Site Update Comments

Admin

2 hours ago, Admin said:

Can you take a screen shot and post it...it is probably something to do with your own device

Mine looks like this. It’s an iPad Pro. Seems way too spread out and to be honest I can’t be stuffed looking for how to fix. By the time you move between email, website searches, Facebook, Amazon and some other stuff you really get sick of clicking shit. Just need to be simple.

A5A622BA-C5F8-47AD-90EF-750BC7CD9564.png

I have completed the Groups Section and migrated the Groups from the old software...I am sure you will see how good the Groups Section is here at Recreational Flying (.com) so

join in, have fun and see what you can create by having your very own Group for your Flying Club, School or special interest Group.

You can make your Group:

• Public: Everyone can see the group and its posts, and can participate without joining.
  • Open: Everyone can see the group and its posts, but only members can participate. Everyone can join.
  • Closed: Everyone can see the group and who's in it, but only members can see posts and participate. Users need to ask a leader to join.
  • Private: Only members can find the group and see its posts. Users need to be invited by a leader to join.
  • Read Only: Everyone can see the group and its posts, but only members can participate. Users need to be invited by a leader to join.

AND, if you want to, you can even choose to have PAID Membership where others pay you a membership fee to join your group...Great for Flying Clubs who have paid memberships

In fact, you can create your very own web site using all the features that the Recreational Flying web site offers...including your own Forums, Gallery, File Downloads, Event Calendar, Custom Side Blocks and more...you can even add extra web pages like a Home Page, Contact Us page etc all within your group to create an entire web site for yourself or your Flying Club or School.

Please, create a presence for your Flying Club or School right here at Recreational Flying and if you already have a basic web site or want to set up forums etc then attached are some images that you may, if you want to, use on your site with a link to your own Group, or ask me if you want another image created specifically for you.

recreational_flying.png recreational_flying_2.png  recreational_flying_4.png recreational_flying_3.png

WOW, the new Video Section is up and running, ready for you to add ALL your favourite aviation videos for everyone to watch, add their comments, likes and more. You can see the latest videos that have been added, the weekly trending videos, follow videos and more. You can quickly add a video from YouTube or from one of the other popular video hosting sites and the system will automatically get the video's name and image.

ALSO, if you add a video to a forum post you can quickly add it to the Videos Section by clicking the "Post To Videos" at the bottom of your post...easy

Go ahead, populate the new Videos section for everyone to see and enjoy

You will see in the new Videos Section that you can watch the full episodes of the television series Mayday: Air Crash Investigation. This series is of great benefit in terms of perhaps we can learn something that may help to keep us, and our passenger(s) safer in our flying activities. At this stage I am adding one episode, in their original release order, per day to the Videos Section. If you want them ALL added at once then let me know.

I hope you find the episodes not only entertaining but also interesting and helpful.

The Aviation Movie and TV Shows database has been added to the site as a great resource for users to look up and use. Each Movie/Show that is entered looks up the TMDb database and completes all the fields automatically for you. It contains the Stars, the Crew, any Trailers, Images and even lists other similar movies for you. If you click on a cast or crew member a popup window appears with the cast member's bio and other movies they have been in...this is a very powerful resource for everyone.

Please, ADD all the Aviation related Movies and TV Shows yourself into the Movies database section for other users to know about and create interesting discussions on the Movie/TV Show for everyone to join in.

Wondering what to watch this weekend? Check out the Movies/TV Shows database right here on Recreational Flying so you can go out and get the DVD...what a great resource for ALL members of Recreational Flying (.com)

(Aviation Books Section is coming soon)

Hi Ian

couple of comments- 

1) defaults seems to be too verbose.

content is getting lost in defaults of items, comments etc- IE if a forum topic has been updated 5 times in the past hour, the default is 5 rows used in the what's new, instead of ALL content- IE I think default should be Content Types = Topics, rather than content types = All Content. or something like that. 

Like, seeing loads of new airplane updates. That's nice, but I just need one row in the  "'what's new" to tell me  that something new has been added to that topic. 

Sure people can change it - BUT I think possibly losing readership because of the fiddle required (as some will see it) to get it back to a comfortable and familiar display). Many wont bother.

2) When I select SortBy "Recently updated"-  it is not displayed by the most recent update....

cheers- glen.

image.thumb.png.8aef3f5492bf3092d1f74a0f4854fee8.png

@RFguy re #2, the screen shot shows the first 2 threads are "pinned" (green thumb tack on left of thread title) thus showing at the top of the list and not in date order

• Informative 1

@RFguy re#1, if you are referring to the Aircraft, Movies, books etc are showing individually, this is because they are individual records (or threads) in the different sections of the site and not Forum posts. Have I interpreted your issue correctly?

Hi Ian

OK on pinned posts.

ahh yeah they ARE individual threads. right OK ! now I get it.

now, when I just want "Content Types = Topics" , I tick topics, and then it prompts "Save these changes ? " "No", or "save as new stream"

but I just want to save as my default view.... I have now about 20 (new) customs views...

I just want it to come up the same way when I like "what's new" instead of needing to select a custom view.  - 🙂   glen 

Hi again  Ian

OK- so I think I have what I want now - and I have figured out the mystery....
-  after changing to" Conent Type= Topics"( or whatever)

when prompted- SAVE AS NEW STREAM (and give it some useful name in the box)

then .. in "Stream Options" button on right hand side,

a new option appears "Set as your default stream"

which I do...  all good. 

What confused me : The "stream options" button did not show this option when it was not available- so I naturally did not think it would appear there.

Usually, Windows users are used to a function being greyed out if unavailable.

I think unavailable functions should still be visible.

This helps users ALOT remember where stuff is.

menus that have options appear and disappear is hard ! 

cheers

glen

Finally, I have settled on "The Plan" for the site. After much back and forth, trying to make decisions, listening to everyone (possibly to many but I can't make everyone 100% happy 100% of the time) and looked at the different technologies, the state the site is/was currently in, the 17 year history of the site etc etc etc. I feel very confident in the way the site is going to be going...it will get back to the full valuable resource it once was with a more social flavour...sort of between the old style of a Forum site and a Social Media site but as a powerful all encompassing full resource on everything for aviators.

Now if you could see the pad on my desk you would see pages and pages of attempts over a long period of time to nut out the site beginning with the all important Site Menu. The Menu will look like this

1.jpg

So this is what I am working towards however I need any comments that you can...have I left something out?...Is there something that is not needed?...Could it be done better? etc etc etc Please, be a member of the solution

The Downloads section of the site has been completed for you to upload any manuals, documents, files etc that can be shared with all site users. Have a look at what you may have on your computer that you could upload to the Downloads section and help all other users...it is a file sharing section...hey, I even uploaded a Windows Aviation Font file that others may want to download and add to the Windows installation, I also added a Jabiru J200 and J400 Checklist document...the more you can upload the more you can help other site members.

The Downloads Section is currently under the "More..." link in the main menu

Please help the site to be a great resource for all recreational aviators

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, waraton said:

Not sure what they were called, various subjects and good refresher material. 

The tutorials are coming back this coming week

• Winner 1

You will notice that the side menu system has been updated to a new version that @Ahmed Zayed has been working on. The main difference is the fly out sub menu boxes containing links to sub sections that will appear when you hover over a main menu item that has sub sections within that area. The main menu items that have sub sections are displayed with an arrow symbol next to the menu link. This will enable me to now develop the different sub sections within a main topic area.

For example under a main menu item of "Media" you will have the Gallery, Videos, Movies, Books, News and Articles...Under "Shopping" you will have The Clear Prop Pilot Shop, Classifieds, suppliers and Product Reviews etc

I am working to bring you a comprehensive resource for ALL in recreational aviation but I can't do it without your help in populating these areas with content and posts etc. Your help in doing this will be greatly appreciated by all and for this I say thanks...and as always, any comments you have are very much welcomed

• Like 2

I am still waiting for the updated software version of Classifieds, hopefully later this week...I will get the info you need from the previous backup tomorrow and let you know

All the videos have been migrated across from the old software to the Video Section here now...don't forget to keep populating the section with any videos. You can add videos from any of the popular video hosting sites like YouTube, Vimeo, DailyMotion etc...just add the web address of the video in and the software here will pull the video down and add it in for you...it's easy

Sorry about the flood of videos in the Whats New view but the Whats New will always get flooded when I migrate stuff over

• Like 1

Hi Ian,

I know there is a bit of work to do to get the Aircraft stats implemented, but would it be possible to display the view count on the profile page as shown below. They appear on the category summary page. With over 510 profiles, and I guess by now about 35,000 views, we have no review stars, and less than 50 comments. It would save switching between summary page and profile to see how many times the profile has been viewed.

51774999_ViewCount.thumb.JPG.0680d2a4e6bf5c871bd4bb9664128b4c.JPG