New Site Menu Implemented - Test Run

Admin

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It's just like Airservices updating new documents every 5 minutes, just because they can.Leave it alone. Get a different hobby.

The previous menu will return in the morning once this test version has had 24hrs for comment as most comments are adding value to improving the site for everyone

Thank you for your comments. The menu system has been reverted back to the previous one now. I will take your comments into consideration whilst continuing to develop the new menu system for the site...thanks again!

• Like 3

Version 2 of the new menu system based on your very helpful comments is coming along nicely and you can see it on development live test site at www.aircraftpilots.net BUT please note the mobile phone version hasn't been developed yet plus this example is just testing functionality and not full cosmetics.

Anyway, please have a look and let me know your thoughts at this stage...thanks...a site menu system IS the most important part of a site and MUST be usable, easy, friendly and obvious

I have just implemented the new updated updated Site Menu System that was based on your comments...thanks greatly for them.

This is a test run to see if you like it, it is easy to use, and most importantly you can see everything that this great resource has to offer...please let me know what you think...thanks

Incidentally, and I know it will come up...but here is the low down on the What's New feature...

1. The "New" in the Menu Column when clicked/tapped will display all the New Posts that you have not read yet.

2. If you want to see ALL Posts made in the last 14 days up to a total of 200 posts, you can click the "Posts (14 days)" in the Sub Menu bar across the top under the header

3. You can flick between "New Posts" and "Posts (14 days)" by simply clicking between the 2 options on the sub menu bar whilst on the "New" page.

• Informative 1

Oops, the slide out menu tested ok but it isn't showing on my phone...will look into it. The rest of the menu is showing on my phone i.e. the account menu, alerts, conversations, new and to the top...it is just the slide out menu that isn't showing

• Like 1

I have always been one that enjoys hitting the new (21 days) option as I like to see the threads I have already read (sometimes I reread them as my memory sucks!). I don't mind having the 14 days option but it now requires me to scroll back to the top to select it or hit new and then select it which is an extra click (Lazy aren't I), anyway it may be just me but I would like to see it come back as an option on the side menu.

• Agree 1

I have always been one that enjoys hitting the new (21 days) option as I like to see the threads I have already read (sometimes I reread them as my memory sucks!). I don't mind having the 14 days option but it now requires me to scroll back to the top to select it or hit new and then select it which is an extra click (Lazy aren't I), anyway it may be just me but I would like to see it come back as an option on the side menu.

Seems to be back again:thumb up: thank you

This time...the new menu system has been tested and tested and I can't seem to find a single bug. The problem before was I was trying to make the code so efficient that I kept running into problems which to fix made the code a lot less efficient and scrambled. This time I completely rebuilt it and made sure it all worked and then started to create efficiencies and whilst it may not be as efficient as I had hoped it is still bloody good as it started at 2,500 lines of code and got it down to 1,500 lines of code. The menu system before with the slide out was 1,350.

Yes I know about the "New Posts (14 days)" being on the sub menu bar but there just isn't enough real estate in the column for it if those on iPads with bigger fingers are to be able to tap the Main Menu items however in consolation you now only have to tap once to go to other areas of the site instead of twice 001_smile.gif.2cb759f06c4678ed4757932a99c02fa0.gif

Damn it...The Search tested and works on the PC...great, on my Samsung Galaxy Phone...no problems, on my iPad...all good as well. Just tried it on my Samsung Galaxy Note Pro 12" tablet that uses the PC view and it doesn't :faint:doesn't make sense

Anyway, I will keep it live and try and sort out an answer for the search as it is only affecting 1 type of device...this one is going to be hard

Found the problem with the Search...it affects all older Android Tablets and old phones. I am not sure how to overcome this.

The issue is that when you go to enter a search text on Android older devices, the keyboard comes up taking real estate off the web site. The automatic switching that is in the code that switches the menu system from side column PC view to top row and slide out on mobile phones reacts to the smaller real estate and switches over thus trying to redraw the menu which automatically closes the keyboard which gives the real estate back which then triggers the automatics switching again and redraws the site back again...a loop impacting the Search function.

It doesn't happen on iPads as their keyboard comes up over the top of the web page as Android does on newer devices.

It must have been the same problem with the old menu when trying to enter a 140 character status of yourself at the bottom of the Account drop down but I never noticed it or anyone said anything

As a result of 2 weeks of hard work in trying to create a site menu system that tries to bring the focus of the site as a whole resource and not just forums, the menu system will just not work 100% on every kind of device whether it be a PC of different screen sizes, tablets of all different sizes, makes and models, and every type of mobile phone make, model and size.

Whilst I personally like having a menu system down the side making the site a pleasure to use on tablets without your hand leaving the side to tap buttons etc, and a sticky menu system that is always at your fingertip on tablets and mobile phones, I just can't do it when also wanting all the site's features and resources on display to catch your eye.

With this in mind I am going to can the whole column menu system and revert the menu system back to the forum software default meny system which has the main menu and sub menu across the top of the page on all type and sized devices. I will look at making the menu bar sticky though which hopefully will be some consolation to you all.

Please accept my apologies for disrupting your use of the site in recent days...thanks.

Incidentally, if you would like to see what I mean by the default software menu system, down in the left side of the page footer you will see the word "Default Style", click that and click the "Standard" style in the pop out window. After you have had a look click the "Standard" in the left of the footer again and select "Default Style" which will show the site as normal now.

• Like 1

Hi Ian,

When I click "New" I get a short list of the unread - when I click on one thread it takes me there, but it is still as I left it previously (time, last post etc), and I have to hit the "reload current page" icon to get it to update.

As an example I click "New" and the thread "New Site Menu Implemented ..." is listed with latest from SDQDI, but when I click on it it takes me to Page 2 (not page 3 which is the latest) and when I reload, the rest of page 2 appears and page 3 becomes an option. Have only noticed this happening today.

Sue

Sue, I am aware of your very slow connection so I am wondering whether it is a site load time problem...can you tell me when it happens is your Browser still refreshing?

This is a story...about a lovely Lady, and 2 incredible kids...

When I am coding I am oblivious to everything, I sit here day after day, not shaving, no social activity...spiders weave their web all around me...I just couldn't make the new menu system work...so I gave up.

Yesterday I started creating an enhanced version of the software default menu system and it started to take shape looking like this:

1.jpg.3070ef88ffeb5b5156c27bd3368f8002.jpg

The kids came home from school and being so focused they just received a grunt from me when they said hello. They said "enough is enough Daddy", I apologised and said I wasn't happy because I couldn't do what I was trying to do, I showed them what I was now doing and asked them what they thought. They both said "it's so old fashioned Daddy, we liked your menu system down the side"..."OLD FASHIONED", I cried, sending me down into the depths of even more failure.

Sitting for one thing that tears me away from my desk, watching Home and Away last night, I never miss my "Home and Away" no matter what I am doing and Corrine noticed I was so grumpy, she asked why? Corrine would normally say to the kids "Build a bridge and get over it", which in the mood I was in would have sent me right off but NO, she asked what she could do to help. I told her that I had failed in my new menu system and the kids said the one I was now creating was old fashioned.

Corrine in all her wisdom, having no clue in coding, simply said "Well Ian, I have never ever known you to give up on anything and the harder it gets the more drive you have". I explained that this time my brain is all scrambled, I can't think of any concepts, I CAN'T resolve the issues with the new menu system. Again, she reiterated with a "Ian, the impossible you always do, you just take a little longer to achieve the miracles". Here's an idea" she said, "the search function works in the old menu on all devices, the search function doesn't work properly on all devices in the new menu, why not use the new menu with the old menu search function?".............................................................................thinking.............................................................thinking...............................................................WHAT THE!!!!!!!...I've got it, I'VE GOT IT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I jumped up, yes even leaving the last 10mins of Home and Away, and was going to my office when Corrine yelled at me..."Now, sit and watch the last 10mins of Home and Away, then have a bath, NOT a shower, soak in it for half an hour, then have a shave because you have a beard now Ian, THEN go and try it out your idea.

Today, it is all fixed and loaded on the site for all approval...I hope you like it and it is bug free. PLEASE let me know if you find any issues

The point is, NEVER EVER underestimate the greatness of your family...they make us what we are. I love you Corrine, Caitlin and Lachlan!

• Like 3
  • Winner 1

Sitting for one thing that tears me away from my desk, watching Home and Away last night, I never miss my "Home and Away" no matter what I am doing

I was an extra in home and away in 2007 and I am still friends with a number of the cast members, well former cast members now in the likes of Christie Hayes, Tessa James and a few others.

I run on laptops here: one keeps me company (and helps answer questions) next to my build.

I like the new expanded menu at the left there: I have been in the habit of using only small parts of the site, and it prompts me that there is a lot more to look at, and somehow makes it feel more accessible.

I think with the little red boxes people are asking about (and I asked about a while back): can you make the 'mark all as viewed' button more obvious, and more consistent as to where it is when visiting those different areas? At the moment, it feels a bit pesky to have to go looking for it in different places.

• Like 1