Baron accident adelaide

I really find it hard to believe all the hype on the television news about the ‘miraculous’ landing and ‘amazing’ survival of the instructor and student because the nose wheel didn’t extend. I saw it at least four times on ABC alone last night and this morning! Why do they like to dramatise minor problems to that extent?

• Like 1
  • Agree 2

48 minutes ago, derekliston said:

Why do they like to dramatise minor problems to that extent?

Because everyone, except pilots, knows that planes, which are always Cessnas, always plummet from the sky, and it is only through the self-sacrifice of the pilot that a major disaster was averted. And witnesses who reside in the area always are in dread of this sort of catastrophe occuring. 

• Agree 1
  • Haha 2

6 minutes ago, Student Pilot said:

Looks like he couldn't get the mains to retract? Surely nobody would land with just the nose wheel retracted. Whatever the problem they said he was a hero 😁

You wouldn’t retract the mains and cause more damage I wouldn’t think! As it is, relatively minor airframe damage but probably bloody expensive bulk strips on engines due to prop strikes! What say you Nev?

Edited by derekliston
Misspell!

48 minutes ago, Student Pilot said:

Looks like he couldn't get the mains to retract? Surely nobody would land with just the nose wheel retracted. Whatever the problem they said he was a hero 😁

It's become a lot more common in recent years to force land this way. If you think about it, you get to touch down on the mains normally and you can touch down early and plan not to touch the brakes, so roll a longer way down the runway, so minimise speed and downforce when the nose drops, and they all seem to skid OK with minimal aircraft damage. I've seen a couple of videos where the aircraft slid off the runway centre, but even there there was no nose-over.

• Agree 2

It's going to be a lot cheaper to replace some chin skins than bulk strip two engines, overhaul two propeller assemblies and six blades. I watched the video and thought that the  pilot did not hold the nose off long enough. He seemed to drop it about the same time that you would normally drop it on a normal landing. But then, who gets tested on landing gear failures during a BFR?:stirrer:

The video is here: https://www.abc.net.au/news/2021-01-27/emergency-landing-at-parafield-airport/13093958

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Marty_d said:

Would you have time (after the main gear hits the runway, I assume, just in case you need to go around) to kill the engines before the nose comes down, to avoid prop strikes?

You'd have time to pull the mixture back to cutoff but I suspect the propos still wouldn't stop in time. I wouldn't mess with a successful formula.

• Helpful 1

Just the props and bulk strips the cost is going to be well north of $120K (don't ask how I know). Even if he did stop the props the engine's would still need to be striped with the amount of prop damage and force being applied you would still have to strip them. Once the nose gear failed to come down it was going to be expensive.

On sealed runways you can usually steer on brakes and with rudder initially. If you hold off the nose will eventually drop anyhow and it's better to have control of how it drops I reckon. Going off into the grass is another story especially if it's been raining a lot. You don't really want anything to dig in. Save the occupants rather than compromise the outcome by trying to finesse it to the "N'th degree. You'd want to cut electrical power as soon as you don't need it and be ready to exit without delay. Nev