Australian Residential Airparks

Guest Bendorn

Guest Bendorn

Get me to the Whitsunday Airport...... How good is that? Mega bucks I expect.

I've checked out the Wentworth Aerodrome. There's some merit in that plan.

I'm curious if this type of lifestyle appeals to many here?? Not so much tied to an operational airport, but I private strip with large blocks for house and hanger, like the French Vendee Airpark link that I originally posted.

Ben

Guest High Plains Drifter

Ben, my gut feeling is that an airpark needs a bit of size to it to add interest - i.e. theres always something going on. Being near other non aviation activitys, shops etc, would I think be a requirement.

Heres a link that shows some good aeros, plus some views of an airpark http://www.airshowbuzz.com/videos/view.php?v=61d01e61

when i was flying out of the Oaks, i always said when i win powerball, i will buy it, and turn it into an airpark! houses along the oaks side on the eastern runway, and to the south of the area, and keep the existing airstrip for the RAA flyers and regulars.

• Like 1

Guest Flyer40

Ben, Moruya air park is not up and running, although planning is/was well advanced for Eurobodalla Shire Council to redevelop the airport including an airpark, holiday cabins, new terminal etc. It's an outstanding concept that would be a real asset to aviation generally. And it's good to see a council with vision taking an interest in its airport rather than trying to turn it into short-term cash.

It's been quiet for some time now, perhaps it wont happen. I certainly hope it does. You can read about it here http://www.esc.nsw.gov.au/BDev/airport.html

Mal

Wow - that Whitsundays one looks good - one of those houses on the airpark and a yacht charter company in Airlie Beach - thats a lifestyle change I could handle.

• Agree 1

Ian, i was groundsman at Whitsunday (shute) for 4 years when Kevin Bowe owned it.

The drawings for northern end of the residential side have been drawn up for some time. The wet season and cyclone storm surges will be a bit of a worry. I've seen the beavers and renegade floating with the tie downs tight as a drum and water flowing thru the terminal. so plan well. before talking up the job with Kev i sailed a 45ft Crowther cat on day trips out of airlie, i've seen plenty of bareboat disasters so if you do end up in the biz send your boats out with a skipper. i loved racing on the retired maxis. any other yatchties out there?

Ozzie

Ian, i was groundsman at Whitsunday (shute) for 4 years when Kevin Bowe owned it.The drawings for northern end of the residential side have been drawn up for some time. The wet season and cyclone storm surges will be a bit of a worry. I've seen the beavers and renegade floating with the tie downs tight as a drum and water flowing thru the terminal. so plan well. before talking up the job with Kev i sailed a 45ft Crowther cat on day trips out of airlie, i've seen plenty of bareboat disasters so if you do end up in the biz send your boats out with a skipper. i loved racing on the retired maxis. any other yatchties out there?

Ozzie

Ozzie, sounds horrible - hope the houses are above the "water line" !!. I am not actually seriously contemplating that type of sea change - although we do talk about investing in a charter business there sometimes. Went close a few years ago when one of the classic schooners was for sale up there with its business. I agree that bareboat would be a bit risky !

I've had some great times over the ten years i was there. i recommend the lifestyle. the strip is not as bad as it came across. if you build anywhere up there you have to plan for the prospective of having to deal with 4inchs+ an hour of rain occasionally.

There has been a lot of discussion about sealing shute. be a big plus for the wet season. Great place to fly into even just for a coffee. shame the developers are going crazy around the town.. if to do it again i would go to Bowen which i would find more appealing now.

ozzie

Guest palexxxx
There is also Yarrawonga in the NE of Victoria. Handy to Lake Mulwalla if you like fishing.David

I just got back today from the Cod Classic at Yarrawonga on cod opening weekend and while I was up there I had a look at the Yarrawonga airodrome/airpark.

I had a look last year and saw that there were a number of hangers but only one building which could be described as a house. It appeared a couple of hangers were being lived in. Nothing has changed.

Yarrawonga is certainly not in the same league as the other airparks in this thread. You'd really have to love your fishing to think about building a house there.

Peter.

Guest Bendorn

Well it looks as though there a few about but nothing developed like those seen in the USA or Europe...... as yet.......

Does anyone know of a private airpark not attached to a public aerodrome?

Guest keanlim

It would be great if someone developed a residential airpark in Victoria. I saw an ad in the Aviation Trader a couple of months ago seeking expression of interest for an airpark in Geelong area. But no news back from them and no progress report on it.

Guest Bendorn

I think they're a wonderful idea. I'd be interested to know what rules and regs one would have to abide by if it was for private use for residents only (and guests of...).

The biggest hurdle would be the council planning and possible objections from neighbouring properties, although having say, 250 acres with a strip down the middle and 40 homes built around it...... Sounds good to me.

Bought my first Jabiru some years ago from a guy in a private airpark not far from Noosa - grass strip down the middle - surrounded by ???about 10 houses with varying acreages -- everything from small houses with hangars and Jabs to huge houses with multiple aircraft and one guy who was commuting to Sydney in his twin --Ii was very impressed with the whole setup.