Holding heading & height

Hey guys,

ive completed 6 navs so far on the way to my ppl. Most of the nav stuff is working well for me but I seem to struggle to maintain accuracy with holding my heading and height 076_joystick.gif.1d2ed07889352a966338f6390696faff.gif

From memory I think my instructor said that for the PPL flight test the tolerances are +-10 degrees and +- 200'? Is that right?

I cant put my finger on the problem, but at times its been closer to +-30 degrees and +-400'

Any hints or tips? hmm maybe I just need to keep a big focus on it and not allow myself to become distracted?

I know sometimes I let it slip if i have my head down map reading/doing calculations and my instructor said I need to use my peripheral vision more to maintain S&L...ahhh frustrating! HELP?! blink.gif.7ee21b69ed31ab2b1903acc52ec4cc3f.gif

To maintain a heading go back to basics - pick a distant aiming point - maintain aiming point with rudder (those things you rest your feet on) and use aileron only to keep wings level. This will also be the least tiring way of flying. As for height, airangel is right, trim trim trim.

Cheers

Bill

• Like 1

Razza....maintain your heading using aileron and rudder coordination...that should be there at all times.....constant scanning will work.....80% of your time should be spent looking outside the cockpit, 20% inside......that should help keep it all in place.

and yes...trim is a great feature!!

Actually the height part of it isnt TOO bad on a good day...its when i come across thermals and sinking parcels of air that it all goes to ****!

Last week I was flying a cherokee 6 with CSU and autopilot (heading hold) and it was soo damn easy! haha I do need to learn how to control it myself tho!

Your eyes should be outside nearly all the time, not 50% of the time. You can't look for traffic if your head is inside, let alone maintaining reference with the natural horizon. 20 degrees could lead to you being unsure of your position, and 400 feet could mean VCAs or traffic conflicts, so accuracy is imperative.

When flying, just don't let it get away from you, and don't tolerate the inaccuracy, because testing officers won't. Do look for a visual reference and fly there S & L, just as you do in the training area. If there is that much variation, perhaps you are fixating on something (chart, plan, instruments?). Just think - when you are driving a car, do you look put your head down looking at the street directory 50% of the time, or do you watch the road and glance down every now and then?

It might come down to a bit more preparation before you go flying. Do you have your chart maked up, your flight plan completed, a good kneeboard? Do you use markers? Can you estimate your markers with your thumb, pencil markers etc for diversions? It is surprisingly accurate, there's no usually little need to measure tracks exactly and get out your ruler. Do you have all the navaids, radio frequencies set before you take off? Do you have the next ones all written out on your plan so you don't have to look them up all the time? Have you marked up your ERSA with circuit direction, circuit height etc?

Do you set a heading bug (if you have one) before you take off and on each leg? Do you do a pre-take off check including talking through your circuit departure and outbound heading? Do you have ground features within a few miles of departure/turning points to prevent basic errors?

All you need to do is be well prepared, take off and mark your time, check your ground feature to make sure you are on track, and choose your reference point. Fly the aeroplane. When you are settled, you can do your clearo(f) checks, ETA and mile/minute markers. When doing those, no hurry. Fly the aeroplane, calculate a marker, fly the aeroplane, look out, scan, do another marker. From then on sit back, relax, and fly the aeroplane. If you hold your heading and height the navigation will generally take care of itself. Every now and then check your watch, check your map to see where you should be, then head out again while you fly the aeroplane and ensure you are on track.

I wouldn't suggest going for your test until you can maintain your height and heading -not just for the sake of passing the test, but to ensure you are safe and effective when you have the licence.

To fly at a height, IF you are climbing gradually or TENDING to lose height gradually, Alter pitch trim. Trim to remove control pressure, NOT to alter attitude.

When you notice you are high/low alter the ATTITUDE by reference to the horizon and hold it constant. Refer to the altimeter after a while and check you are regaining you level. When you have, then adjust your attitude slightly. to maintain it. In some planes if your airspeed is changing, your trim will change too, so you are really making it difficult if this is happening.

Keeping straight... Check your wings are LEVEL. This is the datum you start from. This doesn't guarantee that the heading won't change and often it will trend to go one way or the other. You correct this with rudder( VERY little), ( and you would trim it if you could). It may require a slight pressure on one side. IF this is the case the "fixed" trim tab on the rudder should be reset.( can only be done on the ground). Some aircraft are not rigged correctly. An aeroplane should not have to be flown wing low.

Unless the atmosphere is unstable, you should hold heading to about 5 degrees and keep alt to about 50 feet. The faster the plane flys the smaller the pitch change required to produce a large rate of climb/descent . You cannot use a magnetic compass to HOLD a heading. It is too lively (even a good one). You have to fly an average most times, or use a gyro driven heading reference. Don't chase an instrument indication. Using a point ahead of you is the go, but you will only pass over it if there is NO crosswind. (Covered in Nav). ....Nev

thanks for all the comments guys...such a helpful bunch :thumb_up:

Mazda...I dont like to accept inaccuracies or any form of poor performance from myself...I set the bar pretty high for myself and become very frustrated if I cant reach that level...thats why im here, so I can improve upon my weaknesses and become a better, safer pilot :big_grin:

Definately some things to work on....spend more time looking outside, scanning the instruments more frequently, picking a reference point, become more precise with my trimming & RELAX! augie.gif.8d680d8e3ee1cb0d5cda5fa6ccce3b35.gif

But making small heading adjustments with rudder is the correct technique. David./QUOTE]

i seriously dont see how flying the aeroplane out of balance with the rudder is going to aid in anything. when you fly the aeroplane and make any direction changes, regardless of how small they are....rudder and aileron should be used together!!!

I think everyone struggles to maintain altitude and heading when they start navs. One thing that I saw constantly as an instructor is students with their head buried in the cockpit for a long periods. They would occasionally look up and notice the aircraft is banking either way... the response was simply put in some opposite aileron and then back to the map. You need to set the attitude and then trim! This can only be done by spending time finding the right attitude and making sure that it is trimmed. The student would bury their head for a few seconds and then notice the aircraft now banking the opposite way.

The point is dont simply put in a random amount of corrective input and go back to the map.... just concentrate on getting the attitude right again... make sure it is trimmed and THEN go back to the map.

My understanding of using the rudder to make a minor change of heading is this, I notice that I am flying 185 instead of 180, I briefly apply a small amount of left rudder, right wing lifts due to secondary effects, aircraft gently rolls left. We are still using roll to turn but as a secondary effect of yaw.

Try using your ears to maintain height. The prop/motor will spin a bit faster if nose down and a bit slower in climb - can be quite subtle, but it works well for me. (muso ears)

regards

Nav Training

Howdy All...

Is there anything that I can do as a good primer for navigation training, I've only had 30 minutes in the air, and if/when this bloody weather clears Up I want to do more, the more I read from everyone else the more the mechanics done bother me, rather all the planning and thinking... any sites, any activities, any thoughts?

Mark:joystick:

Though I am not exactly quallified to tell you, one thing I didn't see anyone mention is throttle too.

Though trim will work around it, it is a good habbit to get into to always have the same revs on the engine.

Are you using a whisky compass for heading? You would find it easier if you have a directional gyro. I don't go along with the idea of pointing at something on the horizon and steering towards it, because cross winds will be taking you off course and you will then pick another point and the same thing will happen. To make my point maybe a little easier to understand, assume your desired track is North and the wind is from the East. You point towards a hill and the wind pushes you off course, you still point towards the hill, but you end up "bird dogging" to it from somewhere to it's South West. Now you pick up another hill on the correct heading and do the same again. The only way this will work is if you only change heading when you are directly over your target hill. Otherwise each target becomes progressively set off downwind.

I know it is hard for the low hours pilot and you will improve, but just keep a good check on that height. 400' could have you meeting IFR traffic. Keep practicing and it will all come together.