The $200 dollar Hamburger?

Flew into Batchelor this morning for a coffee and brekkie.  Nearly dropped off my perch when I saw AVGAS at $3.26/L.

I squirted the minimum required in each wing and began scheming about how I might instead suck out a few extra dregs from the barrel stashed at the back of my hangar.

Do people on here think AVGAS prices will come back down again when the world gets back to normal? Or do the fossil fuel companies like current pricing too much?

Alan 

Edited by NT5224

Remember qantas did did not put enough in last week for perth - could be teaching them new glide approach and landings so the board can get bigger bonuses.

• Like 2
  • Haha 2
  • Caution 1

Despite the current hatred of Q, I don't think its correct to blame Q management for the fuel mayday call - fuel management and uploading is up to the Captain, is it not?

The problem was simply major congestion at Perth, meaning that number of aircraft were being put into a holding pattern to try and manage the arrivals in a professional manner.

When the crew of the Q flight were advised that they were going to be put into a holding pattern that was going to be at least 16 mins, the crew then realised they would then be landing with below the stipulated minimum fuel reserves of 40 mins fuel. So they had little choice but to declare a fuel emergency.

The fuel Mayday call is a contentious issue, but all the crew of the Q flight were doing was following stipulated procedures.

It's a long way from the East Coast to the West Coast, and no doubt fuel use must be managed carefully, especially when you understand they're more often than not running against the jetstream, and they're also fairly regularly running into adverse weather.

Edited by onetrack

19 hours ago, SSCBD said:

Remember qantas did did not put enough in last week for perth - could be teaching them new glide approach and landings so the board can get bigger bonuses.

Come on Guys -  it was a tongue in cheek comment -  anyone smile here anymore? 

• Haha 2
  • Informative 1

Maybe, but that's how misconceptions grow. I'm NO Qantas fan either and post lot's of "Funny" things.  Perth is a place where suitable Alternates are not readily available and keep you on the edge of the seat at times.. Meekatharra is not  LAX either.  Nev

The question is, why did the Capt put in only the minimum amount - by putting in minimum fuel he gets on the ground on time.

Being cynical, with all the flack the Q have had on delays and late flights, not a bad strategy and actually saves the company money.

• Informative 1

On these flights extra fuel is Pax or Baggage not taken.  Your MTOW is the limiting factor.. In a late change to holding requirements it's baggage that comes off first and that doesn't win passengers love.. Perth is a fairly  special case due lack of suitable alternates. Carrying fuel over large distances is expensive as say fuel is not available at a certain Place. Nev

Kalgoorlie has been used more than once as an alternative when things went pear-shaped at Perth - usually really bad fog. But now Perth has Cat III, so fog is no major problem now for the heavies. But Kal is not exactly close to Perth.

I think Cunderdin is also an alternative? I'm amazed at the number of huge, long sealed runways that have appeared in the North of W.A. as the miners install their own major airports, in some pretty remote spots!