CASA - Have your say: Weight limit for aeroplanes

Admin

Have your say: Weight limit for aeroplanes administered by Approved Self-Administering Aviation Organisations

CASA would like your feedback on a proposal to increase the maximum take-off weight limit for aeroplanes able to be administered by Approved Self-Administering Aviation Organisations (ASAOs).

We would like your views on how an increased weight limit (from 600 kg up to a maximum of 760 kg) would impact you, the broader aviation community and aviation safety.

Find out more by visiting the Consultation Hub and have your say by the 28 September 2019 deadline.

Without an increase in stall speed, this won’t help those with a J200 which are limited to 540kgs due Stall speed.

Good point, what is the policy on stall speed for above 600kg, can't recall reading about that. 

Good point, what is the policy on stall speed for above 600kg, can't recall reading about that. 

It appears from the CASA consultation release that they are ONLY looking at a possible weight increase to 760kg.

They are NOT proposing any increase to stall speed. I would think this will limit a lot of 760kg MTOW aircraft from being considered as the stall speed at that weight will be above 45kts. This would be the case for the RV4/6 for example.

Without an increase in stall speed, this won’t help those with a J200 which are limited to 540kgs due Stall speed.

Nothing a pair of -230 or -250 wing's won't fix. Simples. ?

Yep  I filled it in and gave them my opinions ?

The new Rans S21 Rotax powered fits in perfectly to the new proposal but not the 180hp Titan version

Did you say how silly that would be? (That one is in and the other is not)

The cessna 150,152 will be in but not the piper tomahawke or beech skipper due stall speed.

Actually its not the aircraft or designer spec MTOW that is silly. The Rotax powered MTOW was determined by the climb performance at 5000ft density altitude. (min of 600ft/min climb) The MTOW was limited by the horsepower available to make sure the aircraft performance was safe fully loaded to provide a climb out that was determined as safe. Stick 180hp in it and then you can fly the aircraft at 1800lb. Of course its the same airframe so in theory you could load the airframe with a rotax at 1800lb but climb performance would not be that great so Randy HP limited the design. I think that is a good move. I will be putting in a big bore kit in my Rotax so it will be 114hp and with a tuned exhaust I should be up towards 120hp...in my opinion that makes the aircraft even better. Empty weight is around 800 lb so that leaves heaps enough load for the 1600lb limit. If for example you stick in a 915IS if you win the lotto then you really have a nice machine. We all know weight is the major factor in performance. The 760kg will allow much safer stronger built aircraft. Most of the S21 is all 0.020  skins not 0.016 like on the current RAAA style at 600 kg. Pretty much all RAAA aircraft are +4 -2G rated this is +6 -4G so obviously a stronger aircraft. That must make some contribution to a stronger aircraft 

1600lb is 727kg and 1800lb is 820kg both fit the stall speed limitations but the max power to weight ration does the limiting to the CASA proposal. Both aircraft are as safe as each other