Prescription problem and Flying Eyes sunnies

Aero_Medic

My first post, what a great forum, very helpful and encouraging for a student pilot….so here is my issue

Has anyone had difficulties getting prescription lens fitted to the Flying Eyes frames here in Australia?? 

Recently purchased a pair of ‘Kingfisher’ sunglasses by Flying Eyes who make prescription compatible sunnies for pilots. Absolutely fabulous frames, super lightweight and fit so snug under your headset which is the main reason I bought them….but I can’t use them…Specsavers say they cannot fit my prescription lens to the frames? 

Has anyone had success getting a prescription fitted to the Flying Eyes frames? Any Perth based pilots recommend an optometrist that can help?  I haven’t advanced to ‘Jam Jar’ lenses just yet…it’s a basic correction Rx so I don’t see 😄 the problem!

Cheers

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, Aero_Medic said:

My first post, what a great forum, very helpful and encouraging for a student pilot….so here is my issue

Has anyone had difficulties getting prescription lens fitted to the Flying Eyes frames here in Australia?? 

Recently purchased a pair of ‘Kingfisher’ sunglasses by Flying Eyes who make prescription compatible sunnies for pilots. Absolutely fabulous frames, super lightweight and fit so snug under your headset which is the main reason I bought them….but I can’t use them…Specsavers say they cannot fit my prescription lens to the frames? 

Has anyone had success getting a prescription fitted to the Flying Eyes frames? Any Perth based pilots recommend an optometrist that can help?  I haven’t advanced to ‘Jam Jar’ lenses just yet…it’s a basic correction Rx so I don’t see 😄 the problem!

Cheers

Try an independent Optician; I think the problem is Specsavers have mass production, where the local guy may be able to take your frames and send them to his lense supplier.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

Welcome to the forum Aero Medic.

Every time I buy prescription sunnies (oakley, maui jim) they tell me how the lenses may not fit, manufacturer doesn't like this or that, blah blah, but at the end I tell them I accept responsibility and no warranties, then they fit. 

So far so good..

• Like 1

Cool thanks all for the replies. Yes my next step is to contact an independent optician as this should be an easy fix.

By the way, anyone considering new sunnies the Flying Eyes range are really nice, super light and available from The DownUnder Pilot shop and delivered really quickly considering I’m all the way over in the Wild West.

• Like 2

The only thing I did with my sunnies was to ensure I had them made as bifocals (not multi focal) and the top cut in the lens for close vision, aligns with the top of the instrument panel so there is no confusion with focus.

Ken

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

Ok so I have managed to find an optometrist that will fit my prescription the my Flying Eyes ‘Golden Eagle Sport’ frames. I am delighted I can get them fitted but at a considerable expense…more than the frames cost me!

So be aware if you purchase these for a sunglasses prescription, the thin frame of the Flying Eyes frames need a thinner lens type that needs a but more cutting and grinding at the laboratory…and therefore costs more.

some technical info…check with your optician but I was told the upper prescription limit would be SPH -3.00

( mine are -2.25) and would require a base curve of 8 for wrap around frames.

so thanks again for the feedback, I hope this helps out other pilots thinking of new frames from Flying Eyes.

😎

Yeah this is a pain! I have used sunny over-glasses, sunnies that fit right over your prescription frames…if you don’t mind looking like Jacquie Onassis…or a visor that’s lost it’s helmet….but they are easy and practical. These days I opt for a photo sensitive coating, they are pretty good, very clear inside and go very dark when exposed to UV when outside. Seems the most hassle free compromise for me. Don’t go dark in a car however, because the car glass cuts the UV light anyway, so they don’t respond. Got a frame in the classic Ray Ban teardrop aviator shape, so when the lenses darken, they look/act just like sunnies.

• 7 months later...

I've worn glasses & contacts for the last 50 years (I'm 62) and since turning about 50 I've needed reading glasses with my contacts so I usually wore glass with reading modification built in. I often fly wear contacts and the wrap around sunnies I wear are from engineering supply stores and I would HIGHLY RECOMMEND them.  They come in a range of reading magnification with a very specific reading lense shaped in the lower part of the lens.  Keep trying different types on until you find a pair that have the bows tight to the sides of your face, then order about three pair ($15/pair)  SO much better than wearing glasses with clip on sunnies as you lose the wrap-around effect.  If it's cloud I put on the half-lense reading glasses.  I keep one pair (why do they call them a pair when you actually have just on item???) permanently in the plane and another permanently in my car.