Travel tyre pump

jetjr

Having just landed with flat nose wheel in my Jabiru and subsequent spat damage (lucky that was it)

I had the pleasure of installing new tube - all went OK until came to reinflating - for such a small tyre its alot of work. Im using the nice pump from Ians store but still wore out my arms and that of another person before it was up properly, recoil on the pump isnt working very well anymore.

What are the real dangers carrying the CO2 type with small bottles?

Practically zero I would suggest. If you were burning they would eventually fail and help reduce the intensity of the fire.

My son has a really good handpump that I am using( rather than the electric thingo that runs off the battery) which is quite light. Most of the effort going into pumping tyres up is getting the ingoing air past the valve. A good connector lifts the valve open and makes the job easier. This might be worth looking into. Nev

Try a bicycle shop. They are practical and into light weight gear, but just remember they do low volume & high pressure (tiny tyre at 90-120 psi), while a Jab tyre is higher volume and low pressure (about 35 psi). They also charge aviation prices. I'd look for a light hand pump with a foot strap (the bend over style), widest bore you can find.

dodo

Last month I purchased a Repco branded hand pump from the bicycle section of Big W for about $20. It is made of plastic, but in the uses so far on bikes and around the farm, has performed well, and has the bonus of only weighing 470 grams. No battery required. Armstrong powered!!

It aint no Rega air pump, which at least had some metal incorporated and was made in Australia, but it might fit the bill.

Somebody had a Rega pump for sale on Ebay last month, complete with the original cardboard packaging, and it sold for $19.99, yet the postage was going to set the purchaser another $17.

Having just landed with flat nose wheel in my Jabiru and subsequent spat damage (lucky that was it)I had the pleasure of installing new tube - all went OK until came to reinflating - for such a small tyre its alot of work. Im using the nice pump from Ians store but still wore out my arms and that of another person before it was up properly, recoil on the pump isnt working very well anymore.

What are the real dangers carrying the CO2 type with small bottles?

The pressurized aerosol can type inflators are the way to go for travelling around. They're instant, and seal the leak at the same time, so you can fly on to destination. When you get to a convenient place to do a proper service, throw the tube away. I always carry a spare tube cause you can't always find those sizes when you want.

JG

have used co2 many times during my crazy enduro days..........worked a treat. Carried that into my aviation experience, needed it once only. What did cause me grief was being unable to break the damn tyre bead off the rim.........was a real problem. Made up a bead breaker since, worked well trialling it ( testing in workshop ) some folks swear by that liguid tyre proof stuff.......blocks off holes when one occurs.

2nd problem is raising your "main" if you are out alone...........if that's the one that deflates. ( try the exercise )

Russ said;

2nd problem is raising your "main" if you are out alone...........if that's the one that deflates. ( try the exercise )

I had to think this one through before a trip out west and after failing to find any sort of lightweight practical jack, decided to take a small but solid gardening hand trowel to dig a hole under the tyre. Place a wheel chock under the axle point to hold it up. So rather than lifting the plane, I lower the ground! At least that's the idea. I haven't had to use it yet.

How would you get it back off your wheel chock "stand"?

Good question. A skyhook would be handy - but with a fully inflated tyre it shouldn't be too hard to dig the chock out so the weight rests back on the wheel. Dig a ramp at the forward edge and push or taxi out. Hopefully the ground will be diggable. Might not be as easy as it looks but could get you out of trouble if alone and no phone.

Thats exactly the one I have I got from you - still bloody hard work, and after a few tyres the strap doesnt retract very well - something like 500+ odd pulls to get the tyre anywhere near usable - maybe theres something wrong with it?

Like many others, this is made for low volume high pressure applications

I remember seeing a large inflatable bag which is used to raise four wheel drive vehicles by attaching it via a tube to the vehicles exhaust pipe. Perhaps someone out there can develop a similar system by using the aircraft exhaust to inflate the tyre??????

Alan.

Thats exactly the one I have I got from you - still bloody hard work, and after a few tyres the strap doesnt retract very well - something like 500+ odd pulls to get the tyre anywhere near usable - maybe theres something wrong with it?Like many others, this is made for low volume high pressure applications

Jetjr,

I too bought one of those pumps and have to agree. It is pretty well useless for aircraft tyres. Bought a $10 pump from local SuperCheap type auto store that works like a charm and is not too heavy. Is a little bulky though. It is the old fashioned 2 foot long metal tube with fold out lugs at the bottom to stand on and a T handle at the top to pump with. Have used it several times when fixing a flat tyre and it works like a charm. Pops tyre bead back onto the rim and inflates tyre to 45psi in only a minute or two. A good quality auto foot pump is also good, although usually a bit heavier. Avoid the cheap $10 ones, they only seem to last a few uses before falling to bits.

(Sorry Ian, never got around to letting you know about your pump.)

Cheers,

Bruce

No problems...the feedback is great to let me know about any product that is in the Clear Prop Shop...I won't stock them any more...thanks for letting me know

Maybe tyre Slime is the go.But as aircraft wheels are so small in diameter , maybe not.May be worth checking out.I had a puncture in a BF Goodrich A/T tyre which was nearly new. I filled it with one of those aerosole cans. Finny leak or something like that.Anyway its only supposed to be used as a temporary fix as in, get home and then get a plug if tubeless which it was or fix the tube.. Bugger that, I drove on it for years.Never went flat.Word of warning though , if you use a aerosole type can.You have to get going, i mean take off.If you put it in and the aircraft sits idle.The stuff will sit in the bottom of the tyre.Then it will put the wheel WAY out of balance.You have to get the wheel spinning so it evenly coats inside the tyre. I knew dirt bike riders who have used the aerosole can quick fix, on tubed tyres.It works apparently, i have never used it on a Bike.

There was a bloke killed on a road bike using it, he didnt ride off quick enough the wheel was so out of balance that he crashed.(Just found that on the net).

There was a bloke killed on a road bike using it, he didnt ride off quick enough the wheel was so out of balance that he crashed.(Just found that on the net).

This would seem a major issue in aircraft whose tyres spend very little time turning, also accellerate from zero to 100kmh instanly upon landing.

This would seem a major issue in aircraft whose tyres spend very little time turning, also accellerate from zero to 100kmh instanly upon landing.

I agree mate, that is why I said that maybe no go with small diameter tyres.Maybe worth checking out. With slime, it appears that you put it in, then maybe do some circuits.Even fast taxi's.AC tyres being so small they rotate fairly fast.Apparently after the stuff sticks to the outside of the tube.It dries to a point where it is a sticky substance.It doesnt move from that point.I have never used slime myself just did a bit a research on the net.Apparently you add ex amount of fluid depending on the size of the tyre.You could be exactly right mate, maybe it wont work as you have mentioned as the tyres are stationary alot.002_wave.gif.62d5c7a07e46b2ae47f4cd2e61a0c301.gif

Try a bicycle shop. They are practical and into light weight gear, but just remember they do low volume & high pressure (tiny tyre at 90-120 psi), while a Jab tyre is higher volume and low pressure (about 35 psi). They also charge aviation prices. I'd look for a light hand pump with a foot strap (the bend over style), widest bore you can find.dodo

I can recomend the Topeak Road Morph. I use this for aircraft tires.