Jabiru cabin cover by Punkin Head

RFguy

Really very sophisticated constructed cover. excellent value for money , nice sail cloth stuff with felt liner. fits well, no slop and no  fluttering in the wind.

Additional velcro seams for attachment to full all over cover. 

photos. (not sure if I have the ties around the struts right, I think I need to extend the straps (variable) full length and go around the leg.) I put it on  for the first time in the near dark.

cover2.jpg

cover1.jpg

Edited by RFguy
  • Like 1

Yes I have a friend who has a 160 and his Punkin Head Cover runs right up to and under the prop and also goes right down under the doors.

Cant get out to take a pic due lockdown.

These ones are Weathermax fabric, better for shrink than the Sunbrella material (am told). And the velcro doesnt get attached to the lining.

It's nice kit.

This is my Punkin cover which I purchase 5yrs ago when I finish build the Sav, I absolutely luv it and it's packs down well and it's very light and carry it in my travels. I even keep it on in the hangar at home as it keeps the dust off the windscreen. 

Also thought I'd would add a extra photo of the Canberra Bomber on it's second flight after 11yrs rest and restoration just after we landed at Temora recently which was pretty cool... 

P6280649.JPG

IMG_20210703_164718.jpg

P6300682.JPG

• Agree 1

Our Punkin Head cover taken Feb 2008.  The covers on the wings were made by an upholsterer.  2021 and they are brown with all the dust & muck in the hangar, but the Punkin Head cover is still looking good and clean.  Highly recommended.  This was the honeymoon - we spent it in the hangar.

P2210005.jpg

• Like 1

Got the straps right now... image before prop and cowling covered.

Repegged after the winds and rain of last few days. despite the glum wx, got 0.8 in yesterday. fixed a CHT sensor.

This material is reasonably heavy/stiff  compared to some I've felt. Wont flap in the wind. Will move under cover before too long. Was in hangar until April. Sun/temp is not too strong down here this time of year.

IMG_20210718_171342.jpg

Edited by RFguy
  • Like 2

• 1 month later...
On 19/07/2021 at 7:23 AM, RFguy said:

Got the straps right now... image before prop and cowling covered.

Repegged after the winds and rain of last few days. despite the glum wx, got 0.8 in yesterday. fixed a CHT sensor.

This material is reasonably heavy/stiff  compared to some I've felt. Wont flap in the wind. Will move under cover before too long. Was in hangar until April. Sun/temp is not too strong down here this time of year.

IMG_20210718_171342.jpg

Hey, what's the basic empty weight and empty arm of your J230? I'm writing a loading chart application and want some samples.

that's why it is the king of LSA. but you need to wear a hat to stop sunburn  because the wing isnt over your head. 

Edited by RFguy

The front seats should be -12 in your spreadsheet I think, it is the only station in front of the datum. 

I think what confused me was the addition of a header tank and the same fuel listed in the wing tank calculations. 135l in wings and 5l in header. Normally the aircraft is weighed with header fuel and not included in the weight and balance because it is considered unusable fuel.

Mike

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

actually that's not my aircraft in that spreadsheet

you are right about the - and + on the 12mm. and yeah the header I see is weighed in at weighing.

and also some fuel.....

my aircraft is :  from the book :

datum is right hand leading edge.

empty arm is 151mm  aft (-)  of datum 

+12mm for front  seats. Headset holder is -12mm (aft of datum) 

as for the header tank, you are right- my plane is 367.5 empty

+2kg unusable fuel in the wings @ -451

+3kg in the header@  -1520 
+1kg headsets  @ -12
+ventral fin ballast 1.3kg at -4080

Edited by RFguy

RFguy, 

Out of interest is the ventral ballast inside the ventral fin is a lead shot/resin mix. 

I've been trying to work through a removable 5kg ballast system that doesn't rely on the ventral fin attachments.

Mike

Hi Mike

I have updated my spreadsheet without the header tank (as it is in the original weighing I see in my POH) .

note for others- this is a bit of an experimental worksheet, there are a few what if scenarios in there ....

be sure to put your own numbers in..

Note mIke I have the tendency to use - for fore and + for aft.

Of course does not matter which way you do it, as long as you are consistent !

WB.xlsx

yeah I only have 1.4kg but other some aircraft have alot more. 

J170Cs got an extra few kg up from with the upgrade they got that was that large ventral fin you know they got in the 2011 upgrade

do you have 5kg back there ? what plane precisely ?

Hi Mike

oh the configuration  of two up and low fuel and nothing in the back means you trim full back once the flaps go out and then need pretty much full travel on the pitch to get the flare high enough as the horn sounds ?

glen

Edited by RFguy

RFguy,

Always make sure I am inside the envelope by adding water containers in the baggage area as needed. Never had an issue with trim when inside the envelope. 

Mike

Yeah I am well inside the book CG envelope with the 2 up and low fuel  but it takes alot of pitch input to get that nose up at flare-stall with idle power...

agree the water would make life easier. When I am flying myself, 1 up, I never notice  any issue.

With two up, nil baggage and 50% fuel,  %MAC is 13.6%.   (fore limit is 10%) and I reckon you'd want to be a bit careful in hot weather, carry a little more speed into the flare to get the nose up enough.

At 1 up, %MAC is  15.8% and getting the nose up is easy. That 2% makes quite a difference.

Moving the 6kg battery to behind the front seats would make a couple of % of difference, also.