Lorraine MacGillivray - Victoria RAA Board Candidate

Thought I would say hi and introduce myself. I work full-time in aviation, hold a GA licence and am a RAA Senior Instructor. Based at West Sale, run an RAA flying school with 33 students. I love my flying, love the industry and could not imagine my life without it.

These elections are important if we want to makes sure that the members have a voice and your concerns and ideas on how the organization is run are heard.

I am very keen to see that the RAA organization is resources sufficiently to keep up with the rapid growth, in member numbers and technological growth, that's is more aircraft types and higher performance in some areas. No we cannot forget the people that just want flying around their local area and not be too encumbered by over regulation. However, we also have to look after those that seek more technology, performance and increased privileges.

So I am about being across the board (pardon the pun) representation. However our flying is about fun and enjoyment, but also about safety and that can never be overlooked.

Look forward to chatting with as many of you as I can, in between my flying.

Cheers Lorraine

• Like 2

098_welcome.gif.81ff07d492568199326e4f64f78d7bc6.gif Lorraine! It appears you are well intentioned! All the best to you!!!Frank.

Thanks Frank I am. I live and breath this industry apart from it being how I earn a living, it is my hobby and my life really. So how it is influenced by our governing bodies is very important.

If you have any questions pleasevask away I will try and keep up with them.

Cheers

Lorraine

098_welcome.gif.81ff07d492568199326e4f64f78d7bc6.gif Lorraine. Whilst I won't be voting for you 'cause I'm in S.A., I think it will be great to have more feminine input in governing our association. I just hope your pretty skin is thick enough to withstand the barbs and arrows that may come your way. Good luck all the same.

Frank ,If you have any questions please ask away, I will try and keep up with them.Cheers

Lorraine

Lorraine, I`ve been a paid up member and active recreational pilot since the mid eighties and I don`t realy have many questions, but since you`ve invited me to ask!

I seem to remember that a while back,the RAA was over a 1/4 of a million dollars in the black!... Lately, I`ve been told that the money is gone and they may be in the red.

Question: Do you know if this is correct?

Cheers,

Frank.

Welcome to the RecFlying Lorraine. This is almost always a very friendly place and it is fantastic to have someone of your interests and experience join us.You are to be congratulated for offering your considerable talents to the members of RA-Aus. I hope our Victorian members take you up on that offer.

It was people like you that I was referring to in an earlier post when I said I was very impressed by the standard of candidates

for these elections.

Thanks so much for your kinds words, I will do my best.

Cheers Lorraine

Back again after a day with family and some flying so can't beat that.

Good to see that people are thinking about what bugs them and what you want from a Board member. RAA is growing fast and it needs to be able to keep up with the number of members and the changing flying environment. Your Board members should be representing you and your interests. They need to act in the best interest of the RAA and it's members at the same time maintaining an environment and culture that spells out safe and fun flying.

At the same time you need to vote. This is something I am very passionate about, we have choices as members, we can nominate and try and make a difference (not for everyone), we can vote for a candidate that we think may act in the best interests of the members and the organization or we can sit and accept what comes our way. But if you do not vote fir whomever you think may do that job for you, then please do not complain. You have the chance to have your say by voting, so I say have it.

Cheers Lorraine

Frank, that's not something a Candidate has. Maybe when she's elected and sees the figures.

I bought the 2009 and 2010 Annual Reports from the ACT Department of Justice, but have been reluctant just to splash our laundry out in public, because it will inevitably change some of the players without us interfering.

I could summarise it by saying a mistake of over a quarter of a million dollars was made by the board members, the Public Officer and the Auditors in 2009. Hard to believe that they would all miss the fact that the surplus had nearly doubled in one year.

This error was reported in the following year and they reported that "There has been no effect on the closing retained earnings as at 30 June 2010."

So that was the end of that. You may have read a different story to that, but that's the quote directly from the Report.

The surplus/deficit situation from the reports available to us is:

2008 Surplus $247,806.00

2009 Surplus $200,151.00 (as revised in the 2010 Annual report)

2010 Surplus $64,772.00

2011 Est. Deficit $78,689.00 (details supplied following Natfly)

As a member I remain very concerned about the potential to eat away our assets very quickly, but this is really a matter for the next group of board members to get on top of and fix.

From the figures I've seen, some new procedures, systems and controls will take care of that . We really can't interfere as members unless this slide continues to a really serious point.

Frank you'll be assured that the assets as at the 2010 report were well above what you expected and don't appear to be at any risk other than the chipping away which hopefully the new board members will stop fast. (and not by putting up my subscription)

Frank, that's not something a Candidate has.

Yes, I thought that was the case and I apologise if I`ve caused any embarrassment!!!

Frank.

3 Posts? I must have mucked up.........or something!006_laugh.gif.0f7b82c13a0ec29502c5fb56c616f069.gifprop.gif.61637aee349faef03caaa77c2d86cf41.gif

The system error posts have been removed - Mod.

The costs of running the organization should almost be proportionate to the number of members. If RAA was in the black with x number of members per number of staff required to administer it,then if the member base goes up the staff can proportionately. The organization should remain in the black. When operating costs increase, such as for wages increase etc, then fees may have to increase to sustain the organization.

It is concerning that the member numbers have increased, and yet we have not managed to budget such that we could at least break even. Mmmmmmm

Lorraine

The organization should remain in the black. When operating costs increase, such as for wages increase etc, then fees may have to increase to sustain the organization.It is concerning that the member numbers have increased, and yet we have not managed to budget such that we could at least break even. Mmmmmmm

Lorraine

It is a fact that the membership has increased and continues to increase!... It is a fact that the membership fee has increased and I suspect will continue to increase!!!

If the RAA can`t do better than break even, then I would sugest that it needs better management!!!

Frank.

• Like 1

The new candidates would only have the same access to financial details as the rest of the members. It would be interesting to see this question posed to the sitting board members on the Questions thread, because they've been very quiet.

Guest turnbase

Don I can certainly agree that it seems that the current situation has reveal a complete lack of Financial control, ie: budget. If we had more transparency within the organization then we, the members could act accordingly. If and only if we required to bolster the coffers to meet the growing needs for more Ops. support personal etc. then I'm sure the masses would oblige. The problem that I am very concerned about is the complete disregard to the constitution in regards to financial control, BUDGET. so it's the blind leading the blind.

Please take note all candidates, you can see by the posts on this forum alone that the cat is out of the bag and now we want answers. :DirtDOG:

Please take note all candidates, you can see by the posts on this forum alone that the cat is out of the bag and now we want answers. :DirtDOG:

I think they saw them a while back turnbase it's become very quiet lately.

Guest davidh10
They'd be in big trouble with the ACT Department of Justice if they approved the Annual Report without knowing what's in it.

If the ACT DoJ is anything like the Victorian equivalent, they wouldn't even know their own legislation.

Without any specifics... A club sent in their inaugural AGM minutes, annual report and treasurers report with the required fee to meet the required timeframe after the AGM. It was stamped as received, by the department, and sent back, with the cheque, saying they could not accept it... wait until 18 months has elapsed. The secretary phoned to enquire and was told that their systems would not accept the return so soon after incorporation. Six months later they wrote to the secretary claiming it was late. They were resent the paperwork they had previously stamped as received, and rejected!

On that basis, I wouldn't count on DoJ finding anything amiss even if the figures obviously don't add up.