Video: Carbon Cub STOL takeoff - Or does it count as VTOL?

HeadInTheClouds

Depends on the headwind. This aircraft would probably stall with full power on at 25 Knots. It doesn't take much wind to enable a take-off and land without ANY forward movement, which looks spectacular but doesn't prove much. If the donk quits you are not in a good position any time you have a high nose attitude and no height and little airspeed. I have been asked to do this sort of thing many times and I have had enough brains at the time to resist the show-off urge, so far and I think it gets easier, as time goes on.. Nev

• Like 4

Depends on the headwind. This aircraft would probably stall with full power on at 25 Knots. It doesn't take much wind to enable a take-off and land without ANY forward movement, which looks spectacular but doesn't prove much. If the donk quits you are not in a good position any time you have a high nose attitude and no height and little airspeed. I have been asked to do this sort of thing many times and I have had enough brains at the time to resist the show-off urge, so far and I think it gets easier, as time goes on.. Nev

Nev, my sentiments completely, there is a time and a place for everything but never for showing off! 017_happy_dance.gif.8a199466e9bd67cc25ecc8b442db76ba.gif

I'm obviously not the only one who wondered what would happen if the noise stopped - wouldn't be good I don't think.

Pud

Yeh, you could hear the wind rumbling in the microphone.

JG

I would feel very uncomfortabe about doing a near-vertical take-off for the same reasons already given: what if the front fan stops? As far as I can see, there would be very few options at such a low height. Are some of us being too sensible?

I would feel very uncomfortabe about doing a near-vertical take-off for the same reasons already given: what if the front fan stops? As far as I can see, there would be very few options at such a low height. Are some of us being too sensible?

I've had a lift-off just about as short as that in my Savannah, when it was young and light, and there was a freezing cold, howling SW gale blowing, like i think there was in the video. (It used to blow like that here sometimes in August, before the climate changed...) An observer reckoned the wheels only made one revolution on the ground. (No videos in phones in those days, so no evidence...) But I didn't haul it up at very low speed just hanging on the prop like that guy did. Just as soon as the wheels lifted, I put the nose down and held it in close ground effect, and built up airspeed rapidly then hauled back and zoomed up real steep, with momentum enough to nose over into a safe glide if the engine coughed. (I have horrors imagining the fuel in the float bowls when at that very steep climb attitude at full power.....) Still able to clear an obstacle just about as high as would have by clawing up there hanging on the prop, but much safer. In a real bush situation there's also a real risk of getting behind the power curve while trying to climb over an obstacle with a slow, prop-hanging climb like that, and losing climb angle and settling into the trees.....

That's a 'hot rod' aircraft, like a dragster, probably stripped of all weight, and you could hear the very fine pitch prop crackling even with that load, so it would over-rev straight and level.... Great for show-off and that's just what it is, but really good show-off, eh!

JG

• Like 2

Hi JG, they are a hod rod alright. Around 415Kg empty, 180 HP . The Club Crafters Carbon Cub holds ( or did /probably still does). the record in the STOL competition held in Valdez Alaska for the shortest T/O distance in Standard Production class dsistance was 19 Feet.Pilot Paul Claus.002_wave.gif.62d5c7a07e46b2ae47f4cd2e61a0c301.gif

• 3 months later...
IF I had a working link, I might find this topic interesting. How come I can open anything.[medio=full]107[/medio]not working.

I have exactly the same problem. Perhaps this worked initially and has now stopped working??