ANY HISTORICAL PICTURES ? (Aviation subject preferred but not essential )

Here's your starter for ten. . .

Armourers wheel a 4,000-lb HC bomb ('Cookie') for loading into a De Havilland Mosquito B Mark IV (modified) of No. 692 Squadron RAF at RAF Graveley, Huntingdonshire.

bomb.jpg.d24afa5f303307bf294c54e0a665dbf2.jpg

I never heard of RAF 'Gravely' . . .going to research it now. . . . .

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Follow Back Lane east from Graveley to the intersection with Calder Way, Ashby and you can see what looks like an abandoned single runway just south of that intersection. OME

WRONG!!!! 5 miles south of Huntingdon (RAF Graveley - Wikipedia)

If you Google Map Gravely and look at the sattelite view you can see an oddly shaped paddock to the west. If you look closely you can see two runways as crop marks. Have a look at the buildings on "Cotton Farm"

• 2 weeks later...

Charles Carrington of the Royal Warwickshire Regiment. . . .

"We settled down on our objective in a group of shell holes and there we sat for three days. On the second day, it began to rain and rained continuously so that the bog of Passchendaele spread out into a lake. To begin with, we were sitting up to our knees in mud and water, very short of sleep and having just been through this very severe mental strain of the battle itself. After this there was no further fighting. The Germans did not in fact counter-attack us at that point, however they shelled us very scientifically. And on the second and third days we just sat in the mud being very heavily and very systematically shelled with pretty heavy stuff".

spacer.png

A battery of 1 Division Pioneers being hauled through the mud at Battle of Broodseinde, during Third Ypres (Passchendaele) on the 4th October 1917.

• 2 years later...
Ground crew and armourers refill ammunition belts with .303 bullets.Aircraft in the background are Hawker Hurricane Mark 1s of No. 85 Squadron RAF at Lille-Seclin.

[ATTACH=full]711[/ATTACH]

Phil, on a very similar subject, this is one of my favourite photos. Soviet armourers loading cannon shells into a Soviet lend lease Hawker Hurricane.

Not sure what calibre, 20mm maybe.

3.thumb.jpg.88e9dcb8ef55a66dd0173790de8a045b.jpg

Phil, on a very similar subject, this is one of my favourite photos. Soviet armourers loading cannon shells into a Soviet lend lease Hawker Hurricane.Not sure what calibre, 20mm maybe.

[ATTACH=full]4274[/ATTACH]

Yes Willie. . .20 mm Cannon Food.

That's certainly historic. Kilaben Bay. Just to the right of that view there was a short landing area. that I never saw anything land on. Looks like a couple of Sunderlands or Sandringhams on the left. Quite a few of them appeared at Rathmines just after the war. Didn't stay there for long. Rellies of mine built a weekender on the other side of the bay directly opposite the ramp left of the hangar in that picture. I spent a lot of time there up till the late 50's .PG Taylor's Frigate Bird 2, PBY 5A was rebuilt there. Nev

OK. Here are a few.

Mustang under the pines at Moorabbin sometime in the late 50s. Al hangars now where the trees are.

1470095667_MustangMoorabbin1950s.JPG.b01f5b05b5cb8d6f567fe4fba821dbf9.JPG

Avro Vulcan at Laverton airshow late 60's.

1708756987_AvroVulcanLaverton1960s.jpg.cc3edf5c9f22c66bd244c3733b6b5f6e.jpg

English Electric Lightnings, same airshow.

758752821_lightningslaverton60s.JPG.15d7accf55c63a62ab575e8d2dfada9a.JPG

Carvair at Essendon, 1970's

1304415521_CarvairEssendon1960s.JPG.8c3610e51c41400e78fc8a149ed31ab5.JPG

Me conducting preflight, Moorabbin, 1970's. The lad behind me is my youngest brother, now a retired Police Detective Superintendent. Note the sports coat.

1362702919_preflightmoorabbin.JPG.d84b67dc8c3bdd5ebefd8ddac93d87fa.JPG

Sergeant Colin Miller, mum's fiance, who died over Germany in 1944.

Great to see a man honoured so long after his loss, PM. There's one of those Ansons in a glass case at Tamworth airport. Best place for them; I believe they were not the safest aircraft.

Here's another oldie. The Bonanza I flew in the mid 70's. The hangars in the background are located where the trees were in the Mustang photo in an earlier post.The boy is the son of a work colleague at the time.

vh-cfk.JPG.a572cd8efd2b44e94be75644af5fef6d.JPG