REX Cadetships

Hello all,

Our lad is completing the Bachelor of Applied Science (Civil Aviation) through Uni SA. He is in his second year and is looking at the REX Cadetship. Is there anyone out there currently completing this or has completed it recently? Looking at various threads the verdict looks split as to if this is any good or not. We are thinking it should get him a job in aviation and move him along towards aircraft command down the track (maybe a long way down but he's only 20). Income wise we're not sure but the threads seem to suggest hard work (not a bad thing) but for a small wage. The small wage isn't as good but define small. $45 to $50K for someone starting seems ok to us but if we are being ignorant please send in your thoughts. The danger in such a cadetship seems to be if his medical is lost at some point or if he doesn't make it or drops out as the financial penalty seems significant. We have only just started to look at stuff like this so all thoughts and comments gratefully accepted.

Hi Winsor68

Thank you for that blast from the past I really enjoyed it...my first glider flight was in a kookaburra off a winch launch at Beaudesert when I was about 18 I think. It was frightening that first time then I did a few other flights over the years until the mid 80's when I went to Kingaroy and ended up with about 80hrs in gliders. It was a great time in my life those days

Mark

Guest basscheffers

http://www.rex.com.au/cadetpilot/cadet_faq.pdf

Salaries on page 44: http://www.pilotaptitude.com/files/REX.pdf

Looks like you will need to pony up $23K to get him started, and he'll have to repay $600-700/month for 7 years.

It may be less because this is meant as an ab-initio program and he'll already have his CPL. You need to talk to Rex.

The Grandson of a friend of mine was accepted for the cadetship with Rex at Wagga just prior to Xmas.

He was doing the Uni course at Brisbane hoping to join the Airforce. I think he opted for Rex because of the uncertainty of becoming a fighter pilot.

The above description with cost options can be viewed at "Rex cadetship"

One option is 23k up front with a couple of guarantors.

Phil

I would consider this a fairly good way of getting into the right seat. That is where you have to start..Rex have had trouble keeping pilots, who generally jump ship into something bigger at the first opportunity. The cadetship scheme would be their answer to this problem as they want you to be around for a while. Airline employment has always been a bit of luck as it is boom or bust in cycles. They don't keep extra crews above requirements and it is usually "last On , first OFF". There is a looming shortage of pilots, IF all the planes they plan to operate end up coming to fruition. The experience of flying turbo-props on feeder routes is good as you get lots of sectors which means plenty of landings and more "real" flying... Nev

• 2 months later...