Low cost ADS-B options for VFR aircraft

" In 2013 we introduced the first ADSB-in capability into AvPlan EFB and in 2015 introduced AvPlan Live which expanded this to include other AvPlan EFB users. In 2018 AvPlan Live traffic was expanded to include data via a network of ground based receives to show some ADSB and FLARM traffic as well."

Also, with the latest ios for iPads I don't think you need to do the work around for "No Internet Access" anymore

I read later on that AVPLAN need people to set up receivers around the place and upload the data to Avplans feeder systems from what I understand. In my office I can fire up AVPLAN and see traffic all around Sydney and beyond.

https://www.avplan-efb.com/avplan-traffic/

Look down the bottom.

• Like 1

Having the position of other aircraft reported to me via a double hop mobile phone network that wasn’t designed for aircraft elevations is dodgy for me. Add to this it’s only for your particular EFB and not shared. I think it’s doomed. Sky echo has ads-b receiver and shows all in range with ads-b out. Supplementing it with EFB specific info is fine but I think in time it will not be necessary.

• Like 1

My SkyEcho2 arrived this arvo so will have a play.

I made some Raspberry Pi ADSB IN units (same as Stratux units) for guys and it used to work with Oz runways then they stopped it on the basic plan and it was only available on the next plan price up.

Avplan has it available in the base plan and also when you turn traffic on it shows ABSB paints and you can run Avtraffic as well

The SkyEcho...I believe will show direct local contacts and also because it is out it will show up on others with ADSB in for direct mode and also what comes from the ADSB ground stations. The SkyEcho will also come up on TCAS if it is installed on other aircraft close by.

I will see what it comes up with as soon as I get a chance to play with it

• Like 2

TCAS will not interact with it so they will not automatically avoid you. Most TCAS have ads-b IN so they can see you and the pilot can avoid you. The commuters will be happy to see you.

The SkyEcho2 is a SIL=1 device according the the specs .....Just found the CASA full document and reading it. If it was a "integrated" SIL=1 device TCAS will see it. The SkyEcho2 is NOT a integrated device only a EC device so will not be seen by TCAS directly as it does not get interrogated by that aircrafts TCAS. It will be seen directly by the ADSB IN of that aircrafts ADSB unit

Those aircraft with TCAS would most likely be fitted with ADSB IN.

I believe it is certainly capable of it but at this stage the firmware is done to not be seen directly with TCAS. I also see in the uAvionix paperwork its a no no to fit a external antenna to the unit....I dont understand why not but it will be some stupid regulation of particular compliance. Sounds like it would be better to be mounted outside of the aircraft for a clean transmit pattern not interrupted by cabin areas and or cabin frame etc. Would be easy to organise a small printed plastic box mounted to the underside or the top of the aircraft to get the best RX and TX range

I've read that the SE2 will be seen by all newer TCAS displays (albeit without triggering Resolution Advisories). And there are various other cockpit displays that will display ADSB (SIL=1 or above) traffic. But what I'm still interested to know is just how many of the commercial aircraft that we're likely to share airspace with actually are so equipped. In any case, with a SE2 we should be able to see them and ATC might be in a position to spot impending conflicts.

BTW, this is an interesting SkyEcho2 'beta feature' mentioned on the website below that I haven't seen discussed elsewhere.

1512226288_Nonadsbxponder.thumb.jpg.f4da0f97975527d132bd38daae07c28d.jpg

https://www.unmannedtechshop.co.uk/product/uavionix-skyecho-2-portable-ads-b-transceiver/

• Like 1

It says in the paperwork for installation it should be as vertical as possible and either small edge leading forward or flat leading forward. This is why I say a nice small maybe symmetrical aerofoil shaped enclosure around it mounted on the top or bottom of the aircraft

Garfly there is a Flarm receiver that can also pickup mode C transponders and actually place them in spacial presentation to you on the flarm units screen. Its expensive though about 3.5k aussie. It does ADSB etc as well and it does the Australian Flarm frequency set

Yeah, Mark, I'm not sure how important the Mode C feature is, anyway. And it may never apply in Oz,

Its ADSB-OUT ability is what's great and new - at this price.

But as to the placement, you'd want to be able to check the status lights wouldn't you?

And to be able to turn it off in flight, sometimes? I think its portability is a big feature around which it is designed.

Yes will be ok for a plastic fantastic but a all aluminium and steel cage is a whole different matter

That external antenna mod is looking better and better

I have to say the CASA rego office to get your hex number is on the ball....I got mine literally in 2 hours from the first email to them

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

First fly with the SkyEcho2 in the Thruster. Appeared on fr24 while taking off, very impressed. The icon looks more like a jet than a Rxxxx aircraft, not sure how that works.

Resized_20200730_160134_3557.thumb.jpg.529a6c4825bc7f1192916a764ee92663.jpg

Thruster, I see it reads your ICAO address but what about your rego?

I know that's just FR24 but I wonder if, say, a typically equipped Dash 8 or air ambulance could match up your paint with your radio calls.

Thruster, I see it reads your ICAO address but what about your rego?

I know that's just FR24 but I wonder if, say, a typically equipped Dash 8 or air ambulance could match up your paint with your radio calls.

Yes the rego in the required form Rxxxx was showing. As for radio on a flight like this I would not be making any calls, if we all did the airwaves would be jammed. Occasionally C130, toll rescue heli and other aircraft fly in "my" airspace, I can now see them and they can see me. Hopefully a lot of VFR aircraft get onboard with EC devices.

Edited by Thruster88
  • Like 2

If you contact CASA I think it is the rego place and tell them its the wrong icon its a jet not a light aircraft
The icons on FR24/FA bear no relation to what you transmit for ADS-B. The reason it shows as a Jet - the same as my RV-9A did - is because it cannot correlate the Rxxxx rego with a database containing the aircraft type, so it assumes a Jet. CAsA / ASA have nought to do with it.
  • Informative 1