This should make your blood boil!

Methusala

G'day All, I must tell you that yesterday, enroute to Canberra from Bundaberg, we decided to make the pilgramage to visit the Sir Charles Kingsford-Smith memorial. Surprisingly it took far more effort than we imagined. The Southern Cross or "The Old Bus" as Smithy affectionately nicknamed her, is stored in a concrete and glass bunker surrounded by grassed levees in the Brisbane Airport grounds. It is situated off a road that has been sidestepped by new access roads to the terminals. We had to leave the main road into the area and approach through suburban streets. By keeping an eagle eye out for the inadequate signage, our quest was eventually rewarded. At last we found a small and very deserted car park in front of the place. The path leading through the levees resembled a moat and my lovely wife had her shoes inundated while negotiating the ponded stormwater. Rounding the corner of the concrete arch that serves as roof and sunshade, there it was! The most important historical icon in Australia and perhaps the world's premier aeronautical survivor was sitting forlornly in a dim and dowdy glass prison. I experienced a wave of emotions; firstly, great and awsome humility being confronted by the spirit of Smithy and his brave partners' display of skill and courage... then disappointment at the state of the place.

I believe that Charles Lindberg's Spirit of St Louis is housed in pride of place at the Smithsonian Aerospace museum. Literally millions of visitors per year would visit this place. Smithy's circumnavigation of the world was acknowledged by the great man himself as a much greater accomplishment. Our politicians' mean spirited, half hearted and hugely inadequate celebration of this epoch changing milestone is embarrassing and unworthy.

Let's try to pressure them all into a consensis. The 75th anniversary of his disappearance in the Bay of Bengal occurs next year. What a project to build a world standard monument to Smithy and while we're at it, Hargraves, Charles Ulm, Bert Hinkler, P G Taylor and a score of others who held the torch, leading aeronautics into the future.

Those who know me will wonder what's got to me. I'm usually soo reticent to make a stand or get enthusiastic. Well, I'm inspired...let's see what we can do![ATTACH]12772.vB[/ATTACH]

Good wishes for the new year, Don

236869187_SouthernCross116.thumb.jpg.35da87fc6968dc0975d53d934ae99962.jpg

Guest burbles1

Send your post and photo to The Courier-Mail, Editor-in-Chief, Michael Crutcher. Email [email protected]. Suggest that he run a story on the state of this display, especially given that there are 75th anniversary celebrations next year.

Guest burbles1

I got the name from the contact page for Editors:

http://www.couriermail.com.au/help/contactus

and:

http://www.couriermail.com.au/news/opinion/profiletemplate?profile=1225818857571

You could try one or more of:

[email protected] (online editor)

http://www.couriermail.com.au/news/opinion/profiletemplate?profile=1225825502612 (sports editor)

That's all I've got.

its terrible to see such a monumental part of our aviation and even nations history disrespected to such a degree...it would be great to see it housed in a more 'available' fashion.

keep us all posted on the outcomes of any correspondence with the newspapers etc. id love to see if we can band together to get some respect for the leaders in our aviation history.

liz

I think that is an over reaction. You may not be aware that Brisbane airport is a work in progress. The whole road system has been changed in recent times, a new car park has resulted in temporary parking and taxi areas, and it is far from complete.

I'm not surprised at water innundation, Brisbane has had 6 months worth of rain in the last few weeks and much of QLD is underwater.

The aircraft is surrounded by displays, and that glass is not just to stop people poking the aircraft, it is a completely climate controlled area to protect it. I know, because I was once offered the honour of going in there and boarding the Southern Cross. I climbed through the door in the back and sat in Smithy's seat. It was awe-inspiring.

Since then I've visited the building numerous times and there have always been people there looking at the Southern Cross, so it gets plenty of attention.

I do agree the signage is lacking now, it was much clearer using the old roads and I would hope this is upgraded when the airport work has been completed.

The type of facility you are talking about would cost literally tens of millions of dollars. Who would pay? Should we pay more tax for it? Or which state or federal projects should be put on hold while a museum is built? Business donations in this time of financial crisis would be difficult to come by. Where would it go? Who would staff it and who would pay their wages? Would admission still be free as it is now? Could the aircraft be damaged in transit?

Sharp End just said he thinks it is the most magnificent single aircraft display he has ever seen - and he's seen a few.

At the moment the aircraft is accessible for all to see from every angle, free of charge, it has displays all around, copies of the hand written notes, audio presentations, it is in a dust free temperature/humitidy controlled area, and it is at a major airport where it belongs.

Yea, ive been there several times. Is beautiful to see. I think besides the new works and the rain, what we have is a difference in culture. Aussies are a humble bunch. The yanks go all out for their own history and like to remind themselves of their part in 'world' history, where as aussies are content to quietly remember, and as Mazda said, the climate control should ensure the 'old bus' is around for generations to come.

If it were in the good old united states, im sure there would be an entry fee, a tee shirt, a hat and showbag ;)

My wife knows a puddle when she steps in one!

On this image it is impossible not to discern moisture condensing on the interior glass of the magnificent "climate controlled" space. It is not my "Aussiness" that induces cultural cringe when I regard this inadequate celebration of a magnificent acheivement. It is simply stupidity to place this symbol of magnificent acheivement out of notice of the public, especially young ones. As for how to pay there are a plethora of ideas that come instantly to mind. For one we could divert some of the unnecessary millions poured into Kings, Newington and Geelong grammer. Don't start me on missdirected govt spending. Don

[ATTACH]12776.vB[/ATTACH]

1303929907_SouthernCross115.thumb.jpg.d8f2e733ab12307e4c5212964ab7a3a0.jpg

Guest burbles1

It's not an overreaction to say that a national icon is hard to find (unless you're Damien Lay). At the very least, the display should be better signposted. It is one of many things that need to be brought out into the open for next year's celebrations.

Guest burbles1
perhaps it is time to look at bringing the few, true icons together into a central, Smithsonian style museum?

*gasp* The Southern Cross finished its journey in Brisbane - what better place to leave it? Bringing everything into one place would suck the life out of regional centres. Sacre bleu!

What next? Bring the big pineapple, big orange and big banana together and call it fruit-salad-ville?

One spot.....one fire.......you loose the lot.....in one go.

I reckon the Commonwealth owns the aircraft.........so let's be glad they haven't scrapped it ! (F111)

Hubert Wilkins (an Aussie) used this machine for polar exploration. At that stage it was a single engine Fokker VII. It was wrecked on the job and then converted to /3M for onsale.

Mazda nailed it in one; Brissie airport and the road system in particular have undergone massive redevelopment and there is more to come. Previously the facility was well sign posted and a pleasure to visit, and I would hope that this will once again be the case once the dust has settled, so to speak. Perhaps a polite reminder to the relevant authorities would not go amiss, but a media campaign to protest what is in all likelihood an interim inconvenience is just plain silly and a complete over-reaction.

Oh and quite what Geelong Grammar et al have to do with a museum exhibit in Qld I fail to understand.040_nerd.gif.a6a4f823734c8b20ed33654968aaa347.gif

Ring the bells! Rejoice! Blackrod, I knew that you would come around. I have no particular qualms if Brisbane was the location chosen, though Kingsford Smith airport has at least as much claim. I like the idea of a central national aviation monument with the Southern Cross as centerpiece. It would be a huge tourist drawcard and may even entice international tourists that where not tempted by the peurile "Where the ***** **** are you?" campaign of recent history.

A careful reading of this thread would enlighten any one regarding millions of tax dollars wasted in moneypits like...Geelong Grammer, Kings, Newington... etc, etc. Don

A similar situation exists with Sir Ross & Keith Smiths, Vickers Vimy located at Adelaide airport. [first Uk Aust flight]

New terminal built, which almost completely isolates the plane from the public........A great shame on our planners.

Happy new year to all! With your indulgence (today, being a holiday perhaps a few minutes spare to indulge!). This is the last para of Peter FitzSimons' book,"Charles Kingsford Smith".

And yet, just as Charles Kingsford Smith said it would, his spirit lives on, even in the strictly regulated corporate aviation age. In January 2008, the South China Morning Post reported the story of an Australian pilot, Ian Wilkinson, chief pilot of Hong Kong's Cathay Pacific Airways' Boeing 777 fleet who - with Cathay Pacific chairman Chris Pratt and many VIP passengers on board - was piloting the Boeing 777-300 ER when it took off on its maiden flight from the manufacturer's plant in Everett, Washington. Though Wilkinson was a pilot of high standing and excellent record, something got into him on that day. Instead of simply taking her up and letting the autopilot do the rest, flying them all the way to Hong Kong, Wilkinson suddenly turned her around and performed what was described as a "Top Gun-like manoeuvre", which included swooping down to within 10 metres of the runway. After a disciplinary hearing, sadly, Wilkinson was sacked, while his co-pilot was suspended from training duties for 6 months.

Just what got into Wilkinson that day? I don't think there can be any doubt. Surely, the spirit of Smithy....

(Don't attempt this at home!) Regards, Don:super:

Guest Maj Millard

Yes I agree the this historic aircraft should be in a more accessable position, so that more people, and particulary the young, get to see it on a daily basis. When I viewed it some years ago at Brisbane Airport, I did manage to find it, but did feel that it was a bit off the beaten path. A pilgrimage perhaps ??

I am very happy that it still exists, and that it is cared for in what I thought was a very impressive (if small) building. The size of the building may have been a factor in the climate control figures ?, with what is really a no-earner situation. As Ozzie mentioned, no T-shirts, stickers or show bags.

The Alcock and Brown Vickers Vimy in Adelaide, which is possibly the only real one in existance, is historically just as significant an aircraft, even though they were a British crew. Remember back in 1921 we were all members of the 'Empire' so to speak, and this was a feat to be admired by all. It is also pleasing that that aircraft survives, but by the sound of it should also have a more promenent spot in the terminal itself. Long live the spirit of Smithy !............................................................................Maj...