First solo flight (in Jabiru 170)

Guest Lloydster

Guest Lloydster

I was convinced that this day would never come, and I am now intolerably smug!! 016_ecstatic.gif.156a811a440b493b0c2bea54e43be5cc.gif

Hoping not to wake up on 1 January (SA time) and find that I dreamt it!

Anyway, it was a fantastic way to end 2011, and I just wanted to share. bounce.gif.3516b5f7197d1d6889168640af67e2f6.gif

Happy New Year to all!

Fly safe.

Lloyd.

Did this occur at Gawler, 3 circuits? If so: Congrats!!! And you should probably buy a plane to share with Graham so you both can fly it to Moruya and let some of us Moruya peeps fly your plane, just sayin... augie.gif.8d680d8e3ee1cb0d5cda5fa6ccce3b35.gifIf not: Congrats anyway!!! 012_thumb_up.gif.cb3bc51429685855e5e23c55d661406e.gif

Graham who? someone looking to share at Gawler??

Congratulations on your "Solo" Lloyd :ecstatic:What a way to end and start the year 017_happy_dance.gif.8a199466e9bd67cc25ecc8b442db76ba.gif

Nice strip Gawler.................Flew there in a C172 with FlyGirlTam for a AWPA Chapter meet at Mark M hangar

Enjoy your licence to learn..................Fly and Keep safe for 2012......................Alley

• Like 1

Guest Lloydster

Wow, what a response!!!

Thanks so much everyone!

I will come back with a proper reply at a more respectable hour.

Cheers,

Lloyd.

Guest Lloydster

Thanks again everyone!

I flew again on Wednesday, and if anything, was more nervous than the first time! All went well though.

I should mention that it took me 45 hours to get to solo standard, so I'm probably a bit of a "slow learner". blink.gif.7ee21b69ed31ab2b1903acc52ec4cc3f.gif

Anyway, onwards and upwards (in a very real sense I suppose). I fly again tomorrow (if it doesn't pour with rain). 080_plane.gif.36548049f8f1bc4c332462aa4f981ffb.gif

Catch ya,

Lloyd.

Guest Lloydster

Much too windy to fly at YGAW this morning. Let's see how we go next week. 002_wave.gif.62d5c7a07e46b2ae47f4cd2e61a0c301.gif

(Jeez, there are a lot of smilies to choose from!)

Guest Lloydster
too bad about the weather, but if you will try to fly 3 times in one week!bad_mood.gif.04f799b8c2da677a1c244b54433f2aa7.gif

Yeah, it will be good when you can get back into it again!

Guest Lloydster

Hello everyone!! Now THAT was a great day for flying. 1.1 hours on my own, gradually tidying up my circuits. You really do learn a lot when you have to work it all out for yourself! (And there's the bonus of not having 80 Kilos of ballast on board with you.006_laugh.gif.0f7b82c13a0ec29502c5fb56c616f069.gif) Jeez, I hope my instructor isn't reading this!

well done loydster just started my circuits at archerfield my cpi is very patient(i am a late starter to flying ) just got to stop ballooning at landings got the take off so much to remember any way keep flying g

cheers Gareth

• Like 1

Guest Lloydster

Hi Gareth.

Yeah, ballooning landings in the Jabiru is my biggest issue too. Sometimes you think you've nailed it, you're coming back really smoothly on the stick and it's losing the last few feet of height really nicely. You come back more quickly as the elevator loses authority (or so you think) then at the last second it decides "that's enough extra elevator for me to jump up in the air again"! I can only say that I'm very gradually coming to grips with it, by doing lots of "ballooned landings" (not deliberately, of course!) and trying to understand how it felt, and what I did just before it ballooned. If it balloons too high, and I'm not happy with my airspeed, I immediately go around. I just don't think it's worth the risk of "nosing it in". And of course, every day is different, so it seems that there's a lot of "feel" involved. Some days (maybe due to some wind shear) it feels like it just "drops from under you"! I'm sure there are people on this site (and of course, your instructor) who know a lot more about this stuff than me. So I'd listen to them rather than me! 025_blush.gif.9304aaf8465a2b6ab5171f41c5565775.gif

Safe flying,

Lloyd.

Hi Gareth.Yeah, ballooning landings in the Jabiru is my biggest issue too. Sometimes you think you've nailed it, you're coming back really smoothly on the stick and it's losing the last few feet of height really nicely. You come back more quickly as the elevator loses authority (or so you think) then at the last second it decides "that's enough extra elevator for me to jump up in the air again"! I can only say that I'm very gradually coming to grips with it, by doing lots of "ballooned landings" (not deliberately, of course!) and trying to understand how it felt, and what I did just before it ballooned. If it balloons too high, and I'm not happy with my airspeed, I immediately go around. I just don't think it's worth the risk of "nosing it in". And of course, every day is different, so it seems that there's a lot of "feel" involved. Some days (maybe due to some wind shear) it feels like it just "drops from under you"! I'm sure there are people on this site (and of course, your instructor) who know a lot more about this stuff than me. So I'd listen to them rather than me! 025_blush.gif.9304aaf8465a2b6ab5171f41c5565775.gif

Safe flying,

Lloyd.

Same sort of thing happened with me... On my first solo in the Foxbat it was great, pulled off a really nice landing too. Second solo however the landings were not the best. Ballooning wasn't really the problem but I think from watching the video I recorded the issue was holding off too high, possibly due to overthinking it. It's a bit annoying to come in for a nice smooth approach, be tracking right down the centreline only to then land quite firmly or even bounce a little...

Guest Lloydster

Hey there Jake. Yep, holding off a bit too high is my other trick at the moment!

I actually love Gazelles! If it wasn't for Graham "Octave" flying me in a Gazelle on and off over the last four years, often saying "you should try this", I would never have had my TIF at YGAW and become addicted to flying!

Roger on the "add a few hundred RPM" J17o Owner. I've tried it a couple of times, and it's pretty clear to me that I'm not doing it right! Perhaps we should have a bit of a chat next Sat'dy?

kthxbai.