RA-Aus RPC to CASA RPL

Hi Peter. I did mine at Adelaide Biplanes too. Where are you building / basing your onex?

Build virtually finished. 99% was done in the shed at home, fitted wings and finishing touches at my hangar at Goolwa. Currently being painted by Custom Aircraft Maintenance. Fits in the back of our hangar really easily so will be based at Goolwa.

Cheers Peter

• Like 1

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 1 month later...

Flightscope Aviation Canungra, Goldcoast Hinterland QLD.

$220 per hr dual $180 private hire.

All RA Aus Flight training and Engineering

Tecnam P92 RG, Eurofox 3K and Moyes/Bailey Dragonfly.

Learn to fly "Right"..the first time!

• Like 1

To get the RPL all you need to do is fill out a few forms and send it off to CASA. You'll need to do a flight review before you can use the licence, this might take a few hours/lessons with a new instructor or aircraft. Any endorsements could be done at the same time as the review (assuming you're at the standard for them to be issued, and meet the required hours).

Unfortunately not the case.

Wasn't my experience. Send in paperwork and go to the doctor. Pretty simple. More complex if you have to change planes to do a flight test, but most Ga planes are easier to fly than Ra.

Again, unfortunately, not this simple.Just revisiting these posts because CASA moved the goal posts. Initially the deal was RA pilots could simply apply for a RPL. The catch is that before you can apply for the RPL you need the medical and the ASIC (or application) and before you can use the RPL you have to undertake a flight review in a GA aircraft. Most RA pilots have never flown a GA aircraft so it can be a bit of a steep learning curve there. Then when you get the paperwork there is a little sting in the tail. In applying for your RPL you have to declare your flying hours, including at least two hours instrument flying. Most RA pilots will not have done that as it is not a requirement for RA. Another little bite is the 'English Language' test where you have to demonstrate that you can understand foreign pilots attempting to speak English, and pay for that privilege. No mention was ever made of that in the past.

Applying for an ASIC is best done through CASA as the application alone is sufficient in the RPL application process. I made the mistake of applying through RAA and had to wait a month for the actual ASIC to arrive so I could include a copy of the issued ASIC.

I am now into my fifth week of waiting to obtain my RPL paperwork back from CASA. I feel sorry for those poor buggers. They must be totally run off their feet. 063_coffee.gif.b574a6f834090bf3f27c51bb81b045cf.gif Fortunately I have no pressing need as I can continue to fly on my RA licence.

Unfortunately not the case.Again, unfortunately, not this simple.

Just revisiting these posts because CASA moved the goal posts. Initially the deal was RA pilots could simply apply for a RPL. The catch is that before you can apply for the RPL you need the medical and the ASIC (or application) and before you can use the RPL you have to undertake a flight review in a GA aircraft. Most RA pilots have never flown a GA aircraft so it can be a bit of a steep learning curve there. Then when you get the paperwork there is a little sting in the tail. In applying for your RPL you have to declare your flying hours, including at least two hours instrument flying. Most RA pilots will not have done that as it is not a requirement for RA. Another little bite is the 'English Language' test where you have to demonstrate that you can understand foreign pilots attempting to speak English, and pay for that privilege. No mention was ever made of that in the past.

Applying for an ASIC is best done through CASA as the application alone is sufficient in the RPL application process. I made the mistake of applying through RAA and had to wait a month for the actual ASIC to arrive so I could include a copy of the issued ASIC.

I am now into my fifth week of waiting to obtain my RPL paperwork back from CASA. I feel sorry for those poor buggers. They must be totally run off their feet. 063_coffee.gif.b574a6f834090bf3f27c51bb81b045cf.gif Fortunately I have no pressing need as I can continue to fly on my RA licence.

The 2hours instrument flying is only for the Nav Endorsement and the English Prof for the Radio Endorsement. Both worthwhile endorsements to have but not actually required for a RPL.

Personally I sent the paperwork for just the RPL and got my endorsements signed off during my flight review.

The 2hours instrument flying is only for the Nav Endorsement and the English Prof for the Radio Endorsement. Both worthwhile endorsements to have but not actually required for a RPL.Personally I sent the paperwork for just the RPL and got my endorsements signed off during my flight review.

Technically true but this thread is about converting your RPC to the RPL. In converting all your RA endorsements originally they were simply to be recognised. Now that has changed and you have to do the extra work to enjoy the same privileges. So much for a straight conversion of RPC to RPL.

But following on from that. How can anyone sign off your cross country endorsement on your flight review if you haven't got the two hours of instrument flying? The way I read it, you can either transfer your RA endosements across with the additional training or you have to undertake the entire endorsement process from scratch to add to the RPL. That would mean redoing all your cross country time. So yes, you don't need the 2 hours up front but, unless someone is fudging your application, that will cost you an extra 5 hours flying.

The only additional endorsements I want is CTA and CTX. That will end up taking 3 or 4 hours. Altogether this conversion will have taken me about 10 flying hours.

No it's the same it has always been. (Since part 61). RPC gets you RPL but any endorsements will need to signed off by an instructor. For them to sign you off you need to meet certain requirements (ie 2 hrs instrument flight time for Nav).

I actually spent about 5 hrs getting up to speed with the aircraft type (c172 from j160), this included the 2 hrs flight instrument, radio, CTA/CTZ and flight review. I was lucky in that the club I went through did both GA and RAA so they were across the differences in the aircraft. But I had the RPL issued by CASA before I had started in the c172, that's the part that converts over with just the form (I already had the medical and ASIC).

• Agree 1
  • Informative 1

No it's the same it has always been. (Since part 61). RPC gets you RPL but any endorsements will need to signed off by an instructor. For them to sign you off you need to meet certain requirements (ie 2 hrs instrument flight time for Nav).I actually spent about 5 hrs getting up to speed with the aircraft type (c172 from j160), this included the 2 hrs flight instrument, radio, CTA/CTZ and flight review. I was lucky in that the club I went through did both GA and RAA so they were across the differences in the aircraft. But I had the RPL issued by CASA before I had started in the c172, that's the part that converts over with just the form (I already had the medical and ASIC).

but you can't fly otherwise than under instruction till you have done the review. This is where, having due regard to the part 61 MOS, an instructor will assess your fitness to pass the review and give you a tick.

You don't need the endorsements to fly, only if you are going cross country, using the radio or operating in controlled airspace.

Yes you need a current flight review to fly, that isn't different to any license class or even the pilot certificate. Nothing has changed since Sept 2014, it's the same requirements as back then.

• Agree 1

• 2 months later...
The latest Sports Pilot magazine has an excellent summary of each step required for RPC to RPL conversion - and to be honest it is a LOT of work and looks like a considerable amount of money out of pocket (like getting medicals). Was this your experience Kununurra?

No conflict of interest in that article of course ;)

I received my RPL five working days after posting the application form to CASA. Very impressed with the turn around time.

That's impressive, it took me 3 months to get my new and better than ever part 61 license. And then about 3 hours to tear all of the pages apart.

Tear all the pages - not happy with it or just fragile?

If you haven't seen a part 61 licence, it consist of about 5 A4 pages which must all be divided into quarters and put in a licence holder in the correct order. The American FAA licence is the same size as an RAAus certificate.

• Like 1

Rough costs

Medical was $275 if approved straight up

Conversion to GA aircraft to prepare for flight review minimum 2 hours at $240 hr

Flight Review $300ish

Two hours on instruments $240hr + Theory 2 hours $55 hr

Then CTA CTX endorsements

CTA endo 2 hours at $240hr + 1 hour theory at $55

English Level 6 Test $200 ish

Then RPL application fee $?? cant remember

And ASIC if you dont already have one approx $200

I know I have taught SC and HSC english and still require an English test... work that shit out...

CASA says its because an aircraft in CTA may not be able to speak english properly....

FFS doenst that mean they need an english test not me!

• Like 1
  • Agree 3

I can really understand the need for an English test. There are a couple of schools with students whose comprehension of English is tentative at best, and these guys passed the English test.

But what is the test now? Is it written? Do we need to do an Aural test of some description or something? $200 for an English test is a joke and seems to be a school trying to get an extra $200 out of you. Perhaps I am wrong and there is a formal process that requires a CFI for $200 worth of his time but otherwise I would be a bit sus on this.

You have to listen to a tape of an airline crew making radio calls with very broken English to ATC and then decipher what they are saying to make sure that you do not miss the important parts of the conversation.

Sorry common sense does not prevail your test is to listen to someone who can't speak English and figure out what they are saying it is all double Dutch but really not that difficult.

Pricing depends on you school I think.

You have to listen to a tape of an airline crew making radio calls with very broken English to ATC and then decipher what they are saying to make sure that you do not miss the important parts of the conversation.Sorry common sense does not prevail your test is to listen to someone who can't speak English and figure out what they are saying it is all double Dutch but really not that difficult.

Pricing depends on you school I think.

Seriously how ######## up is that logic...wouldnt that dictate that ATC should deal with them and then tell them they need a mandatory English test before they can ever re-enter Australian ATC, rather than get 2000 australian pilots who grew up in australia, spoke perfect english and passed hsc english do a $200+ test to prove they can speak english

• Agree 3

Shags before all this it was only level 6 speakers who didn't need anything formal and the CFI was able to access as to whether or not someone was level 6 only (from my understanding). My CFI joked that because we all speak fluent "Aussie" that he probably shouldn't give us level 6!