3 axis ultralight flight training near Brisbane, Australia?

I've had a great experience at airsport qld with David Briffa, at Boonah (1 hr from Brisbane). Id highly recommend him as an instructor. It's also a beautiful area to learn in - in the scenic rim.Michael

Well, I took a while to get myself sorted. We made our way to Boonah and got talking to some folk who pointed out that whatever I want to fly, I might as well do the RA-Aus conversion in one o them fancy ultralights. Did a flight with with Dave in his TECNAM P96. What a lovely plane, feels similar (what with my failing memory :D ) to the Piper Warrior. Will be doing another flight this weekend. You are right, Dave is a great instructor :)

And yes, great place fly. Since I am mostly in it for fun, might as well have some nice scenery! And the guys there seemed friendly too.

• Agree 3

Well, I took a while to get myself sorted. We made our way to Boonah and got talking to some folk who pointed out that whatever I want to fly, I might as well do the RA-Aus conversion in one o them fancy ultralights. Did a flight with with Dave in his TECNAM P96. What a lovely plane, feels similar (what with my failing memory :D ) to the Piper Warrior. Will be doing another flight this weekend. You are right, Dave is a great instructor :)And yes, great place fly. Since I am mostly in it for fun, might as well have some nice scenery! And the guys there seemed friendly too.

You wont go wrong with Dave & Airsport Qld, Dave really knows his stuff, Just about to finish my GA to Ra-Aus conversion and cant recommend them enough.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

• 2 weeks later...

Well so far I’ve had 3 flights at airsports. I am quite rusty but going well. I am a bit disappointed in my FORMER training though. Dave said ‘ ok we’re going to do spiral dives. Do you remember them?’. And for the life of me I can’t recall ever having practiced those! I’ve looked through my logbook and there is no mention of having done them. Glad I have now though!

• Like 1

Now if the could just fit real wings to a goldwing. Heated seats, heated handgrips, heated air ducted to your feet, stereo, 6 stacker cd and airbag. Oh what a Drifter that could be. Could be a little on the heavy side.

Wash yer mouth out!!! The proper thing to do with a Goldwing is to hang it off a chain to stop yer boat drifting. 074_stirrer.gif.5dad7b21c959cf11ea13e4267b2e9bc0.gif

In any case that's exactly how we went from Drifters to Slings and other assorted fast expensive things, not that Goldwings are fast, mind.

Wash yer mouth out!!! The proper thing to do with a Goldwing is to hang it off a chain to stop yer boat drifting. 074_stirrer.gif.5dad7b21c959cf11ea13e4267b2e9bc0.gifIn any case that's exactly how we went from Drifters to Slings and other assorted fast expensive things, not that Goldwings are fast, mind.

Strange you should mention hanging things of chains to stop boats drifting, I think that is where the Jabiru motor that I took out of my plane ended up LOL.

If you don't think Goldwings are fast you are riding with the wrong group. 015_yelrotflmao.gif.6321765c1c50ed62b69cf7a7fe730c49.gif

• Like 1

I fly drifters at Clifton. Also jabirus but the Drifter is more fun. It's a three axis motorcycle. Great safe countryside under you. Nice clubhouse with accommodation. Stay a weekend with a good bunch of people. Very good training.

• 1 month later...

SO I've done a few more hours in the TECNAM P96. My learning goes in fits and starts but I am well on the way to 're-soloing' . One thing Dave pointed out though is that this sort of aircraft has quite a low inertia and so I have to be more attentive to the speed. Until he mentioned it, it hadn't occurred to me but yes, the speed washes off a lot faster than the Piper Warrior I learnt to fly in. So I will have to be much more mindful of the ASI!

i tell you what I'm NOT missing though- all those bloody radio calls when learning at Darwin! From memory there were five frequencies to change to from getting into the plane until landing again. Then again, where else would you be learning to fly and while you are in a circuit a pair of FA-18's take off together below you 003_cheezy_grin.gif.c5a94fc2937f61b556d8146a1bc97ef8.gif

• Like 1