Shell Carnet Cards

I received a letter today to say that shell are assuming control directly of all their Carnet cards as of 1st June this year. I rang shell to find out about getting one direct from them and was told that the minimum requirement for a shell carnet would be a fuel consumption of 10,000 litres a year. (The Xair would have to do a lot of hours to use that much in a year!!) However, I was also told that they havew converted all their 24hr avgas pumps to take credit cards as well.

FYI

Maynard

Hi mate, what are your thoughts, i mean if they have credit card facilities, on their bowsers, will it be more convient.What do you think? It might be more of a paper work problem with Credit card Statements.Especially with a/c hirers.Instead of using the fuel card in the a/c, they use their own credit cards.

Guest JRMobile

Hi Maynard

I received the same letter and was slightly put out by the 10,000 Lt min. The card has been very handy for me in that my main route south is via Armidale where we always stop for fuel and coffee. On checking the ppp.shell.com site I noted that Armidale has not been converted, so its back to carrying cash. I was also suprised by the number of outlets that have not been converted.

Cheers

John

John, when I was in Armidale earlier this year, I used Mogas from the service station at the airport. Inverell had shell avgas available from an agent at the airport during business hours.

I have been using the shell card at Wollongong but dont know if they have converted.

Cheers

Maynard

You will not be able to use your Shell Carnet card at the bowser after 15 June, unless you are a 10oool a year user. No doubt Shell see this as a way to reduce costs, but I will no longer be able to use my card, so I will go for BP or Mobil if it available and to Hell with Shell.

I have just returned from a trip to the Kimberleys. Before I left I tried to get a Shell Carnet, only to be told that all Shell 24 hour bowers have been converted to credit card opperation. Not true. $35 call out fee at Coober Pedy $50 call out fee at Tennant Creek. The only Shell bowser I encountered with credit card facility was at Charleville which didn't work, the agent said that more often than not it wasn't working. They are really fed up with it, but Shell don't seem to care. From my experience a BP carnet seems to be the best one to have. Available through SAAA if you are a member, save 6cents/litre too.

Greg

My experience with Shell these last three weeks - I found a Shell carnet card at our airstrip - valid and availalble for Any aircraft. The Australian card says "if found ... return to Shell .. London UK." Not terribly helpful as that wasn't a full address either.

No Shell servo around here so I got on the website and sent a message to them that I had found it and wanted to know how to post it back to them - they didn't have an address for the return of lost cards. A week & half and no answer so I got up the pdf Shell Aviation directory with the 13 phone number - rang, chose the aviation options. Spoke to an operator who said he could not put me through to the aviation section. Couldn't tell me what to do with the card - took all the particulars and said someone would phone back. This is now next week. No response by phone, email, or post. So I am going to post it to the nearest Shell Aviation facility so I can off load my responsibility. Meanwhile someone out there is cardless. Hasn't given me any confidence in them at all.

I have been with Air BP for many years and very satisfied. They used to levy an account fee of about $45 pa but it is years since they charged me that. The card is useful because it is much cheaper than getting the operator to dispense the same fuel into the plane - the price on the bowser is the operator's price but card price is lower I have been paying between $1.55 to $1.61 for avgas in the last 2 months. Our drum price is $2.95/litre.

Sue

I've had all the carnets and have had all sorts of problems with Shell for some months. The old card expired and the agents didn't replace it. As Shell was the only provider at the airfield I had to fly out to get fuel. Eventually Shell advised they had taken over and issued a card, but only valid for a short time. We were then told like others here that the minimum requirement wasn't being met and it would go to credit card.

However the bowser is still not credit card, the local provider is not happy, and the local hoons will be happy. Avgas is not supposed to be sold for non-aviation purposes, but anyone can walk into the airport with a jerry can and buy avgas when the change takes place.

I think the days have gone by haven't they regarding hoons wanting to get avgas anyway they can ? I mean you can buy premium unleaded at any BP servo at 98 octane and not destroy your cat converter on your vehicle, why bother with 100LL ? A nice credit card bowser where we are would be nice and easy, rather than trying to get the truck to fill you up on a carnet card during certain hours. I wish every avgas bowser was a credit card or at least had the option. hoons would need an ASIC anyway at Ygel to get to the fuel.

• 2 weeks later...

Clermont , monday to friday 0700 to 1600 outside these hrs....callout fee................$200

Biloela.......jet A1 only. ( local pilots urge complaining to council )

Debit MasterCard - Commonwealth Bank Group[/url]) work on the credit card bowsers? I dont particularly like the idea of getting a credit card, and a debit mastercard seems like a safer option where its your own money so you cant really get out of control and end up with a $5000 (for example) balance owing to the bank...

I use my Visa Debit card Cameron, similar idea - though I believe you can go negative credit if you're not careful.

Hi Guys, a mate of mine is a A/c refueller at Brisbane (works for Caltex)(has worked for shell previously), i asked him on the weekend about this thread.Anyway he says that in the future,everybody will most likely have to get a card called the "multi service " card, it is new here but is used in 33 other countries. In his opinion, the fuel companies want to get away from their existing card system.