The Grob 115 C2 Safety

I did a bit of number crunching on the China southern grob fleet that is being auctioned 

https://www.slatteryauctions.com.au/auctions

The 36 aircraft that have ttis listed have flown 390,117 hours, these entered service between 1994-1998.

A search of the ATSB data base for "grob" and separately "forced"

https://www.atsb.gov.au/publications/safety-investigation-reports.aspx?mode=Aviation&q=Grob

Shows that nobody got hurt and there were no forced landings. There were some close calls though. 390,000 hours is way more than RAAus flys in a year. It makes me think with all the debate about what medical standard can fly which class of aircraft, what is safer, a 45knot stall speed or engines that don't quit or is it training, did they just get lucky.  

The Grob 115 seems like a pretty decent aircraft.

Edited by Thruster88
  • Like 1

Thruster, that is an interesting set of numbers, but I would hazard a guess, that the outcome primarily relates to:

1. Certified engines and airframes.

2. An intensive level of supervision.

3. Weather and terrain conditions that are more favourable than many other locations.

4. Possibly, selection of students based on a far higher standard, than the average Joe who "just wants to fly".

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

How many incidents were not reported? I flew nearby several times.  Could never understand what their radio calls were. The danger zone was placed when I was active in that part of our great land. 

AND

A couple of them have cracks at the lower corner of the cockpit.

BUT 

F the present bid  of & 22,000,  for the dearest !.

Still very cheap,

Then there,s the motors in a separate auction, $ 5,000 !.

For an inhibited motor ! Again dirt cheap.

BUT

Who is paying $ 40,000 for a flight simulator? . Perhaps Not even in English !.

spacesailor

Isn’t this the aircraft the USAAF had a number of spin accidents with? Not recovering from a fully developed spin. The strange thing is, it seemed the Brits never had spin issues...? Looks like a nice aircraft as such.