Yeah Mike, the 912 never starts on first kick-over but I am holding the throttle in left hand and starter key in right. Seems that the vibration of starter motor is turning off the "choke" before it has a chance to fire up. Need a 3rd hand or maybe just tighten up the choke toggle gland.

No problem with hot starting. No choke needed.

I have only done about 10 hours so far in the Sav. A lot to learn.

Appreciate the help. S

• Like 1

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yeah Mike, the 912 never starts on first kick-over but I am holding the throttle in left hand and starter key in right. Seems that the vibration of starter motor is turning off the "choke" before it has a chance to fire up. Need a 3rd hand or maybe just tighten up the choke toggle gland.No problem with hot starting. No choke needed.

I have only done about 10 hours so far in the Sav. A lot to learn.

Appreciate the help. S

I'd agree to ensure the choke gland nut is doing its job by tightening the friction so it stays open on startup. I saw a while ago that Mark Kyle sourced some metal gland nuts for his sav. They look a good update. If the attached info is helpful edit it to your engine model specs.

Rotax 912 start-up procedures.

Cold - Choke open; Throttle closed. When engine starts, increase to 2,000 rpm and slowly close the Choke and maintain

2,200 rpm during warmup.

Hot - Choke closed; Throttle idle. Turn

engine over and slowly advance the throttle until the engine starts. Once started advance for 1,800 to 2,200 rpm.

Flooded - Close Choke; Throttle fully open. Turn engine over, Be ready for start – Sudden high rpm on start, pull throttle back to 1,800 to 2000 rpm.

912ULS 2 Operating limits.

Max Take off 5,800 (Max 5 mins) 73.5kW

Max Continuous 5,500 69kW

Oil press. - Max 7 bar; Min 0.8 bar (below 3500 rpm)

Normal 2 to 5 bar (above 3500 rpm)

Oil temp. - Max 130º C, Min 50º C

Normal 90 to 110º C

CHT - coolant Max 120º C

EGT - Max 880º C

Fuel consumption – T/off 27 l/h, Max continuous 25 l/h

75 % continuous 18.5 l/h

Oil consumption – Max 0.06 l/h

Any exceeding of maximums is to be entered in Log book

Stating duration and extent of condition.

Cheers Mike

Rotax start and operating limits.doc

Good onya Mike. These numbers/procedures are all pretty much identical to my operators manual.

I pump the throttle once before cold start and turn on fuel pump until pressure 4psi.

Warm up is very slow in winter down here!

Pumping the throttle doesn't do anything. A CV carb has no accelerator pump. The choke only works fully effectively with the throttle closed. As said, it's not a choke in the normal sense. It's a mixing chamber of over rich mixture that bypasses the normal air flow through the carb. Nev

• Agree 1

Perhaps pumping the throttle was the previous owners way making sure it had full unobstructed movement and was in a known position at the beginning of start procedure.

In any case I now that it doesn't have to be done. Thanks. SC

Well, making sure the throttle is at idle or near is important particularly with hand swinging for starting, where you would check it with the cowl side up on a gypsy Major at the time you primed the engine. Nev

• 1 month later...

Update: 13 months since taking up aviation, about 70 hours in log book. Particularly harsh winter this year with lots strong winds and cloud.

Savannah going fine but still hard to start when cold. Fuel enricher toggle no better with friction gland tightened to the max. May have to invent some kind of gate to hold the toggle 'out' for starts.

Have done 2 Navex flights so far with instructor, each about 2 hours. Seems that she will fly level at 85 Kt using 5200 rpm and 80 Kt at 5000, burning ~17L/Hr PULP.

Have bought larger tyres x3 to fit the original 6"rims but decided to keep the smaller ones on during Nav training, for speed and better fuel burn. After that I'll be using the farm strip which is rougher and large low pressure tyres should help.

Hangar 90% complete. Bit more sheeting and backfill to level the floor, sturdy gates to keep out the cows is all. Decorative touches like name placard (Hazelgrove International) and large white letters HIA painted on the roof. Maybe a small (second) windsock mounted on the front gable apex. The big windsock is down other end of airstrip next to the threshold.

Looks like I will not be trained up enough to fly to Birdsville races this year as was an early plan but I'm not a risk taker and there'll be plenty of flying to do later.

• Like 3

• 1 month later...

Hangar: finished. X-C endorsement: done. Savannah 50-hour service: done by LAME at some expense but he fixed the cold starting issue. As it happens the choke toggle is not supposed to stay in the on position by itself. Ferry flight from Bathurst to the farm: completed today. 2112978147_hangarfinished.jpg.e20516e27bf2db517734a2be1d2b33da.jpg

• Like 7
  • Agree 1

Hangar: finished. X-C endorsement: done. Savannah 50-hour service: done by LAME at some expense but he fixed the cold starting issue. As it happens the choke toggle is not supposed to stay in the on position by itself. Ferry flight from Bathurst to the farm: completed today. [ATTACH=full]45980[/ATTACH]

Well done TD. . . .now it's time to practice some 'Surgically superb' landings at your strip. ( OK, I'll get me coat. . .) Just don't use any anaesthetic before flying ! ( even though several pilots I know smoke 'weed' so that the final impact doesn't hurt as much. . . )

Nice lookin' Shed there mate. .

Phil.

4:49 on a Sunday morning Dr. Zoos! Crikey you're keen.

New tyres yet to be fitted. 21 inch mains and Condor front which requires axle hole to be relocated.

Phil my airstrip does indeed require some practice. Uphill to the east with tall pine trees at the boundary and nearly always a slight tailwind.

Had some rather forgettable landings there last week with instructor on board....flaring too hard to allow for upslope and stalling onto the ground from too high (maybe 1m+)...splat! Later on found mud and grass embedded around brake calipers and looks like main gear spring has spread a bit...fortunately this is repairable.

After that we devised a new landing strategy: long glide approach with aim point well in front of threshhold. Power on (2500 to 3000 rpm) at start of flare. Power off as wheels touch. Works a treat.

• Like 2

May have to invent some kind of gate to hold the toggle 'out' for starts.

I had an old car with a choke knob that wouldn't stay out. I used a clothes peg clipped over the shaft which held it fine. I'm not familiar with your enricher arrangement but something simple like this may work.

Love your airstrip - that will keep your skills current!

Bruce

Thanks very much Planey. The warm welcome is much appreciated. I have attached a few of photo's of my two aircraft. Regards. Nick[ATTACH=full]46014[/ATTACH][ATTACH=full]46015[/ATTACH][ATTACH=full]46016[/ATTACH][ATTACH=full]46017[/ATTACH][ATTACH=full]46018[/ATTACH][ATTACH=full]46019[/ATTACH][ATTACH=full]46020[/ATTACH]

Welcome Nick.

Have you got a pic(s) of the interior of the 170 'Office' ? I Love the panels / controls on these lovely 'Earlybirds'

Phil.

Wow a great looking fleet...i really like the look of CBA

Would you be annoyed if I told you I've got Two in me logbook ?. . . .OK then,. . .I won't.

Got a '175 as well. . . but my fave is the C-180. Beefy bugger, plenty of grunt, and the third wheel at the correct end of the fuse. Almost. . .got the chance to fly a C-120 ( at a field near Mombasa) in '85, but I got a bad case of Delhi Belly, and couldn't travel far enough from a dunny for a day or so. . . .

• Like 1

Following on from the previous post I made,. . .

.I only needed he 120, and a 140, to complete my football card set. . . OH, and I've never flown, or even been close, to the Cessna twin Bamboo Bomber'. . .dunno if there's any left around ATM. .. this one is on my lotto winning bucketlist though. . . .along with a flight to the edge of space in a Russian Fighter. . . My mate Mo at the curry house says that the world is definitely flat, it says so in the Holy Qu'uran. . .but I wanted to go and have a look for myself,. . . .I suspected it wasn't . . .when I was five years old and put a threepenny bit into one of those seafront telescopes in Margate on the UK South Coast, and could't see the North coast of Australia. . .. Hmm. . .I thought,. . .suspicious this. . . .and then the bloody threepence ran out and it went blank. . . I was disappointed, as all I could see was bloody France. . . .

Just as an aside,. . . .when I was staying in Margate ( My dad knew the manageress ? ) we used to go there every year until 1959. . .in the 'Dreamland' amusement park they had a machine which, for threepence, would allow you to be a tail gunner in a Lancaster Bomber. . .

They used actual film footage of fighters attacking the Lanc from behind, and. . .how those gunners ever hit anytihing is beyond me,. . .the buggers cane at you so bloody fast. . . . .The only problem with these machines was that.. even though you got 2 minutes fr the money, that you couldn't tell if you'd hit the bugger, as CGI was not that good in the 1950s. . . .but the Gun sounds were GREAT . . . ! DADADADADADADADA. . . and included physical vibration of the handles when you fired the guns. . . .Wonderful stuff for daft kids. .. . . and their threepenny bits. . . .

When I got older, 'Threepenny bits' became a nickname for cetain ladies body parts,. . .but that. . . .is another story. . . .we were innocent of such things back then. . . .

AND. . .whilst I am imbued with too much alcohol,. . .I admit to 49 hours in a Citation. . .which I was forced to cease due to lack of finance when a company of which I was a director, ran into difficulties. Lovely little aircraft, but not much use on grass strips. . .Bloody Great for getting down to central France quickly though, and flying above most of the standard issue UK weather ! Had to drop my IR too,. . .too costly to maintain. . . so now I can only legally fly over what I can see thru the bloody front windows. . . .

Happy days. . . .