Birdstrike !!!!

Guest Maj Millard

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest davidh10
...I found in thrusters/drifters they are likely to attack you (at certain times of the year, breeding),..

Yep. Don't fly under them or they will dive on you. I've had to climb over them or divert around them a few times.

I always thought a birdstrike would be serious, but until Darky's thread, I never really grasped just how serious.

I recently had a Cockatoo birdstrike in the 4WD, square in the middle of the windscreen at highway speed. As the windscreen already had a few chips that had weakened it a bit, it instantly developed several large cracks radiating from the stone chips. Must be like a magnet as I hit another a week later and any prospect of deferring windscreen replacement completely vanished. I have to say the car laminated screen is much stronger than the one on my trike.

Guest Maj Millard

Did the run back from Starke Field again Sunday morning. Again saw a pair of wedges at 2000' in the same area, I just kept an eye on them and passed by and they stayed where they were. They were aware of me I feel. Also on final into Monpelier had to navigate around a few Kite hawks and those I watch even closer than wedges. My big fear of course is taking a bird into the prop which certainly would be character building.........................................................................Maj...024_cool.gif.7a88a3168ebd868f5549631161e2b369.gif

Wedge Tails get BIG, I watched a doco, last night on Big Red kangaroos. They had a family on wedge tail eagles on the show as well. 8 foot wing span.A eagle swooped down and killed a little kangaroo. Very powerful birds.

Geez Dazz, you're not saying you flew into a Roo are you?

Nah, LOL.I mean I knew wedgies where big, but the way this bird swooped down, killed this kangaroo, a little bit bigger than the eagle.Then, with out a worry in the world.Took off with the kangaroo, then flew to its nest I reckon the kangaroo was a fair bit heavier than the eagle ( greater than one to one power to weight ratio Gotta love that).It was hunting to feed its baby wedgies. Ps- I have said it, because im not sure whether the eagle was the female or the male.

Sure does mate, i think they would rip a person to pieces in no time flat.

I've only had a plover try to swoop me in the Aerochute because I flew too close to it's nesting site - I was at about 50ft. Hate to think what damage a wedgie could do!

(Makes mental note: NEVER annoy a wedge tail eagle! 075_amazon.gif.0882093f126abdba732f442cccc04585.gif)

Having been clobbered by a few items at high sped on my motorcycle, I have learned the value of Lexan (polycarbonate). My thin helmet visor once bent in enough to flatten my nose (without causing a bleed) after being hit by a large pebble at over 130km/h. No damage or injury. I would not trust a perspex windscreen to a bird strike unless it was quite thick.

• Like 1

Absolutely Old Koreelah.

When I got slammed in the head with a Galah, it was the high quality lexan visor and helmet that saved the day and I am certain my life. I was able to absorb the hit and keep the bike upright. 130k was my speed and a Galah hit like a sledge hammer and it smeared pink feather oil all over the visor. I was able to lift the visor and see.

The visor did not flex enough to hit me and did not shatter like perspex. A cheap helmet and visor would most likely have been fatal and the reason lost in the subsequent crash. My helmet performed exactly as it should for the close to $1000 in 1990. These days they are cheaper for topline safety but you still get what you pay for.

Been able to absorb a bird strike should be the focus when deciding on replacement screens and canopies. It need not incur a big weight penalty dependant on the design.

If the design does not allow such safety luxuries then wear a high quality helmet and visor.

• Like 1

I got hit in the face with a dragonfly on the bike a while back. Wasn't wearing a visor at the time either... I actually thought it was a rock or something it hurt that much. But discovered remains of a draggy on me later!

Can't remember the speed I was doing, but it would have been around the dollar mark.

Tomo even small stuff can take a big toll at speed.

I have had many encounters with nature on a bike and once had a Wasp or Hornet? Hells angel anyway, get forced into my open chest (jacket part open) and sting me 5 times as it was forced down my arm by airflow. I was able to squash the assassin at my elbow.

The pain was incredible and very distracting. The absolute last thing you want when riding or flying.

Mother Nature has made numerous attempts on my life, fortunately so far she has failed to Darwinate me.

On my track record, it is much safer in the air than on ground when it comes to Mother Natures creatures.

I am yet to see a actual flying Kangaroo but have actually hit one on a roadbike- low speed fortunately.

I have a very healthy respect for all of natures creatures and the consequences of their appearance.

Remember it is survival of the fittest

Darwination is a real possibility.

Even Rain stings, when it hits bare skin at 100Kph.Hits my neck under my helmet on my motor bike.I ride one handed and put my left gloved hand in front of my neck , to deflect to rain drops. I hit a roo similar to LS, story.I had slowed down to about 30KPH by the time he got to me, he came in at a 45 degree angle, straight for me, heading same direction.No worries i kicked him with my size 10 Motocross boot, and sent him off in another direction. 041_helmet.gif.78baac70954ea905d688a02676ee110c.gif

I heard a reliable story of a high speed bike fatality a number of years ago. The biker was found dead on the side of the road with no apparent collision causing the crash. The rider had been witnessed travelling at high speed earlier in the day along the same quiet stretch of country road. The rider had a helmet on but did not have his visor down. When the authorities removed his helmet, they found that something had entered his eye and exited at the back of his head. The remains of what appeared to be a dragon fly were found at the back of his helmet. Never forget that kinetic energy is a function of speed squared!

Bluey

I am yet to see a actual flying Kangaroo but have actually hit one on a roadbike- low speed fortunately.

I haven't seen any for the last 48 hours but I believe you'll see Flying Kangaroos again from this afternoon sometime.

• Like 1

EK. you'll get wedgetails that high. I just missed one at 8500 near Parkes some years ago .( I suspect they are almost asleep,) and have seen a great number at lower levels lately. Migratory birds fly above the height of Everest (27,000 ft). Over the years I have seen the results of collisions with aircraft and have had quite a few birdstrikes myself. I believe the majority of birdstrikes (above a sparrow) would bring a U/L down if it hit any critical area, and would come through the window and injure any pilot badly,who could not duck down to avoid it. ( Unintended pun there.).

This is one of the reasons I am not a great fan of fast U/L's.

Commercial jets with cracks in cockpit windows have a speed restriction below 10,000'.

One of the good reasons to fly is to get there quickly, but hitting a bird won't make your day a good one, if you are going fast.

( A flake of paint will kill a spacewalker in orbit if it collides with him/her. ) velocity is the thing that provides the energy. Nev

I believe the majority of birdstrikes (above a sparrow) would bring a U/L down if it hit any critical area, and would come through the window and injure any pilot badly,who could not duck down to avoid it. ( Unintended pun there.).This is one of the reasons I am not a great fan of fast U/L's.

velocity is the thing that provides the energy. Nev

That brings up an interesting question, namely how thick are the lexan windscreens of 'enclosed cockpit' light aircraft, e.g. Foxbat, Zeniths, Jabirus or Savannahs?

Even more important, how good are they in the event of a bird strike?

As such we should wear a quality helmet and visor. And I mean a proper helmet not the joke cheap aviation ones, besides keeping your brain warm- all they do is add weight to your head.

I value my life and pay for a helmet to protect it.

As such we should wear a quality helmet and visor. And I mean a proper helmet not the joke cheap aviation ones, besides keeping your brain warm- all they do is add weight to your head.I value my life and pay for a helmet to protect it.

A helmet ....even inside a cockpit????

A helmet ....even inside a cockpit????

My fertilizer spreading pilot always flies with a helmet, always makes me feel a little bit exposed when I go for a survey run with him. An ordinary headset just doesn't feel as safe as Phil looks in his helmet.

That brings up an interesting question, namely how thick are the lexan windscreens of 'enclosed cockpit' light aircraft, e.g. Foxbat, Zeniths, Jabirus or Savannahs?

Now here's an interesting comparison to think about. Would it be fair to say that your average high wing has a more 'upright' windscreen than a bubble canopy low wing? Question is, would the additional slope on the bubble tend to deflect the bird rather than stop it dead (so to speak), and thus lessen the breaking force?