Peltor headsets

Way back in 1990's  I flew an aircraft fitted with Peltor Headsets. Back then I was very impressed with their fit/comfort/performance.

My current aircraft came with David Clark (DC )Headsets (pilot side ANR). The DC's work fine and I even use the ANR feature but only on very long trips (can leave me with a bit of short term tinnitus).

Despite the good service of the DC's, I have always hankered after the Peltor's - does anyone have experience of this make and if so what model are you commenting on??? 

I remembered the name from years ago too. I looked them up, now a division of the 3M Company. They make headsets & noise protection gear for all sorts of industries, but not aviation anymore apparently.

19 minutes ago, petercoota said:

I remembered the name from years ago too. I looked them up, now a division of the 3M Company. They make headsets & noise protection gear for all sorts of industries, but not aviation anymore apparently.

Me thinks you didn't look very far -https://www.defcon.com.au/product/peltor-fixed-wing-aviation-headsets/  and https://www.ozpilot.com.au/pilot-supplies-aviation-headsets-peltor-headsets

Why they make one especially for R 4 helicopets is beyond me but someone on this Forum will know.

• 2 weeks later...

they were damn good when they came out but nowdays the ANR kits can be fitted to most regular headsets 

I use  Peltor ear muffs as housing for the mic and phones out of other headsets as my spare units as I neveter liked the DC and their clones and the ear pads allways need replacing for about the same price as the whole peltor (3m) housing

Great minds think alike! - I too have made a headset using Peltor industrial ear muffs, bits from an army surplus (tank) headset and  off the shelf mic & speakers. System works but not quit the quality of a factory made for purpose.

I can have quite an easy conversation in my Zephyr, without the aid of head sets. So ANR is no great advantage. In fact I only use the ANR on long trips (over 2 hrs) when it seems to remove that constant low level background drone. Unfortunate I find I have tinnitus for half an hour or so after using the ANR.

I guess my continued interest in the Peltor heads sets, is that way back in the 1990's, when I just happened to get the opportunity to try them, the comfort level was so much better than the DC's provided by the flying club. Could be they just suited the shape of my head, or the wide head band didn't dig into my scalp, or the weight - whatever they stood out for me and cost permitting, I wouldn't mind giving them a go again BUT would like some feedback from those that use/have tried them.

• 2 weeks later...

It would seem that 3M (Peltor's parent company)is no longer making aircraft headsets - or at least not for sale in Australia. 

There is an Australian company making headsets using Peltor industrial earmuffs as the base, adding mic & boom , speaker volume and Y cable.

Their extensive product range looks good but other than making something similar myself (which works) I have no actual experience. 

Company name is Rojone

Address: 44 Aero Road, Ingleburn NSW 2565
Sydney  AUSTRALIA

Postal Address: PO Box 1, Casula Mall NSW
2170  AUSTRALIA

Telephone: (+61) 02 9829 1555

Facsimile: (+61) 02 9605 8812

Email: [email protected]

Bit more info on the Rojone products;

All comply with SLC80 Rating 28 (Class 5) - I think this is possibly the highest  noise attenuation standard.  Fixed wing (shown below) & helicopter variants. There are options for dynamic or electret noise cancelling microphones. Wire or flexi mic booms as shown. There is only one "cup" mounted volume control.  Seem to have a very good supply of replacement parts such as ear cup cushions, foam & mic "windsocks" About 40- 100 gms heavier than the very similar Peltor products 

HMP-12GA-147x150.pngHSP-2GA-150x150.png

• Informative 1

Hi Skippy don’t hold out on the price telling that’s what this forums about; sharing info.  It’s good info as people are always comparing brands, quality and price.  It’s good to know how long the wiring insulation lasts as some sets don’t hold up in our environment.  It’s a pain when it cracks off.  Some sets last about 8 years same with ear cushions.

I’m planing doing an upgrade to two Sony units with the retro fit anr setup mentioned in another thread mid next year.

16 minutes ago, Blueadventures said:

Hi Skippy don’t hold out on the price telling that’s what this forums about; sharing info.  It’s good info as people are always comparing brands, quality and price.  It’s good to know how long the wiring insulation lasts as some sets don’t hold up in our environment.  It’s a pain when it cracks off.  Some sets last about 8 years same with ear cushions.

I’m planing doing an upgrade to two Sony units with the retro fit anr setup mentioned in another thread mid next year.

H Blue,

Easy for you to get the price, just contact  Rojone Pty Ltd sales.

If you check out their web site you will find they are offering quite a few spares, including ear cup foam cushion kits, mic wind socks, etc

43 minutes ago, skippydiesel said:

H Blue,

Easy for you to get the price, just contact  Rojone Pty Ltd sales.

If you check out their web site you will find they are offering quite a few spares, including ear cup foam cushion kits, mic wind socks, etc

Thanks, not looking at then just curious of their price. Just thought you may have known their rrp.  What did the pre owned set cost you? Cheers.

8 hours ago, Blueadventures said:

Thanks, not looking at then just curious of their price. Just thought you may have known their rrp.  What did the pre owned set cost you? Cheers.

$550-650 for the Rojone and $150 for the second hand Peltor 8003's. I expect to replace the ear cup cushion/seals on the Peltors so a plus $ there.

• Informative 1

We use them at work. I would rather a set of DCs any day. I have a small head and find the Peltors uncomfortably small, as in little to no undercut for your ears. Noise attenuation is average and comms barely acceptable.

3 hours ago, M61A1 said:

We use them at work. I would rather a set of DCs any day. I have a small head and find the Peltors uncomfortably small, as in little to no undercut for your ears. Noise attenuation is average and comms barely acceptable.

What work ?? - steering an aircraft??.

Fair comment ,-for the ear muff part, I guess it all comes down to the shape of ones head and ears as for the comms - a mic is a mic is a mic - the only choice is dynamic or electret- comparability with radio?

I have no real grasp of the PROS V CONS of electret V dynamic - do you??

2 hours ago, skippydiesel said:

What work ?? - steering an aircraft??.

Flightline work/maintenance under running  helicopters.

2 hours ago, skippydiesel said:

mic is a mic is a mic

Try again....mic quality makes a big difference, I couldn't tell you the difference (in use) between electret or dynamic. ( I know the difference in construction)

There cant be that much to it - I have built a  well functioning, simple headset out of a Peltor industrial ear muff, parts from an old military tank headset and off the shelf parts. It doesnt have a volume control on the ear cup so the radio volume does that. The system works just fine including the microphone - will have a look for it (amongst all my junk) take a photo and post it..

I had a set twenty years ago and they were OK. Nothing special and I sold them with the plane on 2003.

David Clarkes are good, but I have never owned a pair, I can't recall what I am using now, but I bought them from Ian Baker many years ago.

My Peltor 8003 head set has arrived! Despite its age, it looks & feels great. Some very slight yellowing of the white ear cups and a slight mottling of the metal mic "stalk" . Cushion/seals are nice and soft, conforming well to skull contours. Very light & comfortable, on the lightly furred solar dome. Subjectively - lighter than my DC's  with a broader/flatter over-skull strap. Its everything I remember, on my first brief exposure back in the 1990's. Cant wait to give it a go up in the air where it belongs.

• 1 month later...

Had the chance to do some circuits at the weekend, in a particularly noisy (internal) LSA ,that will remain nameless - Peltor's worked very well indeed. I am well pleased with my acquisition. With luck the next ,significant, test will be on a very long nav.

FYI Peltor/3M can supply all new cup cushions and foam/sponge inserts "Hygiene Kit HY79" - Purchase is through retailer & prices vary significantly, so shop around.

• Informative 1