Part 61 whats changed

Nev25

Been away for this site (and others for a while (Long story))

Come back on expecting to see lots of Hype about Part 61 Changes

To my surprise I haven't found anything

Around this time last year the changes got put on hold till later in the year

It was to have a huge impact on lots of things flying related

Told it was put into play late September but what really changed??

There was talk of a Recreational Rotary wing Licence???

Have heard the GA GFPT is replaced with a Recreational Licence

Is this licence the same as a Recreational Certificate

The New Recreational Licence requires 20 dual as compared to the 15 hrs previous and MTOW is now 1500KG compared to 540KG or what it was previously??

What about Stall speed

Does this mean someone with a Rec License can now fly VH registered aircraft to MTOW of 1500KG

HAs anything chance regarding RA-Aus registered Aircraft

What other changes where made

Nothing in Part 61 has changed RA-AUS certificates or aircraft opera ration. Don't confuse your Recreational Pilots Certificate (issued by RA-AUS) with the Part 61 Recreational Pilots License (issued by CASA) they are not the same or interchangeable.

• Agree 1

Nothing in Part 61 has changed RA-AUS certificates or aircraft opera ration. Don't confuse your Recreational Pilots Certificate (issued by RA-AUS) with the Part 61 Recreational Pilots License (issued by CASA) they are not the same or interchangeable.

HHmm ok so they are 2 different things

I'm confused???

Same Qualification different governing body?????

Americans have a License, we have a Licence. I don't know why this is so hard to grasp . I know I sound anal and who cares, but I feel that Australia is losing its identity with American english creeping in. Like Jail instead of Gaol.

• Agree 3

No they are two different qualifications that allow you to fly two different type of aircraft (VH registered or RA-AUS registered). If you want to fly a VH registered aircraft (up to 1500kg) you need the Recreational Pilots Licence issued by CASA. To fly RA-AUS registered aircraft (the ones with the numbers on the tail) you need a Recreational Pilot Certificate issued by RA-AUS. RA-AUS aircraft still have set stall speed requirements and MTOW of 600kg.

There is nothing preventing you from holding both qualifications.

Americans have a License, we have a Licence. I don't know why this is so hard to grasp . I know I sound anal and who cares, but I feel that Australia is losing its identity with American english creeping in. Like Jail instead of Gaol.

Well maybe you need to fund someone to write an Australian Spell checker

Total irrelevant to the question and pedantic

• Informative 1

Nev, with respect, it will help you no end to read what's on the CASA website, and the RAAus site, and then read the very long threads on this forum and also the one on pprune. We are all still trying to interpret what CASA has created, and there have already been several of the intended changes placed on hold. I expect there will be a lot of future changes too. It's just not possible to give you an instant précis of what's changed. In my opinion, the major change has been that CASA have given 'recognition' to RAAus training via a very simple conversion from Pilot Certificate,(RAAus), to Recreational Pilot Licence,(GA). happy days,

I think also it is easiest to break the answer down into that bit which pertains to you - otherwise its just too big.

Most of the stuff you need should be found here http://www.casa.gov.au/scripts/nc.dll?WCMS:STANDARD::pc=PC_101440

in fact here is a booklet - http://www.casa.gov.au/wcmswr/_assets/main/lib100191/part61booklet.pdf

and of course, the ever-popular FAQs: http://www.casa.gov.au/scripts/nc.dll?WCMS:STANDARD::pc=PC_102186

This is very much an unfinished story.

CASA have described, in writing, that the RPL and RPC as "equivalent".

So, in summary, what we appear to have is the Government entering into competition with a non government authority (RAAus) with a product, the RPL, that is free and has superior privileges.

This fact has not been lost on RAAus and they are pursuing true equivalence including 1,500kg and CTA.

The RPL has an unreasonable medical prerequisite that is extremely onerous and cynically named "drivers licence medical". For most over 50, a Class II medical is the realistic standard required for an RPL. In the USA there is a legislative push to make aviation medicals based on logical risk management principles for all non commercial aviation. Let's hope this common sense can migrate across the Pacific.

With new Director of Av Safety and new Medical chief at CASA, and improved relationship with CASA's Sport Aviation , there is a real possibility of some good things happening for Rec Aviation in Australia.

• Agree 1
  • Caution 1

Nev 25

If you work it out would you mind updating the industry or more importantly CASA so we might have an idea. Can't even work out how to do a C208 endo at the moment let alone what will be required for my renewal next month.

I do like that I've been handed a NVFR under part 61 tho.

Or people could learn to spell correctly.

Seriously Daz, Some body needs to fire you from you're gramma Nazi position before you loose you're color and go insane. I think your to in need of a good vacation, have you done the Kakoda trail?

Seriously Daz, Some body needs to fire you from you're gramma Nazi position before you loose you're color and go insane. I think your to in need of a good vacation, have you done the Kakoda trail?

Err I think you mean " lose " not "loose".

Loose, as a example, is when something isn't tight, like a nut or bolt.009_happy.gif.56d1e13d4ca35a447ad034f1ecf7aa58.gif

• Haha 1
  • Helpful 1

fall for it every time Daz, makes you wonder if their are not Muslim nanny staters on these forum's

you tried to get me with the their instead of there didn't ya.009_happy.gif.56d1e13d4ca35a447ad034f1ecf7aa58.gif

I'm surprised Daz got the loose but missed out on the you're.......

Also FT edit that post from their to there:stirrer:

I did see the your mistake, but I was being nice and didn't say anything. I was thinking Ben was doing it on purpose as he doesnt make spelling mistakes like that.

This made me laugh hard. Love the grammar nazi's, find them everywhere. I seem to cop a right flogging. As an engineer I have a reputation to uphold.

Wasn't intended to Daz! Clearly a wind up............ Hence the other eleventeen mistakes.

Even I picked up on more than one mistake!!

WRT. to Part 61 changes, I started my training under the old rules. Best part for me as an RPL means I have a proper licence. Under the old GFPT I would have been unable to sign the maintenance release and would have needed a check flight every 15 hours. Bonus is now I can private hire which runs on tacho time rather than VDO time.

Apparently you can convert from RA-Aus licence to a RPL with a check flight and CASA paperwork. I assume all endorsements and class ratings come across with it.

• Agree 1