Aircraft without radios

Obviously those that were running Dick Smith Electronics lately had forgotten Tandy. DSE went down the same path, morphing from an electronics store to a toy and gadgets store and suffered the same fate as Tandy. Jaycar seem to be heading the same way also.Those who forget the lessons of the past are doomed to repeat them.

I'm also doomed, where am I going to get parts for my crystal set !

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

• Replies 264
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

003_cheezy_grin.gif.c5a94fc2937f61b556d8146a1bc97ef8.gif..........unRealistic? Phil....only those that remember Tandy Electronics would get it!Wayne.

That's the trouble with my bizarre humour Wayne,. . .I sometimes add a lttle yeast to my stories. .. . ( anything to Raise a giggle )

I've got my Old crystal receiver but don't think it'll pick up anything now the long wave has washed away. Also have my Morse practise set put away, don't know why, I'll never use it.spacesailor

Morse can be very useful mate,. . . so don't forget it all. Never know,. . .one day you might be chucked into a cell in Indonesia, for forgetting to get the right airways clearance,. . .If you remember your morse,, you could at least tap on the pipes and discuss with your co-pilot what you fancy from the prison canteen menu ? ?

Have you folks got a date for changeover to 8.33 KHz ?. . . . ours is ( as aforementioned Jan1st 2018 ) have any of you read anyting about this yet ?. . .I read a very good article about it last year, . . . .explaining why the channel readout on your aircraft radios will not indicate the actual radio Frequency you are using, as they do at present. . . . velly intellesting. . . . . .

If I can find the article, . . .I'll post in on here. Until last week, I had no idea that Aus. were converting as well,. . .we were told initially that it was a Euro thing. . .so we all did the usual shoulder shrug and said. . .here we go again. I actually think that it is a brilliant idea, having three times as many frequencies to use and confuse all the new pilots. . . . . .

Some of you may remember a post I made a couple of years ago, explaining what was happening with this here in Europe, and got not a lot of responses.

It is still a couple of years away, but I flew with a friend today in his Ikarus C42, and he'd already got a hybrid radio which did both. . .ie, 25 KHz as well as 8.33. . . .I asked why he'd bothered to spend that much on a hybrid, and he replied that he could afford it. . . . No argument with that BUT . . .when I told him that any radio set capable of 25 KHz channeling had to be altered so that no accidental transmission could be made on the Politically Incorrect frequencies after the cutoff date, he wasn't so smug. I asked him to contact the supplier to find out what the cost of reprogramming would be to comply with the new regs in 2018; and he has not . . thus far. . .let me know.

Sometimes, " Jumping the gun" isn't as clever as it may seem. . . .

I've got my Old crystal receiver but don't think it'll pick up anything now the long wave has washed away. Also have my Morse practise set put away, don't know why, I'll never use it.spacesailor

Never throw out old stuff like that. One day it might come in handy.

Submarines still use Longwave, . . .and Super longwave,. . .as VLF is the only radio band, which will travel any useful distance under the seas. . . . so you never know,. . .your old crystal set might be able to pick up one of Vlad's subs,. . .coming to take over God's own country at some time in the future,. . . .That little Crystal set could make you the most popular bloke in the neighbourhood. . . . .Just hope that you don't need the "I'm sorry Dick. . . It doesn't work. . ." label when you really need it to. . . .since Dick sold the company years ago, and couldn't really give much of a a feck. . .. . .

On the Dick Smith thread, you happened to mention that you got your radio gear from Dick Smith,. . .don't you think that this was a little unRealistic ?008_roflmao.gif.692a1fa1bc264885482c2a384583e343.gif 011_clap.gif.c796ec930025ef6b94efb6b089d30b16.gif 004_oh_yeah.gif.82b3078adb230b2d9519fd79c5873d7f.gif

This forum would be dead without you Phil 012_thumb_up.gif.cb3bc51429685855e5e23c55d661406e.gif

Some background that may help.The most recent (current) ACMA standard for air band radios (ground mobile and ground portables) which CASA also requires for portables in aircraft (refer AIP GEN 1.5-3) was enacted in 2012, and Icom Australia expected new compliant models to be available from Icom Japan before stocks of the old ones ran out. Unfortunately, this did not happen, and the revised model(s) have not yet been manufactured. Icom is working with ACMA to see if special permission can be provided for the interim supply of one of the other portable models to meet industry demand. However, this is currently in the hands of the ACMA, so it's impossible to give a reliable timeframe for when or if this will happen.

The IC-A210 has been permanently discontinued as it was previously approved for installation by CASA via a CAR 35 process but this instrument has lapsed in favour of CASR21. Units previously installed may continue to be used, but new installations are no longer approved. (RAAus requires that fixed mount radios carry CASA approval, according to the tutorial.) see: approved apparatus may be used; refer to AIP GEN 1.5']http://www.recreationalflying.com/tutorials/comms/licence.html#communications which reads: "If it is a fixed installation only Civil Aviation Safety Authority [CASA] approved apparatus may be used; refer to AIP GEN 1.5"

I hope this helps

John R.

I finally found this . John who works for Icom now elaborated about the issues with CASA and ACMA reasons behind all the crap with the australian version airband radios so here is a small explanation

Mark

Hi Mark,

Was it you or someone else here that mentioned TX watchdog timers? Is this the only reason why the Icom airband radios/handhelds are no longer compliant? Because that lack such a timer? Or is there some other compliance issue?

And if I am getting my head around all this. Then does this mean that the IC-A15 handheld has received special CASA/ACMA dispensation for continued sale because there are no other ground options available. Even though they are still strictly non-compliant (for some reason). Further, that if you already have an IC-A15 installed in a fixed ultralight installation then it is alright to continue using it. But that any new fixed installations of an IC-A15's would be verboten?

Steve.

Ungrounded

Thats wat Icom told me and also the timeout timer is a ACMA issue. Any radio bought before the decision dat which I think was mid 2014 will be fine as it is not retrospective and yes the A-15 is under a special dispensation. I have a email here from Icom

Icom Australia Airband Update

Icom has just received special permission from the ACMA to resume sale of the IC-A15 air band portable radio as a non-standard device in the interim period before a fully compliant radio is available.

Users should be made aware that these units may not meet the full performance requirements of the current A/NZS standard and should evaluate the supplied performance characteristics against their needs.

The radios will be supplied with documentation outlining the conditions of supply and will be marked so that users can be sure they are receiving an appropriately configured device.

Additional information will be available from both the Icom and ACMA websites soon.

Dealers may order the IC-A15 immediately, however we do not expect to begin shipment until the week of December 15th. Please be patient as stocks are currently limited.

Icom regrets the inconvenience to the industry that the shortage of air band radios has caused and is working to develop fully compliant radios.

Please do not hesitate to contact Icom on 03 9549 7500 or at [email protected] if you need any further information.