MOGAS or AVGAS - remote area refueling options

We seem to be straying quite a way from the original topic(s)

Sometimes a spare tank in the back and an electric pump is the only option. Between YHIN and YNTN there is no fuel on Sundays unless you divert to YCOE. Having fuel on board with a means of delivery makes sense.

• Agree 1

• 1 month later...
  • Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

On the same subject but a different question, what is involved in safely and leagally running an O320 Lycoming on Mogas? I have heard of one pilot who runs mogas in one tank and avgas in the other.

I’m told buy a fuel guy this is ok, in fact you can get an STC for it.

The issue is to ensure you don’t get fuel with methanol as it can strip your seals.

So buy it from a reputable supplier as dishonest suppliers mix fuels.

The key is, add water to a jar and mark the level with a texta. Add the fuel, shake it and let it settle. If the height of the avgas is higher than the original mark, you have methanol....use it in your car, not your plane!

Shandy it with avgas and only in one tank....keep one tank always for avgas only, for takeoff and landing.

I’m told buy a fuel guy this is ok, in fact you can get an STC for it.The issue is to ensure you don’t get fuel with methanol as it can strip your seals.

So buy it from a reputable supplier as dishonest suppliers mix fuels.

The key is, add water to a jar and mark the level with a texta. Add the fuel, shake it and let it settle. If the height of the avgas is higher than the original mark, you have methanol....use it in your car, not your plane!

Shandy it with avgas and only in one tank....keep one tank always for avgas only, for takeoff and landing.

Ethanol is the bad ass. This is what you test for with water. Metho is the one adulterated with methanol. Drink that and it will blind you.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

• 2 weeks later...

I am building a Zenith CH750STOL. My solution is to tap a dry-break fuel fitting into two steel jetty cans, and attach a permanently plumbed fuel line with it's own small 12V pump after 90 minutes of flight.

The fuel line is connected directly to a wing tank.

What I like about this set up is that I have the jerrys when I land, it is simple and I am not double-handling the fuel.

I take my 2 x empty cans to the servo, fill them and then just lift them into their brackets behind the seat. When one is pumped empty, I gave it another hour or so and then remove the dry-break hose and attach it to the second can, turn on the pump and fill the wing tank again.