Landing

Has anyone else had trouble after going solo???

I have done a couple of hrs solo and my landings seem to be getting worse.

Its really annoying me. I felt like i was putting it down really good when i had

the instructor in the back and first couple of solos.

Now I feel like I cant find the ground???

I know it will probably pass and its not that bad just a bit of bouncing but just thought I'd ask.

For me, I can start lacking confidence and it becomes self fulfilling because I try too hard and either do things too early to too late.

Last time I had that I though. Well, I know how to do this so just get on with it and enjoy it! I had found I wasn't enjoying the flying so much because I started thinking of it all as a big test and I am not good at tests as I am a pretty strict examiner! :-)

Is your instructor is still going up with you for the first couple of circuits? If so then they must be happy enough if they are still getting out of the plane. If not, maybe ask one of them to have a ride?

As long as they are still safe don't sweat it, relax and enjoy it and don't expect too much too early.

Steven.

Gday.. have no fear. what your experiancing is completely normal.. Most people experiance a plateau in the learning curve shortly after first solo, sometimes the curve can dip backwards. But its never for long, and before long you'll be back into it.. Solo time should be fed on to you slowly, ie, not just all at once. After your first cct, the next flight is more duel followed by a few solo ccts. Then more duel and longer solo, untill your confident enough to go without the instructor at all..

But, anyway, talk to your instructor, there will be one little thing, one little habbit, or one little thing youve forgotten, he or she will pick it up and have you back in action....cheers, and dont worry..

enjoy:thumb_up:

Post-solo Blues.

Throughout your flying "career", it is not uncommon to have "Down" periods. As your experience base expands, you will cope better with these and regard them with some amusement. The fact is that when you do your first solo, you are not anywhere near trained to cope with all the things that you will encounter later, and you have much more to learn.

IF you just did 5 or so good landings, that is very satisfying but it does not ensure that the next one is going to be a greaser. There is much more to flying than the landing, But the LANDING is what most people notice most. I would rather see consistent and controlled landings that are just FAQ than a couple of squeekers, but with debatable control exercised during the circuit and approach. Sometimes a rash of bad landings is a result of just not putting enough work in near the ground, and expecting the aircraft to do exactly what it did last time. Every landing is different. Work at it.. Nev..

Yes I went through a phase after getting my certificate, in my case I was flaring too high, the problem resolved itself when I realised that I was not looking at the other end of the runway but I was focusing too close in front of the aircraft. Since this realisation I haven't had this problem.

Yeah the instructor is happy enough to get out so I guess they arent that bad.

I'm a bit of a self critic i suppose. Yeah just flareing a bit high. Dropping on from a couple of feet or so. nothing too serious but just enough to annoy me. Its like I know I can do it better because of done it but its just not working.

And yeah your right most people I know ( that arent pilots mind you ) only judge you on your last landing.

Hi rage83,

If you were to simply keep going around and around,doing take offs and landings,for ever more, the chances of you getting exactly the same scenario each and every time would be almost impossible, because, there are such a large number of variables in each circuit that you do.

A good landing results in the ability to understand and master the variables and the aircraft.

This is the challenge to all of us and I doubt there is anyone out there who does the perfect landing,every time.

Cheers,

Frank. 002_wave.gif.62d5c7a07e46b2ae47f4cd2e61a0c301.gif

You are doing OK if you see that your landings are not perfect. The time to worry is when you consider you are perfect. Me, I am looking to do my second greaser, I gave up on the first 40 years ago.

Starting to work it out again thanks for the posts.

Landing is definately a strange one.

Some days I can put it down without a squeek out of the tires

and others it wants to pop up and dance around a bit.

But thats the way it goes I guess.

• 10 months later...

Be aware of your flap settings, they make a difference to your flare timing. I had the same problem for ages and found that I was not looking along the runway AND had various flap settings for landings which compounded the problem. Speed over the fence was another that I had to polish up on to get any consistancy.

Practice the above and you will nail it.

Cheers.

• 3 weeks later...
Guest Timbo05

Hi guys, one other possibility for the "not quite as good without the instructor on-board" landing is the reduced weight in the plane, so the plane will naturally glide for further and so not lose as much height in the flare. So then as you "stall it" you are a few feet from the ground instead of right above the ground.

It was the first thing I noticed on my first solo all those months ago 006_laugh.gif.0f7b82c13a0ec29502c5fb56c616f069.gif

The trouble is Rage when you pull of a greaser there is nobody around to see it but when you muff it there is always a crowd!!! hehehe

Hi Rage , it is completely normal, it has something to do with, im not sure what it is called, but i call it a learning, plateau. It is quite normal , dont worry, just think of it as your brain is consolidating.(i know it isnt spelled correctly anyway)What u have learned,It has been a steep learning curve up to this point .