Feedback on NatFly

Guest burbles1

The USA FAR Part 103 ultralight class (254lb/115kg empty weight; 5 gal/19L fuel; 55kt max airspeed; stall 24kt) seems a interesting set of rules for true rag and tube people to get back the the origins of light low cost flying.

The article on the Belite (under US$20K) in "Kitplanes" Apr 11 should get them interested in low cost rag and tube interested. Would fit into R A Aus regulations I am sure, with the ability to increase empty weight, speed, and I assume fuel capacity here.

• Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Guest burbles1

It was great though, to see the modern-day equivalent of "rag and tube", low and slow flying - the aerochute exhibition looked interesting and the sales rep was so enthusiastic and engaging.

That's what I was predicting with my "VC" comment.I wasn't having a go either way.

Good to see the R&T blokes were awake:cheezy grin:

Like the Captain said there is room for all.

From my point of view, it's all a bit like red wine there's the good stuff and the great stuff!

Oh we (me) are awake alright and paying attention, even if we don't post all that often.

Pud

I agree Pud. My yellow Xair R and T was parked next to my mates Perceptor N3 Pup (2 cyl vw R and T). We onlt travel at 60kts cruise but give us the fuel and we will match any distance you can fly (it will just take us longer.) For example, I left Temora on Sunday morning, headed for Inverell. Then to Armidale where I am at present and will return to Goulburn on Saturday, weather gods willing. Total air time 15 hrs. Trailer the aircraft to Temora, I dont think so.

Heon, I dont even need water to land.

I agree with others on the forum, I enjoyed the flyin, didn't go on Saturday night as I did it last year and a little of that went a long way. Food court was good but could have used a little more tweeking. Bar service was excellent.

The train around the site could have used springs in the carriages as back damage was a very real thing for those in the rear seats.

Very disappointed in Raa Aus management and some board members. (other board members did make a good appearance) No high profile at what is, after all, the premier Raa aus event of the year.

Given the problems that Cazza has had with the Raa Aus upper management and their political agendas, why dont we appoint the CEO to bust his butt and organise next years event to the same high that the people who actualy work at the coalface and not the office bar fridge, can acheive.

Great to catch upwith a lot of the members of this forum and put faces to names on Friday morning.

I thought the air display was great and more would be a good thing.

Rag and tube rocks!!!

Enough of my rant for now:ranting:

Maynard

Hi Burbles, Will give you some feedback (in italices ) on your feedback so you have the whole picture, Carol Richards.

Happy Easter!Okay, here's a thread for some serious comments on what you thought of NatFly 2011. What works well, what's missing. I spent Friday and Saturday milling around, mainly taking pics of the crowd and trade displays. I thought the number and variety of trade displays was down from last year - the big players were there, and good to see Morgan Aeroworks and Brumby as usual. But there is room for more variety - perhaps smaller kit aircraft should be on display. Anyone who wants to be an exhibitor can be. The staff and I do not determine who will exhibit. If smaller kit aircraft people do not want to come, then there is little anyone can do to get them there. Got any ideas? One of the things I learned on the Board, is that if you have a good idea, you have to follow it through, because there just isn't the staff to follow all ideas through.

I was a bit disappointed that the AWPA didn't get much exposure, stuck out on their own away from the crowd. AWPA and any other 'sister organisation is given a free site in the small site devision. Since a huge program was planned for taxiway echo hangars A and B, all of the exhibitors along there had opportunity for exposure. I haven't had any complaints from the gals in AWPA.

The aerobatic display each day was great, and the fly-bys (gyro, a few others) added some excitement to an otherwise "flat" event.

Natfly has never been about 'entertainment'. It has always been an event for pilots to talk to pilots, to look at aircraft, to learn more about maintaining aircraft, flying better, education and commardery. If we want entertainment, then the nature of Natfly has to change, starting with

charging an entrance fee to pay professional staff to organise excitement. That won't be me.

By Saturday, I thought that one thing to make it more exciting throughout the day would be more announcements. I jumped on the mic and announced the speakers program for 10.00 and 11.00. There should be a little more of that to announce events and draw a crowd for speakers.

I agree and we had organised for the local community radio station, TEM.fm to be there broadcasting and announcing and guess what? On Thursday they discovered they didn't have the right equipment and couldn't do it. So then what? We need more volunteers, we need people to put their hand up now and take charge of an area and see that it happens. I have no technical expertise, and no one else in the town had the time or

expertise for this to happen?

I only got to a few talks on Saturday, but they were mostly well attended, so it seems the right topics were covered.

Organisation was acceptable. It was good to see a few people buzzing around in golf buggies handing out programs - those were good too, with an aerial pic of the venue on one side and the day's program on the other. Clever. But can someone tell me what the RA-Aus Support Vehicle was supposed to do? Four people in a golf buggy - including a couple of teens - that drove around seemingly not doing much. This is the operations support vehicle, there to assist marshallers, pilots who have flat tires, pilots who need assistance if their aircraft does a hard landing and needs to be moved from the runway, etc. If they had little to do, that is a good thing.

I pick up on small details, and on my walks through carparks saw a few ladies sitting in cars reading. Was the Ladies Program (town excursions, wine and cheese trip) not good enough? It's a shame if we're leaving some people out of the action. Three of us worked for seven months on the ladies program. We advertised it in the magazine starting in December. If ladies do not want to participate, that is their right, but unless you have some other ideas and want to take over organising that program, I do not know what else we can do.

Any other comments?

Yes, we need more volunteers. I put a call for ideas for the program on this forum before Christmas. I put a call for volunteers in the Dec/Jan magazine. We had a good response, but it is never enough because the job is so big. Help Help Help. That's what we need to make the event what you want.

Cazza

Hi Burbles, Will give you some feedback (in italices ) on your feedback so you have the whole picture, Carol Richards.

Okay, here's a thread for some serious comments on what you thought of NatFly 2011. What works well, what's missing. I spent Friday and Saturday milling around, mainly taking pics of the crowd and trade displays. I thought the number and variety of trade displays was down from last year - the big players were there, and good to see Morgan Aeroworks and Brumby as usual. But there is room for more variety - perhaps smaller kit aircraft should be on display. Anyone who wants to be an exhibitor can be. The staff and I do not determine who will exhibit. If smaller kit aircraft people do not want to come, then there is little anyone can do to get them there. Got any ideas? One of the things I learned on the Board, is that if you have a good idea, you have to follow it through, because there just isn't the staff to follow all ideas through.

I was a bit disappointed that the AWPA didn't get much exposure, stuck out on their own away from the crowd. AWPA and any other 'sister organisation is given a free site in the small site devision. Since a huge program was planned for taxiway echo hangars A and B, all of the exhibitors along there had opportunity for exposure. I haven't had any complaints from the gals in AWPA.

The aerobatic display each day was great, and the fly-bys (gyro, a few others) added some excitement to an otherwise "flat" event.

Natfly has never been about 'entertainment'. It has always been an event for pilots to talk to pilots, to look at aircraft, to learn more about maintaining aircraft, flying better, education and commardery. If we want entertainment, then the nature of Natfly has to change, starting with charging an entrance fee to pay professional staff to organise excitement. That won't be me.

By Saturday, I thought that one thing to make it more exciting throughout the day would be more announcements. I jumped on the mic and announced the speakers program for 10.00 and 11.00. There should be a little more of that to announce events and draw a crowd for speakers.

I agree and we had organised for the local community radio station, TEM.fm to be there broadcasting and announcing and guess what? On Thursday they discovered they didn't have the right equipment and couldn't do it. So then what? We need more volunteers, we need people to put their hand up now and take charge of an area and see that it happens. I have no technical expertise, and no one else in the town had the time or

expertise to fix it.

I only got to a few talks on Saturday, but they were mostly well attended, so it seems the right topics were covered.

Organisation was acceptable. It was good to see a few people buzzing around in golf buggies handing out programs - those were good too, with an aerial pic of the venue on one side and the day's program on the other. Clever. But can someone tell me what the RA-Aus Support Vehicle was supposed to do? Four people in a golf buggy - including a couple of teens - that drove around seemingly not doing much. This is the operations support vehicle, there to assist marshallers, pilots who have flat tires, pilots who need assistance if their aircraft does a hard landing and needs to be moved from the runway, etc. If they had little to do, that is a good thing.

I pick up on small details, and on my walks through carparks saw a few ladies sitting in cars reading. Was the Ladies Program (town excursions, wine and cheese trip) not good enough? It's a shame if we're leaving some people out of the action. Three of us worked for seven months on the ladies program. We advertised it in the magazine starting in December. If ladies do not want to participate, that is their right, but unless you have some other ideas and want to take over organising that program, I do not know what else we can do.

Any other comments?

Yes, we need more volunteers. I put a call for ideas for the program on this forum before Christmas. I put a call for volunteers in the Dec/Jan magazine. We had a good response, but it is never enough because the job is so big. Help Help Help. That's what we need to make the event what you want.

Cazza

O

• The talks were OK in general but I would like to see some practical, hands on instruction sessions....

• Making an entertaining air display within RAA limitations is a bit hard.

• Temora is a great town with great people. We should make our appreciation known to all....

• The airport shuttle bus was a bit of a disaster. Th

• Not only was the functioning of the organisation invisible, sometimes the organisation itself was too.

• How about some name tags,

• I hesitate to suggest increased use of the PA system

Hi Seal, I just want to respond to some of your feedback.

1. Have been trying to get hands on for 6 years and its almost impossible. Equipment, who brings the compressor, the rivet guns, the materials and how does the presenter cope when 70 people turn up. I organised a practical workshop three years ago for doing a 100 hourly on a jab engine and we limited it to 10 people. Getting someone to volunteer their aircraft for a bunch of people is a problem, and even if you get an aircraft to 'work on', only one person can change the oil filter while the other 9 watch. I run into the same problem year in and year out. This year the SAAA wanted a hands-on workshop so I gave them a hangar and 3 hours. Did anyone go to that and did it work? Even my husband who has a hangar on the field, a compressor, rivet guns, etc, won't do a hands on with more than 2 people. Can I put you in charge of sorting that one out for next year?

2. The airdisplay was a modest start because we are not about entertainment, but about education. Mick Poole had to complete a 30 page risk assessment document for CASA months in advance, detailing everything that could possibly go wrong and then get an emergency plan and work with fire, ambulance, etc, etc. CASA wants every detail, how long each flypast, who the pilot will be, what color his hair is (just kidding), but it is not an easy task. So why don't we do a lot of other 'entertaining' things. Probably because we don't have the time to organise it. SAFETY FIRST is what we are on about.

3. Airport shuttle had a timetable and a route. In the mornings it went to all motels and back to the airfield. Around 11 am it went from the airfield to the town and back. Around 3 I think it started the route around the motels again. Yellow bus timetables were taped to the bus stop and to the signs outside the council tent. Timetables were also available in the council tent. They were on bright yellow paper. I don't know what else the council could do, but am open to suggestions.

4. About the organisation, we do the best we can. The council, the staff and I work for 8 months solid. I would happily turn it over to someone else.

5. Name tags are a great idea. All pilots gave to do is go to the RA-Aus HQ which was on the map on the website, on this site, on huge signs all around the grounds. I'm sure we can do this for next year.

6. Had the PA system covered with TEM.FM, except they didn't come at the last minute because of technical difficulties.

Cazza

1. I was disappointed with the food stalls available.

2. I would have loved Wayne Mathews presentation to have been on the Friday as I missed half the day.

3. I cant understand why one or two of the museum aircraft couldnt have been displayed on one day during the lunch display session. Its a massive draw card to the town and all would have appreciated a quick beat up down the runway. With the amount of visitors I saw going in to the museum, im sure the cost of doing it would have been covered. Is this something that can be organised next year maybe?

Scotty 011_clap.gif.c796ec930025ef6b94efb6b089d30b16.gif

Hi Scotty, just a response to your feedbakc.

1. Last year the biggest complaint to Couincil was the food, all the same type, no variety, no healthy alternatives and no way to sit and watch the world go by. So they decided on having a food court right in the middle of the action surrounded by vendors who provided variety and healthy alternatives. Council called for tenders and any of the organisations such as Rotary, etc could have tendered but they didn't. Those who did come, did their best, but Council has to rely on organisations to want to come and have enough staff to serve. Ideas for fixing that are welcome.

2. Wayne Matthew was covering for Steve Bell, our tech manager who scheduled the day long workshop on Thursday. Steve wanted it then and I

put it on to suit his schedule. When Steve had to go for an operation, Wayne generously stepped in and did a great job. When we have put day-long workshops on Friday or Saturday, we get complaints that people are missing out on other forums. So day long forums of that nature, like the 1/2 day instructor forums will probably continue on the Thursday. AFter all, Natfly is an event that is scheduled for the Friday and Saturday.

interesting forums.

3. The Temora Aviation Museum was asked to participate in the showcase. But the cost of bringing a pilot for each aircraft (even if only two are showcased), housing them, paying their expenses, paying 1/2 a dozen Museum engineers to be there to move the aircraft in and out, check it out, fuel it, pre-flight it, ensure it is ready to go and then flying it normally is in excess of 5 to 6 thousand dollars per aircraft. Because of the ANZAC committments in Canberra and other places, there was not the staff from the Museum to do the jobs that have to be done, the paper work for CASA that has to be done, including making the airspace restricted for that time, and the cost would have too be borne by RA-Aus. So we are back to, do you want to pay a $40 entry fee to Natfly?

Cazza

Above comments sound quite valid to me.

• While I understand the reason for the timing of this year's event (conflict with Avalon, etc.), I think that putting it over the Easter weekend turned out to be a bad idea -

• I was quite disappointed that RA-Aus didn't bring their goodies shop down this year (I was told the trailer was in Melbourne and couldn't be brought up in time!).

• Where were the NATFLY mugs and other souvenirs!? I bought a NATFLY 2010 mug last year and was hoping to continue the collection for each year of my attendance!

Regardless of the negatives, it was a nice time out from the usual humdrum of city life. I already can't wait for NATFLY 2012!

Hi Owi,

Just a clarification on a couple of things.....

1. Natfly is ALWAYS at Easter, always has been, and probably always will be. It has nothing to do with the timing of Avalon or any other event.

The nice thing is that next year Easter is early in April, so hopefully it will be warmer.

2. RA-Aus did bring down their goodies, all they could carry.

3. You didn't get a souvenier mug, because the vendor who makes and sells the sourvenir mugs didn't come. I'll tell him he was missed.

Cheers, Cazza

I have been reading the numerous posts about getting back to the rag and tube and have to say WHY!People are NOT buying them in any number.

New stringbags compete against old stringbags, the problem is that stringbags last a long time if flown with care.

Guest burbles1

I would certainly introduce a nominal entry fee if it means we respond better to what the members want, and it would be used on hiring professional planners. NatFly is not supposed to be entertaining?? On a long weekend and especially Easter holidays?? My heart goes out to all the bored ladies and kids.

Guest burbles1
Help Help Help. That's what we need to make the event what you want.Cazza

I responded when you asked me to help, a few weeks before. I got to the airfield and offered at the morning tea. I made myself prominent every time you whizzed past, too. I finally got to announce some of the program through my own initiative. Could you not take help at the last minute?

Carol...first of all thank you for taking the time to participate on this subject. I for one appreciate what went in to Natfly and its very clear to see now that there has been far to few people left with this big task. What struck me the most in your reply above was the comment "do you want to pay $40 entry fee to get in to Natfly?". Im going to be honest here, yes I am prepared to pay $50 entry in to Natfly plus the $45 it cost me to camp there for 3 nights! My wife does Triathlons and its not uncommon for her to have to pay between $30 and $120 to register! She gets a fancy shirt for that price and thats it!

What are we thinking trying to hold an event like this with no charges? I know Temora prides itself on no landing fees etc. We live in a user pays society and we get what we pay for. This is ludicrous! Where else could we go for 3 nights and pay $45 with the facilities there? I just did a quick add up of what it cost me and my 11 year old Son to attend. Driving from Tamworth and camping 3 nights. $180 fuel, $45 to camp, $150 food, Total of $375. It would cost me that much to take him to the Sydney Easter Show for the day! Would I complain having to pay another $50 for entry in to Natfly, not on your life! In fact while standing at the RAA site a chap was asking what the costs were to attend a particular forum. We expect to pay nowadays.

Was it last year the Aero club had a BBQ dinner on the Friday night? This year we went for a drive up the street on Friday to get some dinner. All the pub bistros were closed. Pizza shop was closed, Chinese was closed. We ended up getting greasey chips from a takeaway joint. We ate at the RSL Thursday night. I realise that Friday is Easter Friday so the Aero club BBQ would have been great for us at least. Considering last year it sold out speaks for itself, plus a good earner for the club. Do the Aero club members not want to volunteer some of their time in return for fund raising for their club?

The second comment that Rotary and the like didnt bother responding to the food tender just blows me away! Was there another event on in Temora that they were at? The food stalls that were there did a great trade from what I saw. Some running out of food! Are there no Schools, Rural fire Service, St Johns, Lion's, Netball clubs, Pony Club, I saw the soccer club there, or any other community organisations that could have made a tidy sum from this weekend? The food that was available was fine. Great to see one stall selling fresh fruit and sangers. Would the local Chinese restaurant not be interested in setting up a stall there? I saw wood fired pizza there. At the end of the day I would like to see the local community receive any income out of it. If they do not want to tender for the food stalls then there are plenty of other commercial vans around the country that make their living out of covering events like this. I wouldnt want to see that but if that is what is needed, we should tender further out than Temora. Are there local Vineyards who would set up a stall?

I know Wayne Mathews personally and the fact he was a last minute ring in. Your right, what he had to say was gold! Hence the reason his presentation needs to be at a time where most people can access it. Maybe half a day Friday and half a day Saturday. What Wayne presented was nothing short of what we are all about. Keeping everything running right and staying safe. I learnt so much in the half day I attended.

I fully understand the costs involved for the Museum to fly an aircraft or two. Maybe with out the clash with ANZAC next year and if an entry fee is implemented, something could be done. Is there any reason it couldnt be one of their flying weekends? Imagine the exposure RAA would get then!

Carol please do not take this as a personal attack in what you have done, I saw you working your butt off, and it was nice to see you let your hair down at the Bush poets night, and its clear to see now that if we want anything different to what we just had, we as the users need to pay! Thank you again for giving us your insight.

Scotty 019_victory.gif.9945f53ce9c13eedd961005fe1daf6d2.gif

Guest burbles1

Beautifully put Scotty.

Cazza, the whole event needs to become better organised and planned - now! Please be open to new ideas when I come to see you in a few weeks (and don't you dare say no 054_no_no_no.gif.950345b863e0f6a5a1b13784a465a8c4.gif). If you don't like what I say after the first hour, I'll be on my way.

Just a clarification on a couple of things.....

1. Natfly is ALWAYS at Easter, always has been, and probably always will be. It has nothing to do with the timing of Avalon or any other event.

The nice thing is that next year Easter is early in April, so hopefully it will be warmer.

Thanks, Cazza.

This was only my second NATFLY, so I stand corrected. It doesn't bother me that it's over Easter, it bothers me that the attendance (by people and vendors) was down and I feel that this was due in large part to the convergence of Easter and ANZAC day on the same weekend. It had to have been a factor.

2. RA-Aus did bring down their goodies, all they could carry.

If all they could carry from their shop was a few bottle-openers and some Bolly caps for GYFTS, then I'm shocked that they couldn't find a bigger bag! 033_scratching_head.gif.b541836ec2811b6655a8e435f4c1b53a.gif I think that they could've done a brisk business selling merchandise to people like me who like to see and touch before we buy.

3. You didn't get a souvenier mug, because the vendor who makes and sells the sourvenir mugs didn't come. I'll tell him he was missed.

Thanks!

From my point of view, it's all a bit like red wine there's the good stuff and the great stuff!

No wonder there wasnt much left in Camp David on Saturday 004_oh_yeah.gif.82b3078adb230b2d9519fd79c5873d7f.gif004_oh_yeah.gif.9e5fda4460dcecb69107978dfbca9899.gif004_oh_yeah.gif.82b3078adb230b2d9519fd79c5873d7f.gif

Your explanation of 95-10 David was very good. The Belite I spoke of would fit well. However a "rocket" with a turbine one can dream over...how do you get enough fuel in under 300kg to feed the beast (rhetorical question!)

Guest burbles1

Guys,

If you do not have any further comments on how to improve the event, please stop posting here. I think this thread has fulfilled its intention now. Thankyou all for your valuable suggestions. 099_off_topic.gif.20188a5321221476a2fad1197804b380.gif

Im going to be honest here, yes I am prepared to pay $50 entry in to Natfly plus the $45 it cos.........Was it last year the Aero club had a BBQ dinner on the Friday night? Considering last year it sold out speaks for itself, plus a good earner for the club. Do the Aero club members not want to volunteer some of their time in return for fund raising for their club?

The second comment that Rotary and the like didnt bother responding to the food tender just blows me away! Was there another event on in Temora that they were at?

I know Wayne Mathews personally and the fact he was a last minute ring in. Your right, what he had to say was gold! Hence the reason his presentation needs to be at a time where most people can access it. Maybe half a day Friday and half a day Saturday.

I fully understand the costs involved for the Museum to fly an aircraft or two. Maybe with out the clash with ANZAC next year and if an entry fee is implemented, something could be done. Is there any reason it couldnt be one of their flying weekends? Imagine the exposure RAA would get then!

Scotty 019_victory.gif.9945f53ce9c13eedd961005fe1daf6d2.gif

Hi Scotty and Burbles1,

1. The Board is adamant that Natfly be run without an entry fee. So if you want tht changed you have to convince the Board that a majority of members are willing to pay big bucks as an entry fee. Not everyone thinks like you. I had two people who insisted on camping in the underwing section in their cars (no airplane) because Underwing camping was only $5 a night and lOTS of people didn't pay even that.

2. THE BBQ at the Aeroclub on Friday night was not an AEROClub event nor did it raise money for the Aeroclub. The aeroclub refused to be involved in the BBQ, but allowed the Cessnock club and residents on the field to use their facilities. No the Aeroclub doesn't want to do that because its too much trouble and they make thousands out of selling grog which is easy. Cessnock club put it on as a fund raiser for the GYFTS program and the Holbrook Museum. No such offers came this year. It was my understanding the food court would operate on Thurs, Fri and Sat nights. The food court was the council's responsibility. I will pass on your comments, however, the council cannot force eateries to be open, so maybe you belong to a club that will do a BBQ next year?

3. Yes there was another event on in Temora, the Jet Boats. Again, Council was, as part of their tender, to contact community groups. I have to asssume they will do their job.

4. About Wayne, if people are happy to spend a day with him and miss out on other forums, that's fine, but this is in hindsight and doesn't fix the problem that people are here on Thursday and I try to provide for that as well and that it was a time slot specified by our technical manager.

5. The decision for the Museum to fly is held with the CEO of the Museum. The airspace has to be declared restricted and he has to be willing to do all the paperwork, etc. This decision is also tied to the entry fee. Perhaps RA-Aus could run a survey and find if people are willing to pay an for the weekend.

6. Burbles1, the problem of a lack of help starts today, by the time Natfly is in full swing, it is impossible to change the direction of history.e You did what could be done, but the rest of it, was too late for all of us.

So we need people who are willing to take on the jobs now and organise them now and liaise with council RA-Aus, Board now.

a. We put on a full program for young people three years ago, a tent, sessions for the 8-12 and guess what. Each session had only 1 dor 2 kids, because they want to stay with their parents. Council put on films in town just for natfly families and guess what., NO ONE attended. Tried to get the jumping castle, wouldn't come.

So I am happy that there is so much interest in improving Natfly, and those who are serious about helping can put up their hands to coordinate sections of the event; This is what we need here on the ground now to start planning and taking responsibility for:

Coordinator of Women's Program - Work with Amanda McCrone from the Council

Coordinator of Children's Program - Work with Amanda McCrone from the Council

Coordinator of Exhibitor Flypast on the PA announcements - Work with Sue Perokovic and Mick Poole

Coordinator of Signage - Work with Fabio at the Council

Food - Work with Andrew Robbins and Gary Lavelle at the Council

Bus and Bus Schedules - Work with Andrew Robbins at the Council

Program - Work with me, as no one else has access to people on the airfield with hangars.

Get Board approval for this new structure and Get Board approval for instigating an Entry Fee.

Thanks for your help, Carol

I didn't go to natfly, primarily because my dog's shots weren't up to date so I couldn't put her in a kennel, but:

the idea of a "Ladies" program is a complete turnoff. it promotes an idea of recreational aviation being for a certain type of person with certain bits and certain other people with certain other bits are to do crochet or mug painting or whatever. not the image you want to promote, especially for people who may be bringing their daughters.

Hi Scotty and Burbles1,1. The Board is adamant that Natfly be run without an entry fee. So if you want tht changed you have to convince the Board that a majority of members are willing to pay big bucks as an entry fee. Not everyone thinks like you. I had two people who insisted on camping in the underwing section in their cars (no airplane) because Underwing camping was only $5 a night and lOTS of people didn't pay even that.

2. THE BBQ at the Aeroclub on Friday night was not an AEROClub event nor did it raise money for the Aeroclub. The aeroclub refused to be involved in the BBQ, but allowed the Cessnock club and residents on the field to use their facilities. No the Aeroclub doesn't want to do that because its too much trouble and they make thousands out of selling grog which is easy. Cessnock club put it on as a fund raiser for the GYFTS program and the Holbrook Museum. No such offers came this year. It was my understanding the food court would operate on Thurs, Fri and Sat nights. The food court was the council's responsibility. I will pass on your comments, however, the council cannot force eateries to be open, so maybe you belong to a club that will do a BBQ next year?

3. Yes there was another event on in Temora, the Jet Boats. Again, Council was, as part of their tender, to contact community groups. I have to asssume they will do their job.

4. About Wayne, if people are happy to spend a day with him and miss out on other forums, that's fine, but this is in hindsight and doesn't fix the problem that people are here on Thursday and I try to provide for that as well and that it was a time slot specified by our technical manager.

5. The decision for the Museum to fly is held with the CEO of the Museum. The airspace has to be declared restricted and he has to be willing to do all the paperwork, etc. This decision is also tied to the entry fee. Perhaps RA-Aus could run a survey and find if people are willing to pay an for the weekend.

6. Burbles1, the problem of a lack of help starts today, by the time Natfly is in full swing, it is impossible to change the direction of history.e You did what could be done, but the rest of it, was too late for all of us.

So we need people who are willing to take on the jobs now and organise them now and liaise with council RA-Aus, Board now.

a. We put on a full program for young people three years ago, a tent, sessions for the 8-12 and guess what. Each session had only 1 dor 2 kids, because they want to stay with their parents. Council put on films in town just for natfly families and guess what., NO ONE attended. Tried to get the jumping castle, wouldn't come.

So I am happy that there is so much interest in improving Natfly, and those who are serious about helping can put up their hands to coordinate sections of the event; This is what we need here on the ground now to start planning and taking responsibility for:

Coordinator of Women's Program - Work with Amanda McCrone from the Council

Coordinator of Children's Program - Work with Amanda McCrone from the Council

Coordinator of Exhibitor Flypast on the PA announcements - Work with Sue Perokovic and Mick Poole

Coordinator of Signage - Work with Fabio at the Council

Food - Work with Andrew Robbins and Gary Lavelle at the Council

Bus and Bus Schedules - Work with Andrew Robbins at the Council

Program - Work with me, as no one else has access to people on the airfield with hangars.

Get Board approval for this new structure and Get Board approval for instigating an Entry Fee.

Thanks for your help, Carol

Hi Carol...I have been vocal here with ways I think we could improve on the great event we already have. Im a great believer in looking forward and planning for the future. Getting kids "bitten by the bug"so to speak is a priority RAA needs to look at. These kids will be the future of our organisation. In saying this I would like to volunteer to help organise the childrens program. I spent 15 minutes on the web and emailed a business and have a response back stating they would be prepared to travel to Temora on the Friday and Saturday next year to set up a jumping castle. I am awaiting their quote. They have also given me the details of another business who has mobile kids entertainment and also has face painting and tattoos. I found a business who sells balsa throw gliders that can be printed with what ever advertising you like. I was thinking "RAA & Natfly" advertising and holding a short balsa glider building session followed by a "see whos fly's the furtherest" competition with a prize at the end. I cant elaborate on the prize as I havent approached the business involved to see if they would be supportive as yet. I would plan on having two full days of kids entertainment.

I can organise all this and would just need a section at the airport to run a kids entertainment place. The grass patch in front of the cabins would be ideal. This year it was mostly empty except for a few campers cars. Its central to the camping area, away from majority of traffic, off the active area for planes. I also have a few more ideas but im putting my offer on the table! I will need a little support from someone local to arrange a little marquee or the like for some shade.

Let me know if you accept my offer

Scotty 080_plane.gif.36548049f8f1bc4c332462aa4f981ffb.gif

As mentioned in this thread - http://www.recreationalflying.com/threads/natfly-2012-call-for-volunteers.27057/ we will have to wait for the Board to appoint a Board member as Natfly co-ordinator. Hopefully this will happen ASAP before we run out of enthusiasm. We will then have to go with whatever this person wants Natfly to be. I just hope they don't wait for the next 6 monthly meeting ...069_boring.gif.9cee54db3616ee9ac1231638d365dc2c.gif

Sue