GA training on hold - PNG here I come.

Tomo

Unfortunately due to the weather being cantankerous at Caboolture (the coast) my GA training has been a little unreliable. So I've pulled the pin on it for the time being as I'm heading off to New Guinea soon. Only had a little bit to go on the Navving side of things, but days off and weather weren't playing the game.

By the way, it's good at home..... just the coast is a mess!

Anyway, some of you may be interested, I'm heading up to Papua New Guinea to help finish of an airstrip, it's in the vicinity of Tari (in the Southern Highlands) at a community called Pori.

Should be pretty interesting, I'm going up with a dozen or so other friends, and it's part of a mission. (self funded)

So when I get back (22nd January) you can expect some interesting photos. I don't leave till the 11th December, which is coming up rather fast!

Bit annoyed at having to post pone my PPL, but looking forward to PNG.

PS. I won't be online during my duration away, so you can expect to have a break from me for about 6 weeks or more from the 11th December! keen.gif.9802fd8e381488e125cd8e26767cabb8.gif

Guest Escadrille

Be careful up there, Tommo things can get ugly really quickly in PNG. Keep you wits about you, especially at night.Never go out alone...Seriously..

Safe travels, PNG is an experience. I lived there for a couple of years as a youngster, would love to go back one day.

If you don't mind me asking, how did you end up wanting to build an airstrip in PNG?

Png

You'll be up in the clouds even when you are on the ground. Nice and humid just what you want. Actually if you can get a bit of height/altitude the climate is pleasant. Good luck. You will get an experience. It's sort of Paradise Lost.. Make the most of it.... Nev

G'day Tomo,

When I arrived in Mt Hagen 21st Jan 1961 - 50 yrs ago - it was a wild place, with only 35 Europeans based there. (att pic taken from TAL C185 indicates). We often flew out to Tari via the 'north' route around Mt Giluwe, and back via Mendi and the 'south' route. Giluwe is some 13,000 ft, and you'll be impressed. In Sept 1961 it [ATTACH]12545.vB[/ATTACH]had an estimated 1 metre of snow down 2000 ft from the summit. We flew round it several times but my pics are long since consumed by fungus...common in PNG. I've added a more recent pic of Tari. If you get a chance - take a flight further into the NW of Tari to see the Strickland River gorges, (frightening limestone cliff country), and also down to Lake Kutubu - where Qantas & later TAA used to land Catalinas.

As everyone has said - PNG has deteriorated into a lawless place so stay close to trusted locals. happy days,

[ATTACH]12544.vB[/ATTACH]

1806543283_PNGMtHagenAug1961.jpg.150259a9ec284ec3c804c4538c1d094c.jpg

603541918_PNGTariSHD.jpg.8289d6002e2ee1f328dea479a6dc57a2.jpg

Tari & Mendi

Good luck and safe travels with your Christmas Caper. Doubt that it's changed much in the 25 years since my last operations in the S.E. Highlands but the conditions that those zingy missionary pilots flew in, the machines they did it with and the venues they serviced will certainly afford you a new appreciation in the interpretation of the job description of "Bush Pilot". I'm pretty much an agnostic but reckon that any-one flying in that rugged terrain needed a direct connection with the Omnipotent ATC! Word of warning - when you get back home don't go down the main street in Dalby wearing your 'ass-grass' gear. Enjoy yourself but keep your guard up at all times. Cheers

Have a great time in PNG Tomo but as other members have said please be very careful as I too have heard some pretty horrible stuff about it. Also I want to take this opportunity to wish you & your family a very Merry Christmas & a safe prosperous New Year. Will miss having you on here with the quick wit & sense of humour (not)> Stay safe see you in the New Year. Regards Sue & John.

Thanks a lot everyone, much appreciated: I'm looking forward to it, something very different in a lot of ways!

If you don't mind me asking, how did you end up wanting to build an airstrip in PNG?

It's part of a mission organization, so I heard about it through that, and this community needs an airstrip badly. So I've volunteered myself, as have quite a few others to go and help out.

Some think I'm mad, paying my way, and forfeiting Christmas at home, to go and do manual labour in a dangerous land, but once you see the benefits of what an airstrip can do to a community, it is well worth the effort.

I've got friends that fly over there, and or that used too (fortunately they're all still with us!) So I hear first hand of what a difference this sort of thing can make.

Looking forward to it, and counting down the days.....

Hey Tomo maybe when you are finished up there you and your friends could duck down to Canberra and build one for them. Heard they need one for the benifit of their community. HUH HUh.

seriously what a great oportunty for you. like other have said be careful. who knows what old warbird you may stumble across.

So I've volunteered myself, Some think I'm mad, paying my way, and forfeiting Christmas at home, to go and do manual labour in a dangerous land.Tomo, I`m not qualified to comment on your sanity 006_laugh.gif.0f7b82c13a0ec29502c5fb56c616f069.gif But I am impressed,good on you.:thumb_up:

Cheers,

Frank.

To this day I yearn to return to see how much of my work is still intact.

David, Good to you also.

Better to do good than evil and I hope you do get back to look at your work.

All the best to you,

Frank.

Good on you Tomo & David,

It is the chance of a lifetime, before you get older and too committed to go. I knew a lot of MAF and YWAM people (Youth With A Mission, but were better know as Youth Without Any Money and various other unofficial titles). I "dated" a bloke who worked as an accountant in Tari in the early 1980's. He remembered me from the residential college we both lived at in the 1970's as the only female shorter than him (and the only one to get out of there still single) so he contacted me through the Old Students Association.

His employer treated married staff a lot better than the single men, so he thought he would find a wife and thereby secure decent housing. Lots of letters & tapes later he had a barney with the company and resigned, moved to Melbourne (and then o/s) and I lost touch. Tari was such a beautiful place. Life would have taken quite a different tack if I had taken up the offer. Being able to really make a difference in people's lives and having a life mission is a fantastic recipe for happiness.

So go and enjoy yourself!

Sue

Guest studentbiggles

Tommo what a great adventure your going to have :thumb_up: and like all of us have said in posts keep very safe "My sweetie"', I'm sure a Higher power will look after you and your friends doing a great job for those in need...I'm so proud of you...I'll be putting in the addoption papers in when you return :big_grin:.

Have a great Chrismas and New Year in PNG................And don't forget the vids and piccy's :black_eye:

Fly and Keep "Him" under your wings.........Cheers Alley...xxxxx

PS. Don't forget :

1. Clean undies and socks......lots of

2. Lots of deodarant! and insect repellant.

3. Hats and sunburn cream.

4. A smart "Party Frock" in case you meet a nice rich Mining Magnet's daughter..!!!!!! 025_blush.gif.9304aaf8465a2b6ab5171f41c5565775.gif (terminology in my trade for "Sunday Best")

And to all other forumites you may like to add to Tommo"s luggage list :big_grin:

"don't forget the aeroguard"

Tomo, I hope you will be kept safe and enjoy the experience! It's so nice to see you helping out others who are much less fortunate than ourselves. I like this quote: "it is better to give than to receive" and I think you are living this precept.

I look forward to hearing about your experiences upon your return.