MICROPHONE WIND NOISE IN OPEN COCKPIT AIRCRAFT

skyfox1

Hi all could l have some input in trying to stop wind noise in my intercom l have foam covers on the mics l have tried old plastic film covers over the mics, does any one have a tried and tested solution

for this problem.

cheers Geoff..056_headset.gif.8e2503279a37389023f4d903d46b667a.gif

That's why the replays of "The Air Adventures of Biggles" sound so scratchy.

At one stage I was given a throat mic to wear - two little rubber pads, one on each side of the larynx. Didn't pick up wind noise or the loud engine noise.

Guest davidh10

Depends on the helmet. Mine has a face shield that suffices but there's also helmets that have soft rubber wind dams that flip down under your chin and keep the wind out.

Actually not so bad in the front seat of the trike with a tall windscreen (more critical in the back seat), but in a Drifter the screen is smaller and further in front, so you get more wind, especially if you side slip.

The type of microphone also has a lot to add to the solution. If it is very directoinal, you have to aim it at your mouth otherwise you don't get much audio. Mine just sits against my bottom lip.

Adjust the VOX so ambient wind does not break the mute until you actually speak.

Constant and the same problem here Geoff, I tried putting tape on one side of mic, no help, thicker foam, no help, haven't used a wind dam or larger visor (though was just shopping the net last night for something suitable, except I like the taste of bugs so am reticent) had some success with just ducking low behind the wind shield...

I have a Fisher Mk1 and had the same problem, being 6"2' dosent help, i tried ducking out of the air flow enough to make clear transmissions, now i am in a colder area, i have installed a clear canopy that goes over my head and it works a treat, no wind noise at all.

Patrick was it just a case of ordering one and installing or does Wayne need to to do other mods/testing etc ?

Guest Andys@coffs

I got around the issue in my trike by adding a switch in line for the mic, in the ear shell. When Im in or around the circuit its on and mic's on line, when going cross country its off. I have active noise reduction technology added to the headsets and I found that a noisy mic completely wasted the effort..... nothing beats taking the mic out of circuit to remove wind noise

Andy

Think a motorbike type intercom set-up might be the go. I've only used radio or intercom with a helmet and visor (down). in an open cockpit. ( except in the tiger where I used Gosport tubes. (no radio.) Nev

...does any one have a tried and tested solution for this problem. cheers Geoff..056_headset.gif.8e2503279a37389023f4d903d46b667a.gif

Geoff, I use a cover over my mic foam to defeat the wind noise ... but the cover is from an unusual source - leather riggers gloves. I cut the thumb off the glove and punched a few small holes in one face. The holes face my mouth, and any remaining wind noise is cancelled by the ANR mic. Using a new set of gloves ensures that the leather is quite soft. A very small cable tie around the mic stem keeps the cover secure. The mic is adjusted to be just touching my lips - works a treat for me. Let me know if you wish to view a photo.

Peter

I had the same pesky wind noise problem in the Thruster last Sunday - it was driving me nuts until I had the brain wave to turn off the intercom. Voila!!! No noise but still had perfect radio reception - well at least from my end anyway:big_grin: The intercom I have is the mini one from the forum shop here and works perfectly as an intercom, then patches you straight through to radio when you turn it off.

Works for me when I'm on my own at least

Pud

I had the same pesky wind noise problem in the Thruster last Sunday - it was driving me nuts until I had the brain wave to turn off the intercom. Voila!!! No noise but still had perfect radio reception - well at least from my end anyway:big_grin: The intercom I have is the mini one from the forum shop here and works perfectly as an intercom, then patches you straight through to radio when you turn it off.Works for me when I'm on my own at least

Pud

Hey Pud, does your intercom have a squelch control on it? Mine does and I find I have to adjust it depending on whether the doors and/or window are open or not.

• Like 1

Hey Pud, does your intercom have a squelch control on it? Mine does and I find I have to adjust it depending on whether the doors and/or window are open or not.

Yes 'sidetone' too 012_thumb_up.gif.cb3bc51429685855e5e23c55d661406e.gif

Yes it does have squelch control but I find it of not much use, seeing as how I don't have windows or doors!!!

Pud

Yes it does have squelch control but I find it of not much use, seeing as how I don't have windows or doors!!!Pud

Ooh Kay,,, let me put it this way... I used to get lots of wind noise through my intercom, right up until a local young fellah who understands these things, showed me how to adjust the intercom squelsh properly. augie.gif.8d680d8e3ee1cb0d5cda5fa6ccce3b35.gif I'm not saying it's your problem, but it was mine.

Keep the sunny side up,

Wayne.

Guest davidh10

An open face helmet, with integrated headset, I' used during training has a leather cover over the foam cover. The leather cover has just one tiny hole at the face of the microphone and you have to have it touching your lip. The microphone also has to be oriented to face your lip squarely (it is directional). That works well. Not a cheap helmet.

Ooh Kay,,, let me put it this way... I used to get lots of wind noise through my intercom, right up until a local young fellah who understands these things, showed me how to adjust the intercom squelsh properly. augie.gif.8d680d8e3ee1cb0d5cda5fa6ccce3b35.gif I'm not saying it's your problem, but it was mine.Keep the sunny side up,

Wayne.

Hmmm, maybe I need to play with the squelch some more..... probably is my problem seeing as how I'm a bit 'hamfisted' when it comes to adjusting things.

Pud