Sick Bags

Yes I know this is probably a rather odd topic for a thread but anyway...

I'm going to have my passenger endorsement soon and, after hearing stories of people having to use jackets and things for sick passengers, I've decided it might be good to be prepared.

I had a look at clear prop but it doesn't seem to stock sick bags (unless I'm looking in the wrong part of the site?)

I was wondering about those glad snaplock bags (not the sandwhich size, the lunch size), would they work?

Or any other ideas?

My aero club has them, so if there's a decent sized club or flying school near you, you may be able get some there. The snaplock bags are probably just as good if not better anyway, although the sick passenger would probably prefer a non-transparent bag. I carry a couple of sick bags in my headset bag kindly 'donated' by Qantas. Or was it Virgin?

rgmwa

Plastic grocery bags work... (make sure it ain't got a hole though!!)

But yes, it's a good idea to have something up your sleeve, as I've given up my jacket on one occasion. It is easier to wash than the plane, but still isn't the nicest way to do it. :ah_oh:

99% of the time once they throw it, they feel a lot better. So you have to make that decision whether you land with them feeling the worlds out to make them miserable and I'll never go flying again. Or they throw it, and they can enjoy themselves better. (works for some)

Water, fresh air and the horizon, if pax has gone quiet suspect something, keeping them interested out the window helps.

I took some people flying the other day, scared stiff about the whole thing, but really wanting to do it as well. I just did ten/fifteen minutes of gentle rate 1 type turns etc... made a slight powered approach so it didn't look so steep and the descent was a little slower.

At the end of it, they absolutely loved it, and want to do more next time.

Whoops, sorry another long post :ah_oh: but I've have had it, passengers that hang onto you, sick......... They all want more, so can't have done to bad.

Darky, the Restop pack has 4 satchels that are for both urine or vomit. They contain crystals that solidify the content:Health & Safety :: Other Health & Safety :: Restop Disposable Toilet - 4 Satchels - Aviation Pilot Supplies Shop | Flight Gear | Aircraft Instruments

Part of the briefing, "if you use these, the cost is $5" 006_laugh.gif.0f7b82c13a0ec29502c5fb56c616f069.gif

dont you have a handbag ?

haha yes, but I'm not using it for that! I'm not sure how my phone would enjoy a dousing in vomit...

I've heard those bags you get a hot (cooked) chicken in are good for the purpose.

I considered those but the top doesn't seal so I wondered if it could still be slightly messy

Just tell 'em to put their head down their jumper if they feel crook, and breathe deeply.

That's mean....but worth remembering for emergencies 006_laugh.gif.0f7b82c13a0ec29502c5fb56c616f069.gif

Part of the briefing, "if you use these, the cost is $5" 006_laugh.gif.0f7b82c13a0ec29502c5fb56c616f069.gif

*snicker*

Darky I've noticed travel sickness bags on the shelf at the local chemist - must get some

I'll have to check that out, thanks.

I considered those but the top doesn't seal so I wondered if it could still be slightly messy

Nah, not unless they have eaten a whole cow. The mess you see on a pavement is all spread out but the volume, in my limited experience, is actually very small.

I was sick on my third of fourth lesson and used a chicken bag. Because the bag is a decent weight foil I was able to just fold the top over a couple of times so that nothing would escape and there is no odour.

To save embarrassment I actually put it in my pocket (hard to break a chicken bag) when we got out of the plane so the locals didn't see it (although they said that I looked like I had a rough time :-)).

Steven.

I agree with Blackrod and Thx1137.Those chicken bags are great.Being white on the outside and foil on the inside.They are strong and when the top is folded over itself a few times.They seal realy well.Apparently.

I find it best to avoid the problem if possible.

Thats all well and good but sometimes it happens when you least expect it!!!!

I have had a mate who is an experienced flyer and aircraft owner hurl. We were in the circuit after a 3 hour leg of a trip in quite good conditions when we hit one massive bump just before turning base. Before I knew it he was filling his hat.049_sad.gif.af5e5c0993af131d9c5bfe880fbbc2a0.gif

I had not even thought to tell him that there was sick bags under his seat, and he did not have time to ask!!!

At least he did a really neat job of filling the hat and did not spill a drop.011_clap.gif.c796ec930025ef6b94efb6b089d30b16.gif011_clap.gif.8adfe837b4189ee6622bf4917d6a88c0.gif011_clap.gif.c796ec930025ef6b94efb6b089d30b16.gif

My suggestion is to carry bags with you and let your passenger know where they are no matter who they are and no matter how unlikely it is that you think they will need them.

We source ours from Virgin/Jetstar/Qantas. I won't leave the plane without one!!!!

The chicken bags are the best, I used them when working at an adventure flight company and many were sick. They work well and are a bit more discreet than sick bags.

Just ask your chicken shop.

Alternatively, next time you are on a commercial flight, take a couple of their bags.

Guest Maj Millard

I can't ever recall anyone throwing up on me, over hundreds of rides that I have given over the years. Don't know what I am doing right, but I do make sure they have plenty of fresh air, and I keep them occupied, either chatting or participating as part of the crew, even if it's just looking out for other aircraft....seems to work for me !...I must say that Tomo looked a bit sqeezy on that last flight around Cecil Plains though.....................................Maj...024_cool.gif.7a88a3168ebd868f5549631161e2b369.gif

I must say that Tomo looked a bit sqeezy on that last flight around Cecil Plains though.....................................Maj...024_cool.gif.7a88a3168ebd868f5549631161e2b369.gif

Must have been all the food I ate... I grew to big 006_laugh.gif.0f7b82c13a0ec29502c5fb56c616f069.gif

Plastic shopping bags are not very strong. Was in a Warrier many years ago over the Blue Mountains, and a lady passenger had to resort to using one to spend a penny.

As it was leaking, the FI tried to put it through the small window vent to get rid of it, but it burst, and we all wound up smelling like The Gents at an ouback pub, amid uncontrollable laughter.

Plastic shopping bags are not very strong. Was in a Warrier many years ago over the Blue Mountains, and a lady passenger had to resort to using one to spend a penny.As it was leaking, the FI tried to put it through the small window vent to get rid of it, but it burst, and we all wound up smelling like The Gents at an ouback pub, amid uncontrollable laughter.

Yes, it's just for emergencies... but handle with care! 024_cool.gif.7a88a3168ebd868f5549631161e2b369.gif