Formation flying authorised work

tillmanr

12 minutes ago, tillmanr said:

A formation of 3 aircraft turned over Emerald Vic today just before 1400. 
It is good that this is critical work continuing during lockdown.

Of course apart from electronic tracking, Vicpol can call on radar records very easily, and put together multiple offences from the records.

You can do a quick check on Flightradar24, and see who was flying overhead at 0400UTC. It does show one aircraft doing work around the area.

Roulettes have also been very active of late, seems to be several of them in the air at any one time, one was doing beatups at YLIL yesterday.

16 hours ago, tillmanr said:

I don’t believe these aircraft were based at a rural airfield but I will accept being incorrect. Don’t think so though.

Flightradar24 shows one was local, from the north west.

12 minutes ago, tillmanr said:

Don’t have a reference for private aircraft maintenance do you? In particular RAA types.

No, sorry, however I'm aware of recent discussions. I've suggested to my friends that they get their mechanic to fly it for them.

2 hours ago, djpacro said:

Aviation businesses are permitted to fly aircraft per maintenance requirements.

"Monthly servicing is a requirement for the safety of light aircraft"

Do you have a reference for that? I know many aircraft that are not serviced monthly. Has someone been telling porkies to the department?

In any case it says servicing is authorized, not flying.

11 minutes ago, djpacro said:

Neither ascribe any benefit to flying every 30 days. They recommend preservation if the engine will be inactive for more than 30 days.

Flying every 30 days is probably the worst case scenario - often enough to produce water and acid combustion byproducts, not often enough to give the benefit of frequent flying, and the engine is not inhibited.

6 minutes ago, djpacro said:

The first letter you posted relates back to Lockdown 4 , was from Dept Jobs, Precincts and Regions and appears to be clarifying the boundaries for an essential worker.

The second letter from CASA is undated and is an opinion - this may even come from 2020.

The only authority issuing lockdown instructions is DHHS through the Chief Health Officer and the basis for leaving home is very clear.

I would agree with Aro, in getting an essential Aircraft Maintenance person to fly the aircraft if that was really necessary.

4 minutes ago, aro said:

Neither ascribe any benefit to flying every 30 days. They recommend preservation if the engine will be inactive for more than 30 days.

Flying every 30 days is probably the worst case scenario - often enough to produce water and acid combustion byproducts, not often enough to give the benefit of frequent flying, and the engine is not inhibited.

"In general, manufacturers recommend that for engines which won’t be flown for 30 days or more, a preservation regime should be instigated." So, one or the other.

"The desired flight time for air cooled engines is at least one continuous hour at oil temperatures of 165°F to 200°F at intervals not to exceed 30 days ..." so that is what I do.

3 minutes ago, turboplanner said:

The first letter you posted relates back to Lockdown 4 , was from Dept Jobs, Precincts and Regions and appears to be clarifying the boundaries for an essential worker.

The second letter from CASA is undated and is an opinion - this may even come from 2020.

The only authority issuing lockdown instructions is DHHS through the Chief Health Officer and the basis for leaving home is very clear.

I would agree with Aro, in getting an essential Aircraft Maintenance person to fly the aircraft if that was really necessary.

Yep, same rules apply now. Closed businesses may undertake essential maintenance.

Yep, CASA email is just an opinion. I only have that extract however I understand it is quite recent.

image.gif

• Agree 1

When you fly you must do enough to completely heat the engine all through it. Running on the ground for ten minutes or so is not a good idea. The worst thing often done is to leave your plane after flying for all to admire and come evening, taxi  it to the Hangar and shut it down and not fly for months.  It's better to have fresh oil in it in little use times than leave oil that's nearly due for a change in it. The more blow by your motor has the more chance of water being in the sump and the need to get oil temps above 85 minimum. Other parts of the engine get well above that so in those places water will separate. One gallon of fuel makes more than one gallon of water Do the formula and the atomic weights if you don't believe that. That's why water drips out of exhaust pipes on cars that have just been started.. Nev

19 minutes ago, djpacro said:

"In general, manufacturers recommend that for engines which won’t be flown for 30 days or more, a preservation regime should be instigated." So, one or the other.

No. It only means that preserving is considered too much trouble for less then 30 days, not that flying every 30 days avoids the problems prevented by preserving.

22 minutes ago, djpacro said:

"The desired flight time for air cooled engines is at least one continuous hour at oil temperatures of 165°F to 200°F at intervals not to exceed 30 days ..." so that is what I do.

That is under the heading "ACTIVE ENGINES". Your logic is circular. It's only ACTIVE because you flew it instead of preserving it.

If you're worried about your engine in lockdown, preserve it. That work is clearly on the authorised list.

Do  you have the recommended inhibiting procedure? You have to do things after it's been inhibited to put it back in service also. The CASA site did have info but something for specific motors would be more useful. 2 strokes are easier but not a lot around. Nev