looking for unfinished aircraft frame or kit

Guest Kevmarquand

Building is one thing, but you haven't mentioned anything about flying. Might be an idea to look into what's involved there - training, costs, etc before you commit to building anything, unless it's just the building that interests you of course. Maybe take a trial flight if you haven't already.

rgmwa

• Caution 1

A Sonex can be built entirely from plans.. but will still need factory supplied wing spars. (special extrusions)

Nothing special about them, go look at the Morgan's built up spars, similar and entirely usable concept in lieu. There's a few other methods as well.

Nothing special about them, go look at the Morgan's built up spars, similar and entirely usable concept in lieu. There's a few other methods as well.

I beg to differ (having actually built one) .. the extrusions are substantial at the root and an odd looking T shape, specially made for the Sonex, Waiex and Xenos wings.

Edited added pic..

• Agree 2

Bed, Bex, Bex! Best make sure you wipe your feet if you're going to keep stepping in cow pats like that. Take a closer look at the Sonex spar caps and reconsider.

Oops. That should read

Oops. You should read my post again ...

concept

noun

a general notion or idea; conception.

an idea of something formed by mentally combining all its characteristics or particulars; a construct.

a directly conceived or intuited object of thought.

verb (used with object)

Informal. to develop a concept of; conceive:

Experts pooled their talents to concept the new car.

in lieu

preposition

instead; as substitute

Examples from the web for lieu

• Below, a note advises check writers to use their dental records in lieu of the usual forms of identification.

• So is the red skullcap he often wore over his short-cropped hair, in lieu of a formal wig.

• Others release stylized art in lieu of standard press pictures.

• The trend is being fueled partly by improvements in the digital sensors that capture images in lieu of film.

• Unfortunately, the media has not been doing their job of demanding actual evidence in lieu of opinion.

• In order to allow them to move across flat landscapes, the scientists inserted motors that could supply power in lieu of gravity.

Bex, Bex, Bex! Best make sure you wipe your feet if you're going to keep stepping in cow pats like that. Take a closer look at the Sonex spar caps and reconsider.

Yes I looked again, thanks. I saw simple aluminium construction the second time around, just like the first time. I'll look a third time to make sure ..... yup, same.

I beg to differ

Beg all you want, there's nothing special about the design of the Sonex spars that can't be easily concepted and built to perform to an equal standard with local materials IN LIEU OF using Sonex bespoke parts.

I used the Morgan spar as an example because it is merely 2 x aluminium angle lengths, a piece of sheet and a couple of braces - performs exactly the same function without all the Sonex nonsense and there's a bunch of them flying.

I do my own concept designs anyway ...

1781563925_spars1.jpg.2f1ce90f82b330aadd87ee32c83f6cc4.jpg

an odd looking T shape,

Yuh, they should have just gone for a couple of cheap-ass "off the shelf" lengths of angle with the spar sheet up the guts maybe ..

588608893_spars2.jpg.e6457683a5dff8bdb47da5a8651db62c.jpg

having actually built one ..

Technically I can not argue the term "built", but "assembled" is more appropriate.

FWIW; I have concepted, designed, FEA'ed, built and destroyed a couple of sets of my own aluminium spars (from scratch with local common materials) as well as assembling, and modifying, some other kit ones that are similar.

This ain't a pissing contest by the way, I'm trying to demonstrate that there are other and easier ways to build things hoping to encourage the OP and others reading - and by goodness this sport needs that desperately. I go crazy reading posts over at HBA, I swear most of those blokes owns a big hammer and smashes themselves in the feet every day, they define whatever is the opposite to "K.I.S.S." is.

Hmm, maybe; "M.I.C.A.P" = make it as complicated as possible.

• Agree 1

Oops. You should read my post again.

This ain't a pissing contest by the way.

1. I did, and I still think your comment re Sonex spar caps is wrong. My comment was not directed at Morgan's.

2. Why else would you have your hand on it?

I see the concept of a grammarian has excited you, does that mean we will have Bex fulfilling that role in lieu of , or in addition to Daz? 045_beg.gif.b05ea876053438dae8f282faacd973d1.gif

p.s. Did you notice, while researching the meaning of words, that dictionary in not spelled with a K? kiss.gif.b85e4cbf93c012b498aab8fe7d5a5fe6.gif

By the way what Bex has done is how the Savannah spars are built...nothing special but they do come pre assembled in the kit but really there is no reason you couldn't do them yourself as there is no welding on them just the special rivets

poor old kev, his thread destroyed by the search for truth

I don't see that FT. Kev has been given lots of good choices to consider. Now he has a lot of research to do before he decides which way to go. I don't see that couple of posts challenging some opinions offered have destroyed his thread or damaged his quest for information. My opinion, yours may differ.

• Like 1

Possibly, the sonex spar extrusions are custom extrusions to stop outright copies

It's just for ease of construction and presentation.

An extrusion mold like that costs about $1500 here, but finding someone to do it in a 6 series is difficult (if it is a 6 series).

Possibly, the sonex spar extrusions are custom extrusions to stop outright copies

Just had a deeper look, the Sonex spar cap is reverse tapered outwards to maintain buckling strength near the root while reducing section thickness, i.e. unnecessary weight, as they taper it towards the tip. I thought the double taper shape on top followed the airfoil shape, but is doesn't, so Scott to that ....

1543175383_spar3.jpg.ddb98d194ad3adb78605dfef9866c283.jpg

289756183_spar4.jpg.6f7e5e7b75229a4b2615be71f5726a93.jpg

This requires a custom extrusion of course, but saves on messy multiple layers such

By the way what Bex has done is how the Savannah spars are built...nothing special but they do come pre assembled in the kit but really there is no reason you couldn't do them yourself as there is no welding on them just the special rivets

Same with the 701. I scratch built mine, I can say with hand on heart that I HATE solid riveting and never want to do it again. Well, after I finish this plane. But yes it's possible for even someone like me with bugger-all metalworking experience.

Bex.. you are close on the diagram above but not quite.

The extrusions are 6061 and do follow the airfoil shape on the front, not pretty if you mix them up as some hapless builders have discovered.

As Downunder postulated, only one set of spars are sold per planset to prevent multiple builds out of the one planset.

If a wing is damaged and requires a new spar I believe they will sell another if evidence of the damage is provided.

The Onex uses back to back right angled sections for simplicity.

• Informative 2

Guest Kevmarquand

hello all thanks for all the info. I am still keen on a high wing aircraft and like the looks of the tornado ss by titan aircraft. does anybody know of any aircraft that is similar with available plans?

Guest Kevmarquand

yeah ok. haha the breezy is unique but I prefer the enclose cockpit 004_oh_yeah.gif.82b3078adb230b2d9519fd79c5873d7f.gif.

I'm actually thinking about making my own design aircraft. by just copying the shape of say the tornado and then designing the frame on auto cad inventor. and then running a stress simulation to test the strength.

Bex.. you are close on the diagram above but not quite.

I saw pictures of the spar where the front half is surface profile but the rear half falls away, Scott me buggered why they do that.

I also just realised where you are, I hope I might drop in one day soon when I go to Mum and Dad's at Goolwa.

yeah ok. haha the breezy is unique but I prefer the enclose cockpit 004_oh_yeah.gif.82b3078adb230b2d9519fd79c5873d7f.gif

Look at the Mini Max range.

yeah ok. haha the breezy is unique but I prefer the enclose cockpit 004_oh_yeah.gif.82b3078adb230b2d9519fd79c5873d7f.gif.I'm actually thinking about making my own design aircraft. by just copying the shape of say the tornado and then designing the frame on auto cad inventor. and then running a stress simulation to test the strength.

alternately you could buy the Tornado SS fuselage and build your own wing. Make it a folding wing with the fuel tanks in the wing so you could use the behind the passenger for luggage.

It would be a pretty sweet plane with 130hp.