just another jab sortee

Russ

In a 160........impossible to get out as is. In a 230 etc....no probs.

Kaz / Kununurra......the big trip is on hold, waiting for a ph call telling me all's now ok to bolt a camit into my 160C. Was hoping the " legals" would have been finalised by now.

500+ hrs on my orig jab engine, no probs.....but this WA trip on this engine is making me twitchy, ( wife onboard makes it more concerning for me )

It's all serious tiger country enroute, and the chance of the noise going quiet, has been knawing away at me.......and that really gives me the shytes.

• Like 1
  • Agree 2

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I run an 0-320 in mine and I still get nervous over the rough stuff so I understand you want it A1 before you depart.

I did a lot of gliding many years ago and I still fly with the next potential out landing in mind. But, as I tell my friends in their super-fasts, at least I will crash slowly with a stall of 26 knots.

Back just after WWII, Major Vic Pedersen of the Salvos conducted an aerial patrol of Outback communities out of Darwin and later Kununurra; first in Tigers then in Austers. He ran out of noise over heavy timber just SW of Darwin and pancaked it in. He suffered some facial injuries but only because he had just a lap seat belt...no shoulder restraint. He flew (and crashed) a number of R&T types until he finally got a C180.

I recall he drowned a Tiger in the mangroves off Port Keats on one occasion because the flats he landed on disappeared under the 35' tide they have there. He had an Auster vandalised by crows who stripped the covering from a wing so that the fabric hung in great tatters from it. This he repaired using bedsheets from the station homestead and then flew back to base! I think you would have liked him, Russ 065_evil_grin.gif.2006e9f40863555e5894f7036698fb5d.gif

• Like 2

Booked/planned.....now waiting for my radio to be returned ( broke )NQ coastal Cooktown, up around into princess Charlotte bay, inland to musgrave stn , over night, then 3 days Weipa, coastal to horn island, 4 days fishing/ relaxing/ island hopping etc, coastal south cairns/home.

Forgot........in me trusty jab. ( the BIG trip next mth )

Was going to upload a screen shot ( route) ozrunway....site won't allow anymore ??? ( strange.....was ok before )

Hey Russ,

I'm sure you're going to have a ball. Your track is a virtual replica of a trip I did about ten years ago in my C172.

It's pretty straightforward flying regarding out-landing opportunities, except the legs that get you from Musgrave to Weipa, I have to admit I didn't like that bit at all but perhaps it was just the conditions on the day, yours may well be different. I went in September IIRC and it seemed that every Aboriginal owned station had decided that was the best time for firelighting so the vis was extremely limited for a lot of the time, large swathes of ground just disappeared under a blanket of smoke. In some ways it wasn't too bad, because the bits that were visible weren't landable anyway, long, long stretches of trees and rugged ground. Also had 4/8 stratocumulus at about 3500 most of the time so it was a constant toss-up between going under or over, I chose over for the first half then it became about 6/8 and the gaps were too small to get down at the destination, so the last part was under, it was 'pleasing' to see Weipa in the sights eventually.

At the time I recall thinking that if I do the trip again I'd follow the State Development Road to have more out-landing opportunities available.

Weatherwise the other 'moment' on the trip was returning Horn to Cairns, around Lockhart a stream of cloud tracking West-East and developing fast. When I first saw it I decided to go over it and commenced a cruise-climb from about 30 miles before it. At ten miles before it I could just see the horizon over it and was at 9000ft. There was no going under it as it was black-as underneath, and on the deck, and the only lower cloud tops were well out to sea, perhaps 15-20 miles offshore. I had to orbit and climb for a while and scraped over the top at ... well better not say on here, but it was 'quite high', highest I'd ever been in fact. Just at the apogee I was passed quite close to starboard by the QANTAS-LINK F27 that had left Horn 40mins after me, also bound for Cairns. We knew each other were there - we'd been chatting.

At Cairns I caught up with the QL crew and they told me that cloud-stream was a regular feature and the only way to be sure of avoiding it was to leave Horn at sparrows.

I don't know if they're still there as I haven't been in touch in a long while but I can recommend -

Craig and Nicole Jenkins run a fly- and sports-fishing operation called Strikezone in Weipa (07) 4069 9880

Bill Ennis ran Fishing and Marine Charters on "Karumba Miss", also out of Weipa 0428 697 232 or (07) 4069 8276 www.weipa.biz/6816.html

There's a shuttle-bus meets the QANTAS flights on Horn and takes you to the port - it's way too far to walk. From the port there's a ferry to Thursday Island which is really lovely but expensive. Book accommodation ahead if you want it, they're usually full. The Kazu Pearl shop in the main street is a must see and if you're into pearls you can buy them at 25% what you'd pay elsewhere. Mariko Tatsuzawa has owned and run the shop since time began, she may still be doing so. Kazu Takami owns the pearl farm that supplies it, he's a lovely man and fascinating. If you want a 'real' piece of the area you can arrange a trip with him if he likes the sound of you - unofficial trip, he doesn't run 'tours'. His pearl farm is on the waters around Friday Island and he knows places that no-one would find without the local knowledge ... he's hard to get hold of, but worth the effort, the TI factory is (07) 4069 1268, Cairns Office is (07) 4033 1988 [email protected]

The above was all ten years ago so apologies if any/all of them are no longer available.

If you haven't been there before Cooktown is terrific for those of us who love the more out-of-the-way towns and it's full of colourful characters of course. Princess Charlotte Bay was the big disappointment for me but then I'd previously seen plenty of mud-flats. The reef is way offshore and the mud-flats are just croc infested ooze with sporadic mangroves. Rustically colourful at the right state of tides though. Would be much better on the ground, especially for crabbing.

EDIT - actually a quick Google indicates that perhaps Kazu Takami does have tours of his pearl farm but I wasn't meaning that, I was meaning him taking you fishing, which could be around Friday, Wednesday, Goods or any of the other islands.

..... But, as I tell my friends in their super-fasts, at least I will crash slowly with a stall of 26 knots. .....

Erhmm - the Auster airspeed system has about 13 knots of position error at the stall - i.e. it reads about 13 knots low. That error reduces as the speed increases. A knot or two fast makes a big difference - and so does the smallest amount of water in the plumbing.

All POH speeds are given in IAS - that's a requirement. We used to tow gliders in the Auster at 42 KIAS - which indicated 50 in the Blanik, which has a particularly accurate ASI system. My first landing in my Mk III Auster (using the placarded approach speed) floated the full length of the Bankstown -29 runway. That's what started me digging into the Position Error. The Mk III did not have a POH, but there was a military AOP that gave the figures. They all had the same pitot-static head, so they all have much the same ASI system error. 13 knots slow at stall, and about 8 knots high at cruise.

.... - a normal pitot is accurate only to about 12 degrees angle from directly into the airflow. Manufacturers have been taking advantage of that to get unrealistic indicated stall speeds, for at least the last seventy years; for example, an Auster ASI reads 13 knots low at stall speed. FAR 23 put something of a stop to that, in the late '60s - but none of the aircraft mentioned meet FAR 23, least of all the Hornet, so the ASI error can be anything the designer wants. Are you all fooling yourselves?

You probably recall these quotes anyway Kaz. IIRC Dafydd went on to tell the tale of the fella who used to tow gliders with his Auster and was sure he used to land at about 30kts, but when Dafydd fitted it up with a calibrated ASI, swivelling pitot and trailing cone static I think he said the stall was about 40kts and the landings were actually at 48kts. I can't find the post unfortunately.

You probably recall these quotes anyway Kaz. IIRC Dafydd went on to tell the tale of the fella who used to tow gliders with his Auster and was sure he used to land at about 30kts, but when Dafydd fitted it up with a calibrated ASI, swivelling pitot and trailing cone static I think he said the stall was about 40kts and the landings were actually at 48kts. I can't find the post unfortunately.

I don't recall this post (age thing) so thank you for presenting it here.

My Auster has an 0-320 and some of the instrumentation is from a PA28 including the ASI.

I can't say much about the stall speed recording variation according to Dafydd, but I can comment that the ASI indication in cruise at 1000' on a cool, calm day correlates almost exactly with the ground speed shown on both my Garmin and Ozrunways (100 knots). I've been too busy with the office work to compare readings during a landing but I'll get a pax to help next chance I get. It did read higher than expected at 3000' on one occasion with an instructor on board but he is a big guy so we were pretty heavy on that occasion.

I can comment that there are some quite significant differences between the various Auster models, including the fitment and type of flaps. And I can also tell you that mine is travelling at a reassuringly (to me) slow pace when it reconnects with the Earth, especially on a hot day. Other pilots flying with me are perhaps not so reassured.

Kaz

I am not sure that the size of the pax could affect the accuaracy of the ASI.

Unless he was hanging over the seat that much that parts of him were outside the aircraft. 075_amazon.gif.0882093f126abdba732f442cccc04585.gif

Thanks HIC.....radio is away at microair, once it's back, we're off. Will shoot pics to ewes.

PNG, is tempting, rekin at 10k above horn Is, one could see the place.....

Tempting...( island hop, and there's zillions of them, most with strips.)

• Like 1

You had better take and share lots of pics Russ. I love that part of the country and would love to see it from the air, and until I get the opportunity looking at someone else's pics are as good as it gets:thumb up: and if you can jot a few lines down for each day all the more betterer 012_thumb_up.gif.cb3bc51429685855e5e23c55d661406e.gif012_thumb_up.gif.83e1b5422694a022eec36e1e8343f687.gif

I am not sure that the size of the pax could affect the accuaracy of the ASI.Unless he was hanging over the seat that much that parts of him were outside the aircraft. 075_amazon.gif.0882093f126abdba732f442cccc04585.gif

It's not about the ASI, it's the stall speed...

If your weight increases, then the amount of lift you must produce increases. But your maximum obtainable CL does not change. So for the same CLmax the heavier aircraft would have to fly faster, so the stall speed would increase.

• Agree 1

Me bloody radio, ( microair) ...chaps at bundy still haven't had a chance to look at it, and I'm getting desperate, rang medellsons to source a new one, sorry pal we don't stock any more, too many returned for repairs...

So........option is another brand, that has to fit same hole....bewdy, there is a German one "Funke"...around $2100.

My question......any feedback re this radio....good/bad.

Mendellsons can supply adaptor loom, to just plug in, makes it simple.

Try Jamie at Jabiru.

I had a similar problem some time ago and they lent me one until mine was fixed.

Charged for it and was credited when returned.

When I ordered my new plane, I stipulated two radios. I wasn't that confident with just one, however no hassles since.

PHIL.

Rang microair again today...STILL haven't looked at it. No techs, best response......hope to look at it a week....or 2. ( that'll make it near on 4 weeks now ) and that's not definite...

Just for the hell of it.....I asked about a " loan" even offered to pay a fee....sorry russ, don't do loans. How about send it by courier to where ever your tech is......sorry mate can't do that either.

Spoze I just add me name to the growing list of disgruntled microair users.

Hats off to jabiru tho......they've come to the rescue for me.

• Like 1

Hats off to jabiru tho......they've come to the rescue for me.

In the early days when they were having problems with their oil cooler, I was near Burketown enroute to Kunnanurra,

They somehow got a replacement to me to pick up when I landed.

Meanwhile they explained how to bypass the cooler safely until then.

Still amazed at the service received.

PHIL.

• Like 2

Another Jab sortee today - two Jabs from YLTV to YTOC and one returned to YLTV. The reason being I ferried my mate's SP6 to YTOC to be close to where he now lives (Cobram). Neither missed a beat. Laurie.

• Like 2

Off to the AAAA flyin at Echuca this weekend in company with two other Jabs from Cobden (Southern Vic). Hope the weather cooperates. The AAAA flyin is one of the best collections of classic aircraft you will ever see in the one place at the one time. Bring on Saturday !!.

• Like 2

Off to the AAAA flyin at Echuca this weekend in company with two other Jabs from Cobden (Southern Vic). Hope the weather cooperates. The AAAA flyin is one of the best collections of classic aircraft you will ever see in the one place at the one time. Bring on Saturday !!.

Weather up here looks good, Bill. Lunch at Shepp Saturday is always good. Breakfast Sunday morning, too.

Kaz

• Like 2
  • Caution 1

Update from microair........sorry for the inconvenience russ, we've got tech onto it today..

So there you go, they've pulled a rabbit out of a hat.....good on em. Torres straits, here we come. ( fishin,drinkin, relaxin,lookin)

• Like 3

Update #2 ........spoke to microair, I was keen to know what was wrong with my radio, it turns out easy fix, the terminology " out of alignment" ....radios as they age, need resetting back to specs......the little buggers "drift"

....so there you go.......think about your own radios before they go feral.

I find it incredible that a radio has to be re aligned ( if in fact that is what is required in this case) as I have never known this situation to happen on any radio, maybe the few 100 or so I've installed were all good. If it was an early cavity type transponder then I would understand.

Reminds me of another brand Radio, the faults were always blamed on the installation, never the factory's fault - yeah right.

Most of the others work well & I see that Trig also have a new one, haven't seen one & don't know the price.

3 things I suggest are important for the enjoyment of flying.

1. Engine keeps running when you want it to.

2. Radio works.

3. Good audio - ie headsets & intercom

In the above 3 YGWYPF generally. ( you get what you pay for)

• Agree 1