Foxbat a22LSA Balistic parachute

The foxbat we own is LSA and we wish to install a locally available system to make it easer for the checks it will need every 5 yrs. The glitch comes along in the requirement that we need a letter of approval of modification from the Foxbats maufacturer. Thats ok , however has anyone gone down that route , if so are you able to give me a few pointers.

Cheers , Pete

• 3 weeks later...
The foxbat we own is LSA and we wish to install a locally available system to make it easer for the checks it will need every 5 yrs. The glitch comes along in the requirement that we need a letter of approval of modification from the Foxbats maufacturer. Thats ok , however has anyone gone down that route , if so are you able to give me a few pointers.Cheers , Pete

Hi Pete,. . .the obvious question must be,. . .have you have a word with the importer ? ? ? He will surely be better plugged in to the manufacturers of the aeroplane for a technical question like that. . . He seems to be a very helpful and enthusiastic bloke. . . . ( Don't lose my address at Christmas Mr. Importer. . .! ) Please forgive me if you have already been along that road. . . . . as if you have, you'll need to speak Russian / Ukranian on the phone . . . Well,. . .the two engineers who came to our airfield to help with the assembly of Foxbat 001 in the UK, had absolutley NO English at all,. . .but it was, OK, after four weeks in this country, we taught them every naughty word in the dictionary. . . .

If there is a locally approved supplier of BRS systems in Australia,. then the importer will know about it. None of our ( UK ) foxbats to my knowledge have BRS fitted, and this would be, acccording to our overlords the LAA, a very major MOD. As it would take the aircraft over the maximum 450 Kgs MAUW for a Microlight / LSA under section 'S' regulations in the UK. Austrailian MAUW / MTOW rules may be different. . . . .

Phil

From the Foxbat Australia website (www.foxbat.com.au)

If there isn’t already one in your aircraft, you may consider fitting a Ballistic Rescue System (BRS). This is simply a parachute for the whole aircraft. It is operated by pulling a red handle inside the cabin, which launches a small rocket, which pulls out a large parachute, which allows the entire aircraft and people in it to descend at a survivable rate. These BRS systems are not cheap – but what price peace of mind?

So obviously it's doable.

From the Foxbat Australia website (www.foxbat.com.au)If there isn’t already one in your aircraft, you may consider fitting a Ballistic Rescue System (BRS). This is simply a parachute for the whole aircraft. It is operated by pulling a red handle inside the cabin, which launches a small rocket, which pulls out a large parachute, which allows the entire aircraft and people in it to descend at a survivable rate. These BRS systems are not cheap – but what price peace of mind?

So obviously it's doable.

Thank you young Marty. . . . .as I said B4,. . . . .none fitted in the UK at this time. . . . .

I'm curious, what is the price of peace of mind in this case?

Not sure where I heard it, but I thought about $14,000. I'll be getting one. There'd be nothing worse than seeing a wing strut come off, or elevator cable break, or even an engine failure with no good options below, and think "Hmmmm... wish I'd spent that extra $14k..."

• Agree 3

I have seen a Foxbat LSA fitted with a chute at a private strip in Central Victoria. Not sure who owned it but it was the latest model (600 kg MTO)

It was fitted into the top right hand of the fuselage behind the pax.

cheer's Butch

• 2 weeks later...

Regarding fitting a ballistic rescue system to an LSA-registered Foxbat in Australia: the price of a factory installation during manufacture is A$5,725 including GST. This is a reputable USH Magnum Czech parachute, used on many ultralight and Light Sport Aircraft.

Retro-fitting is theoretically possible but requires removal of the wings to install the rear brackets for the parachute harness and (awkward) installation of a carrier frame behind the passenger seat for the chute and rocket. You'll also need to cut a weather-proof hole & cover in the top of the fuselage above the rocket & chute. So far the factory has only installed the USH system, so that's probably what they would approve. I'm guessing, as I've never supplied one, but a retro-fit USH kit would likely be around A$5,000 plus shipping & GST.

I'm not aware of any Australian based system. However, the USH 5-year parachute checking and re-packing can be carried out by any licensed parachute packer. The 10-year rocket inspection and service has to be carried out by a suitably qualified engineer - are there any in Australia? Returning the rocket to Europe or USA is difficult (read expensive) as it is classified as 'dangerous goods' and has to be shipped in a metal box capable of withstanding the explosion & fire if it goes off during transit. Some carriers will not transport them.

Sometimes an easier (read less expensive) answer is just to buy a replacement rocket - we can ship them in special boxes inside shipping containers (with new aircraft). Then you'd have the joy of disposing of the old rocket....

Finally, all installation work must be signed off by a suitably licensed engineer and the details entered in the aircraft logbook.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Informative 1

I thing there is a RAA school who operate a fox bat with a ballistic shut. I thing they are south of Sydney

About 10% of the 145 or so Foxbats in Australia were factory-fitted with ballistic rescue parachutes, so it is quite likely there is one near Sydney.