Flying Toilet Roll Core

red750

Can you tow with an automatic !.

Of course manual would be best , as No slippage at All .

Torque converters get over heated when towing,  hence another radiator. (  oil cooler )

The ' belt,s ' will wear faster when towing . (  due to slippage ) .

spacesailor

• Like 1

Many autos have a converter lock feature. Small gearboxes  that run constantly in the one gear (other than direct) can overheat that gear  and it fails. Aluminium cases change dimension too much with heat. Cast steel is better..Reduction gears in a big radial has to take the Cruise horsepower say 1500 + continuously and reliably. They are near always sun and planetary  carrying the torque far better. Nev

• Like 1

I have heard that the Nissan CVTs are problematic. My 2012 Mitsubishi Lancer 2.0 litre had a 10 year or 160,000 km mechanical warranty & has now done 210,000 km without any problems. The CVT has never been serviced (there is nothing in the warranty or owners handbook to say it ever needs servicing) but there is a dipstick to check the fluid level & it has never been topped up and is still crystal clear. Towing capacity is 550kg unbraked & 1000kg braked with a maximum 100kg downforce on the towball. I don't have a towbar so can't comment further.

I believe come CVTs are sealed and you cannot check the fluid level or top them up which does not sound like a good idea to me. What would happen if a seal failed and the fluid started leaking out?

• Informative 1

Great to see that DAF Daffodil - my first car had an engine very similar to that.  It was a Toyota 700, and the engine was like half a VW engine - 2 cylinders, air cooled, horizontally-opposed and 697cc.  I can see by searching that it was called the Publica in some countries.  Mine had 4-on-the-column manual gears, 2 doors, and not much else!  It would do 52mph flat out, and sipped fuel at about the same number of mpgs if I remember rightly.  This was around 1968-69.  Because the spark plugs more or less poked out into the front wheel arches, it had a habit of stopping when I went through a puddle or in rainy weather.  Fun days!

The amazing thing was that Toyota actually produced a "hot" sports version of it - the Toyota 800 Sports.  That was a targa-roof 2-seater which looked a bit like a baby 2000GT, a "proper"  sportscar that came along a few years later.

• Like 1
  • Informative 1

5 hours ago, kgwilson said:

I have heard that the Nissan CVTs are problematic. My 2012 Mitsubishi Lancer 2.0 litre had a 10 year or 160,000 km mechanical warranty & has now done 210,000 km without any problems. The CVT has never been serviced (there is nothing in the warranty or owners handbook to say it ever needs servicing) but there is a dipstick to check the fluid level & it has never been topped up and is still crystal clear. Towing capacity is 550kg unbraked & 1000kg braked with a maximum 100kg downforce on the towball. I don't have a towbar so can't comment further.

I believe come CVTs are sealed and you cannot check the fluid level or top them up which does not sound like a good idea to me. What would happen if a seal failed and the fluid started leaking out?

most auto boxs are sealed these days.

Edited by BrendAn

10 hours ago, onetrack said:

There's plenty of YooToob videos explaining how the Nissan CVT is a troublesome POS. CVT's can't handle high horsepower levels going through them. You don't see them in trucks.

The small Fuso trucks have a dual clutch "automatic" transmission which uses countershafts. That transmission is also nothing but trouble.

If you want to see a real transmission, get a look at the inside of the Mack "Maxitorque" triple-countershaft transmission. That transmission is the peak of countershaft transmission design.

my favourite gearbox is the old mack 12 speed. smooth as velvet shifts even made me look like i knew how to drive.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, red750 said:

Automobile discussion should be on Social Australia. This is a flying forum.

I drove a Mack ultraliner with a 12 speed box and it used to fliy. Did 130. 😁

• Like 1