Aviation Tafe Course

Has anyone looked up the Tafe course advertised in the Dec-Jan mag?

http://www.msit.tafe.qld.gov.au/courses/info/712.php

55 hours over 13 weeks with an $800 price tag. Would it be any better than just reading all the textbooks at home? I've read an older version of the ATC BAK book I borrowed from the library. Then I bought Bob Taits BAK book (which was ok but I liked the ATC better). And then for Christmas I got the ATC Student Kit which I've just got stuck into. The first time I read it, it was all a jumble of numbers and abbreviations with only 1/2 of it getting thru. With each subsequent reading it's all really sinking in and it didn't cost $800.

Chris Kent.

HI Chris

Like you I had a lot of problems finding a single source for all the information needed to study for the underpinning knowledge needed for exams but more importantly to understand why aircraft act in a particular way.

The answer to your problem is right here on this site. Click the link for tutorials. They may seem complex and difficult at first but there is a reason for that. If you take the time to read carefully take notes ask lots of questions in the forums to make sure you really do understand you will not need anthing further. Your only other need is to take the time to learn thoroughly.

Guest davidh10

Chris;

I really think it depends on your best method of learning. If you need a formal course, then it is probably quite good, however if you are adept at self training and Internet research, then I would say it is unnecessary.

I started by reading all the tutorials by JB on this site. After that I commenced actual flight training and attending groundschool sessions held by the CFI who was teaching me. I feel there is an advantage to have that connection between the physical training and the theory, as the instructor knows you and can relate things to your specific situation and stage of training.

Next, there are many useful sites on the Internet (as with all Internet sources, look for authoritative sites and independent corroboration) and this one where you have access to ask questions and get answers.

As I was aiming at a RAA Pilot Certificate, I downloaded the Operations Manual from their web site and made a list of all the syllabus topics. Then I researched those topics and made 43 pages of notes, which I can use to revise later too. For me, making my own notes helps me internalise the information, but your mileage may vary, as they say in the classics. 004_oh_yeah.gif.82b3078adb230b2d9519fd79c5873d7f.gif

For weather and atmospheric info, the Weather bureau (http://www.bin.gov.au/registe/by_prod/aviation/) is very good, as is The Cloud Appreciation Society (cloudappreciationsociety.org). Just two examples.

d 10's outline shows discipline and organisation. He has worked out what to cover and found reliable source/reference material and then made his own notes to "ingrain" (my words) that knowledge. Diagrams stay in your memory IF you copy them, much more than they do if you just look at them. When you write your notes re-examine them as you write each line, and make sure that they CLEARLY say what you want them to say and it will sink in more that way. You can learn HOW to learn.. Nev

• 2 weeks later...

Quick question about this course if anyone is in the know, When I enquired about who is running it and what we need, TAFE (being tafe) told me that 'Bill' will let us know in the first lesson.... anyone know any more? If your going?

If only the TAFEs in Sydney would offer something similar. It seems that further education in aviation subjects is waning. I'd love to do a part time course of that nature.

Surely it would be time to set up a high quality on line degree or TAFE qualification in aviation subjects. Australia, coming from an illustrious start, is fading into obscurity in the aviation scene. Discracefull. ...Nev

Guest Kevin the Penniless

Personally I would study without paying that sort of money. You should try to get together with others at your flying school (rainy days) and have study/discussion groups. They can be a fun way to learn. And never be afraid to ask questions - as long as you're sure the people you ask have the knowledge. Some pilots have funny ideas on things aeronautical!

Kevin, your last two para's say it all. You might have trouble getting the expertise and knowledge into any of the "places of higher learning", even. The trouble with groups at the club is that a very convincing argument or line of thought might be put forward and accepted which is not correct. I saw this happen once and there was a resulting aircraft accident less than one hour later. Nev

True. It's not very different except you have record of it. Confusion is possible on-line. I am always reluctant to buy into a early student's concerns/problems. It's unfair to the instructor that they have at the time. Everyone should be entitled to a second opinion, though and the Instructor must be first class or should be moved on.. Also you can do so much more face to face and with a blackboard, (or a stick in the dirt). Nev

These are my thoughts, I am still looking for a school here in brisbane, going for another TIF this weekend at archerfield, this time is something a little bigger (for us 6ft7 blokes its hard to fit into the smaller planes...), It would be good to get a couple of different opinions on things, I mean, always follow what the man in the left hand seat is showing you (or lady for that matter), but having a broad range of information to snack on can never hurt one self, just dont act on it without asking first ;)

Guest Kevin the Penniless

By the way, TAFE (Torrens Valley?) here in SA offered the "Diploma of Aviation" at Parafield back in the eighties, so no, this TAFE isn't the first.

• 3 months later...

Hi Chris Kent, wondering how your studies are progressing? I found the BAK content published through ATC overwhelming at first and is beginning to sink in. I found forums like these invaluable and watching a few uploaded youtube clips on circuits and radiotelepony helps a little. I've got a long way to go yet but I think it's getting there.

Hey Jerra. As circumstances haven’t allowed me to start flight training yet:crying:, hitting the books is all I have to keep me sane. I’m having better time with the BAK book by making notes and drawing pictures of the parts I’m having trouble remembering as was suggested earlier in the thread. It really helps engrain it into your memory. As opposed to the ‘Readings’ as I said in my first post. And of course keeping up to date with the forum chatter.