LYC O-320B2C for sale in Tassie.

Had a conversation with a fella in Tassie this afternoon.

He has a LYC O-320B2C engine for sale, professionally overhauled and then pickled in Adelaide in 2004, it's still in the box.

Was out of an R44 helicopter, but I see with some research some do use this B2C in aeroplanes.

It has the conical engine mount, not the common dynafocal. It does have the oil sump for horizontal installation in aeroplanes.

LYC manual shows B2C takes a fixed pitch prop. (seems it was destined for R22 though, or perhaps just not used in any other type certified aircraft)

Would ideally suit an experimental aircraft. He was going to put it in a Baby Belle, that project did not proceed.

The price seems real good to me. I'd buy it myself but my project is already set up for dynafocal mount and I have an engine.

I have his phone number and email, but I won't post those here. PM me for that.

First to ask "how much?" here will face the firing squad. I'm just trying to help the fella a little, you can talk turkey with him.

catgun.gif

• 2 weeks later...

There's lots of different Lycoming engines ( Variants) of any one type. The engine has to be suitable as a tractor or pusher whatever you want. Its to do  with the thrust bearing arrangement of the crankshaft. There may be compression ratio differences and nitrided cylinders in some models. Nev

Nev, I can't see any restrictions in the Lycoming O-320 manual, as regards specific applications for the various O-320 models.

However, the O-320-B and O-320-D models do have a higher compression ratio (8.5:1) as compared to A & E models (7.00:1). Plus, there's quite a range of different magneto models, through the various models of engine (Table 1).

https://www.lycoming.com/sites/default/files/O-320 Operator Manual 60297-30.pdf

There are quite a number of propellor-driven aircraft on the register using the O-320-B2C engine - but its primary use is in rotorcraft.

https://www.casa.gov.au/engine-models/o-320-b2c

As always, acquiring an engine specifically set up for one application, and changing it to another application is going to cost money.

The sensible thing for the seller to do, is to find someone looking for a replacement engine for a Robinson rotorcraft.

As long as you do a thorough check it may be OK. Back a while some people were chroming cylinder etc and Lycoming were keen to get that stuff out of the Market and were doing a good deal on trading the core engine on a new one. Nev

• Informative 1