Garmin instruments into a 182

Hi, I’m sure this may be covered somewhere else..however. I’m looking to purchase a182 and replace some of the instruments with Garmin products..g3x touch, radio, autopilot etc.

‘yes I know it will be a high cost but I like ‘bells and whistles’ :).

I’m based in Albury so I’m looking for recommendations for a business to do the work... Melbourne, Sydney, Brisbane.. doesn’t really matter. If you know someone or from previous experience has been good, professional and not a complete rip off on pricing could you please let me know....

I’m just doing the homework now so when it does happen I can move forward.

Thanks Gary.

Hi, I’m sure this may be covered somewhere else..however. I’m looking to purchase a182 and replace some of the instruments with Garmin products..g3x touch, radio, autopilot etc.

‘yes I know it will be a high cost but I like ‘bells and whistles’ :).

I’m based in Albury so I’m looking for recommendations for a business to do the work... Melbourne, Sydney, Brisbane.. doesn’t really matter. If you know someone or from previous experience has been good, professional and not a complete rip off on pricing could you please let me know....

I’m just doing the homework now so when it does happen I can move forward.

Thanks Gary.

There are 2 organisations at Bankstown that i have used.

Pacific Avionics and Eastern States Avionics,

Both have done a good job and are well respected.

You will need to take your Aircraft to them and be prepared to leave it with them for a while.

PM me if you want to discuss further.

There are 2 organisations at Bankstown that i have used.

Pacific Avionics and Eastern States Avionics,

Both have done a good job and are well respected.

You will need to take your Aircraft to them and be prepared to leave it with them for a while.

PM me if you want to discuss further.

Thanks Roscoe, will make contact with you soon to see what you did and any suggestions as well.

Downunder is right. I know someone who ran up a $100k bill on G500 etc etc.

Would it be worth weighing-up a 182T and see what the difference is in cost?

Thank you... will call them on Monday and have a chat... still settling on either 182 or 172, probably the 182... all comments and suggestions welcome.

While I have you both here !! What stops me from putting in a G3x Non certified into a 182 Vs a certified.. From my reading they are exactly the same except much cheaper and I think its something to do with IFR and not being able to do IFR ???? I dont seem to get a definative answer on it... Any help would be apprecited.

I think there maybe more value in purchasing an aircraft with what you want already installed.

I can't see the 172 I mentioned gaining anywhere near the 50k that was spent.

Instead of purchasing an average 172 and spending that amount, there would be more value in a newer 172...

• Like 1

I think there maybe more value in purchasing an aircraft with what you want already installed.

Instead of purchasing an average 172 and spending that amount, there would be more value in a newer 172...

Im looking at that as well... finding one that has the "whistles " in it and price... not too high. Ive seen them as sold , missed the boat but i know they will be back. Juat keeping an eye out

Try Tony or Peter Brand at Horsham Aviation 03 5381 1727. They finished a complete glass panel in a 172 with all the bells and whistles last week. Tony or Peter will be able to put you in touch with the owner for a chat if you want. Brands also did the radio upgrade on the 172 I fly about three years ago. Very satisfied. Tony is the boss, and Peter is the avionics expert.

I will endorse that!

It will cost a fortune to install the gear you want.

Better off buying an Aircraft already fitted out,

The cost of the equipment plus installation will be more than the value of the aircraft.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

Hi All.... just an update.. yes purchased the aircraft... got a thumbs up from the LAME and so far so good ! Im going to do the upgrade and yes.. I know im overcapitalising etc etc and wont get my money back.. BUT its about the next 5 or so years, putting in what I would like to have in the plane and enjoying it with the upgrade, having a good time ...

I contacted Peter Brand at Horsham Aviation ... excellent man, lots of info and he also quoted. Also obtained one from Rob GRAY (Garmin) Wagga and he has also quoted.

Both groups Labour components were huge... more then the equipement. ?

So will go the GARMIN... booked in for the end of the year as this is the only slot available....

Thanks again I appreciate the feedback which gave me alot to think about.

• Like 3

Very nice! Congratulations.

What will your Avionics suite consist of when it's all finished?

Hi thanks for the reply

Currently we are going to get

G3x

G5

Gnx355 with adsb in and out coupled to Autopilot

Autopilot

Comms unit with Bluetooth

Comm

Definately overkill but you have to enjoy it and i want to do ifr As well...

• Like 1

• 5 months later...

Well the install is into its second week and going to plan (if there is such a thing) Auto pilot should be finished this week, Steve NELSON from Corowa... wow what a whiz knows his stuff back wards and RobGray from Wagga and his offsider JOHN who is running the show.. amazing work and so detailed... Spending a few days with them it makes me feel very confident the finished product and level of finish will be excellent.+

Cessna182_Upgrade1.jpg

Cessna182_Upgrade2.jpg

Cessna182_Upgrade8.jpg

Cessna182_Upgrade3.jpg

Cessna182_Upgrade4.jpg

Cessna182_Upgrade5.jpg

Cessna182_Upgrade6.jpg

Cessna182_Upgrade7.jpg

Edited by Country Flyer
  • Like 4

• 1 month later...

A few shots of the finished product... been great... Ill explain a little more.  I love having the ADSB available... they can see me and I can see them... I think the sooner this is compulsory for everyone the better for safety... and I know this will be an emotive topic... but I like knowing when someone is close or heading my way..

Ive found less stree with last minute ATC changes...

Its got me out of trouble recently travelling to Port Maquarie...clouds dropping and terrain not moving !!  decision do 180 and return to Mudgee.... press and "direct... by the time i had done this i was about to enter cloud... yes on now we shouldnt but at 140 knots it comes up very quick... and no panic...watched the screens and headed back...

there has been a couple of times near Wagga and planes have been sneaking up on me, espcially the training ones !! and Melb Centre has seen and announced

Flight Following across the mountains has been nice and maybe easier as well....  For a low hour pilot ..me !!! just the safety side has made it worth while..

IMG_20210402_082024_713.jpg

IMG_20210402_082024_737.jpg

IMG_20210403_103440_983.jpg

IMG_20210426_125000_086.jpg

IMG_20210426_125000_146.jpg

• Like 2

27 minutes ago, onetrack said:

Wow, that is one impressive setup, and the professionalism shows in spades. But I hate to think of the size of the final bill.

Your right.....  i get told its overcapitalising.. but i did it to enjoy the flying more and for the long term safety side as well...  i dont begrudge the final costs... i simply like to drain my sorrows hahahaha.    Would i do it again... yes 🙂

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, Country Flyer said:

Your right.....  i get told its overcapitalising.. 

Flying for fun never makes financial sense...... 

until you are airborne, then it all makes sense 🤩

• Like 2