the course so maybe RAA will start to recognise it soon?

There is a chap Townsville way, has done the course at Rotax factory, ( Europe somewhere ) he's keen to take on work. ( i've got his details somewhere, standby ) Am told he's real good.

• Informative 1

Keith Rule is off to the USA shortly to do four Rotax courses over there including one on the 912iS Sport. And a very good thing because I'll need him to look after mine!

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
The rotaxowner.com courses in the US are fantastic, there are several levels of competency for rotax 2 stroke 582 to 912-914 series. Well worth the trip and well managed courses.

All Rotax Agents have to run these courses, otherwise they lose their agency.

The iRMT courses in Australia are run by http://www.bertfloodimports.com.au/maintenance-courses.html.

The downside is that ALL the iRMT qualifications, regardless of where you do them only last 2 years and then you have to renew them!

certainly good courses though - I am just saying you don't have to travel overseas as they are all supposed to be the same courses wherever you attend.

The rotaxowner.com courses in the US are fantastic, there are several levels of competency for rotax 2 stroke 582 to 912-914 series. Well worth the trip and well managed courses.

All Rotax Agents have to run these courses, otherwise they lose their agency.

The iRMT courses in Australia are run by http://www.bertfloodimports.com.au/maintenance-courses.html.

The downside is that ALL the iRMT qualifications, regardless of where you do them only last 2 years and then you have to renew them!

certainly good courses though - I am just saying you don't have to travel overseas as they are all supposed to be the same courses wherever you attend.

• 2 weeks later...

The HGFA website (members area) has listed the following courses:

WM/Rotax Maintenance courses Gympie and Kooralbyn, Qld and Albany, WA

no other details, or dates as yet.

• Agree 1

• 2 weeks later...
So over 2 days...anyone been to one? what actually happens over the 2 days...is it a hands on course or is it a just listen and watch type of thing?David

Articles about these courses are in the HGFA magazine. Free to download on the HGFA website: http://www.hgfa.asn.au/ under 'Sky Sailor' tab.

Download July 2015: Page 28-30 (also has contact details)