Grounded

Jabiru Phil

Raaus letter to inform me that an audit on my 4 years old LSA aircrat revealed that the special certificate of airworthy authority was not in my file.

Further is stated that I am not allowd to fly the plane until said documentation is supplied AND acknowledged in writing as being acceptable.

I spoke to the manufacturer who registered the plane to find out just what is going on. I was told that the above was not deemed a necessary document back then, however CASA now requires same.

I have no beef against this ruling just that a letter out of the blue grounding me seems a bit harsh.

I had intended to fly away this weekend but have not yet recieved the written confirmation by email as promised early today.

Any body else had this experience?

Phil.

These things do happen, ( and worse I won't bother you with). New brooms come in sometimes and the paprework gets activated. The personal approach may produce results, but without the paper being right. "As the sign on the dunny door says. The job's not finished till the paperworks done." Nev

My CFI has the same issue. Grounded until a compliance certificate is provided and acknowledged. Given its a 24 aircraft used for flight training for over 4 years it seems a bit draconian.

Isn`t category 24, experimental?

Frank.

..... however CASA now requires same.

you might find that the CASA requirement hasn't changed and so no-one would have the authority to let you fly without a CofA. i.e. it would not be a transition to a new requirement where you would be given time to comply.Reminds me of the somewhat similar situation when some model Airtourers did not have Australian Type Certificates for a few years except that CASA seemed ok it.

It's up on the RAA site as well. After an audit they have discovered some files without the right documents. This is also referred to in the latter part of the Old Bar thread. Hope it gets fixed quick. We had planned a big day Tuesday for some revision, solo time and a solo navex. Bugger. It's my last oppoortunity for quite a while to advance my training.

Guest cficare

the same sytle of letter was recieved by the owner of a recently delived, factory built a/c ...same threat..'aircaft not to be flown.."...the problem being lack of Weight and Balance info for a/c.....immediately scanned and sent....matter resolved in writing within 48 hours! RAA are capable of serving the members.

Guest Maj Millard

The RAA office did say that a CASA review would be conducted this month. Maybe we are also drawing some additional heat from the ferris wheel incident ??....................................................Maj...024_cool.gif.7a88a3168ebd868f5549631161e2b369.gif

Guest Maj Millard

Well Cfi, CASA does have a history of responding to obvious defects, and they will certainly take the opportunity to do so in this case. But remember this is an ATSB enquiry and CASA and ATSB aren't happy bedfellows....Frankly I'd hate to be in Steve Bells seat at the moment, even though I have been coventing it lately !..............................................................Maj...024_cool.gif.7a88a3168ebd868f5549631161e2b369.gif

Guest cficare

i cant see CASA doing much until ATSB issue the final report...thats when the govenance of the RAA Board will be called to question.

If I had to hazard a guess I think the new section of CASA that is looking at RAA, Antiquers and Experimental are moving into action. Most likely have informed RAA of an upcomming audit and correctly RAA are trying to get all the ducks in a row to avoid grief and heartache that follow CASA where ever they travel.

Amazing! Second biggest expenditure in most people's life, spend heaps getting rated pay the fees and they send lettters telling you that your grounded.

freaking amazing!! Value for money.

I got the old weight and balance letter - RAA wanted the manufacturers calculation

I scanned that, also the C of A for good measure - emailed to RAA ...................... waited < than a day - cleared to fly - good efficient service. Better your licensor saying something than ....................... nothing

No worries - its a mistake on some ones part - no big deal - I want that paperwork in order ....................... if say I had to validate a claim

Guest Maj Millard

Around 9500 members and a large number of aircraft always in a state of flux and change. Raaus isn't doing too bad really, there's always going to be a little untidyness for something that large, especially as we've also had personel changes in the office...............................................................Maj...024_cool.gif.7a88a3168ebd868f5549631161e2b369.gif

Ride the ripples guys, you can bet the RAA management are making sure their house is in order and anything lacking will be in their sights (and CASAs). Don't feel special CASA have been giving GA a touch up as well...Pilots, Maintainers etc. Basically CASA is spreading the cheer, rumour has it that they themselves failed on 19 counts in a recent audit that was done on them..063_coffee.gif.b574a6f834090bf3f27c51bb81b045cf.gif