RAA Membership $$$$

Guest aussie carl

Illegal hours if you have not paid your membership!!Pud

Not if i fly in the US under FAR 103 in a borrowed Lazair and that is now definatly on the cards for 2012.

BTW is it mandatory for a GA pilot to have insurance like we must?

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest aussie carl

Cool thanks fellas. Passed the Human Factors exam last week. Far ou that is the most boring uninteresting subject.

BAK and some solo hrs to go.

Human factors is NOT a most boring and unintersting subject at all it's just the (poor)way it has been presented. At this stage, not one of our best achievements. It's an area where true benefits in safety are possible, at a small cost. (relatively) Nev

Cool thanks fellas. Passed the Human Factors exam last week. Far ou that is the most boring uninteresting subject.BAK and some solo hrs to go.

Well done Carl. I passed my HF exam today....just. I've been putting it off until last knowing I would struggle with it. compress.gif.fe2f1703f181408c4947cc1d378facee.gif

I agree Nev, I found it fascinating, but its implementation is woeful. In my textbook there was pages and pages of stuff about how memory works, perception filters, SHELL models, arcane acronymns, large and complicated flow diagrams, quotes from psychological texts etc, but precious little to apply it to the cockpit. I was disappointed that the exam asked things like how long to wait after scuba diving before flying (important only for those who dive and fly), but nothing about collision avoidance for example (important for everyone who flies).

Membership fees have escalated for just about any organisation. Must be the fact that digital is faster, more efficient and uses less paper! Ha! Compared to many others, RAAus isn't too bad, and there is value in what you 'receive'.

My GA costs are considerable - my annual medicals run to around $400 pa when you add in stress ECG's, 5 year audio tests, and the ever more frequent eye tests. My Grade 1 IR renewal costs me $500 plus $300 travel every 2 years but then again, that's not much more than my SI/CFI renewal under RAAus - which is also every other year. (Why do I need both you may ask?) I'm also a 15 year member of SAAA,($170), 48 years of AOPA,($150), and 10 years of my local aero club. My ag. consultants association is $350 pa. It's never ending!

I do like the split membership idea. I think you should be able to opt out of the magazine - but if you do, don't complain about not being kept informed about RAAus matters. You can't have it both ways!

happy days,

• 3 weeks later...

I loved the human factors and Glad to see the OP has decided to stay, good choice.

Just to put our fees in perspective of other aviation related organisations:

GA - Well we've had breakdowns of the cost already in this thread, suffice to say heaps more

Australian Parachuting Federation: $204

SAAA: $185

Glider Federation of Australia: $237

I don't think we're that bad off with ours.

This post has certainly been an interesting read with many interesting comments. It would take something very drastic for me to give up flying. The cost of membership to RAA is reasonable and i think if the $$ increase is the only reason to quit flying then maybe your not getting enough fun out of it. I feel privleged to be able to fly, and you can't question my passion for it. Learning GA is just something i wouldn't do so if i can be a qualified pilot in 20 - 30 hours and for the fraction of the cost, it's all worth it. Not to mention the social aspects and the people i have met. I'm investing in a serious hobby that i wouldn't know what to do with myself if i quit. I find the more i put into flying the more i get back and what i get is more than worth the $185.

"scuba diving before flying" while not of relevance of those who don't dive or those who don't fly is a worthwhile precautionary example. The message is, what have you done recently that "might" impact on your physical and mental ability to fly, like given blood, smoked dope, lacquered your wardrobe, had a brawl with the missus, been sacked, met a politician, etc.

Steve, which book were you using?

Col:sad angel:

You dont actually get anything for your $185 apart to from the magazine which is probably worth $120 based on what is on the shelf at most newsagents.

Not sure what your experience has been FT, but I paid CASA $160 for a permit to take my dog with me in my GA aircraft. It costs me a couple of hundred for my medical every second year and I pay $2 per litre or more for avgas at 34 litres per hour. My annual maintenance costs $1500 plus and I pay membership to AOPA, SAAA, my flying club and the RAAus.

I guess I must just like being involved...

kaz

Guest Andys@coffs

Dazza

I suspect it was a measure to spread the cost of RAA around, perhaps it was thought that aircraft owners could afford a larger chunk of the cost than just pilots.....Bottom line is that recreational flyers have to pay for RAA somehow. If there was no rego costs then the membership costs would be higher.... I guess GA has the benefit that the largest users are teh RPT's and Im sure that teh majority of costs in CASA land come from them.....just as Im sure that RPT management will be trying to make GA pay their fair share..or perhaps even more than there fair share. They have the disadvantage that GA feeds them so probably need to be careful as to any flow on effects of what they do.....RPT's have no such symbiotic relationship with RAA and Im sure they see us as an embuggerance to be got rid of as politically andexpiently as possible

Why do RAAus aircraft have Registration renewals annually with a fee - eg-$130 per year for a two seater aircraft. When VH registered aircraft do not pay a annual rego fee?

Very good point Dazza. I have often wondered that myself. Once an aircraft is registered VH there is nothing more to pay until change of ownership etc. What do RAA actually do with respect to any registration paperwork. They certainly don't up date the register once payment is received!

Cheers

Very good point Dazza. I have often wondered that myself. Once an aircraft is registered VH there is nothing more to pay until change of ownership etc. What do RAA actually do with respect to any registration paperwork. They certainly don't up date the register once payment is received!Cheers

Except GA aircraft need an annual, well... once a year I guess! 022_wink.gif.2137519eeebfc3acb3315da062b6b1c1.gif

Work is done for the annual, so it's not a fee as such. Every time CASA processes any document for you it is about 80 dollars. If you use controlled airspace you are billed. A fuel excise funds GA. ( on avtur and avgas).

You don't just get a magazine for your RAA dollars. FT. You can find out what else is done for your fees as well as I can list them and it has been done plenty of times..

I can't see what the bitch is really here. If you can hold the fees at near the present level you will be doing well. ( In real dollars).

You have a committee of management you elect who work for you for no remuneration whatsoever. They receive travel and moderate accommodation costs. ( don't hold their meetings at a Carribean Resort either).. Nev

I have an annual done on my experimental registered aircraft every year. This is carried out by a LAME. A new Maintenance release is placed in the flight manual. This allows the aircraft to fly again for another 12 months or 100 hours which ever comes first and subject to any other conditions that may be required e.g. daily preflight. A copy may go to CASA but I don't pay a fee to the LAME for it if it does. Provided the maintenance release is all in order then there should be no problem (aircraft wise) if a CASA ramp inspection was to take place.

Can someone advise what paperwork is required to be sent in with the registration fee to re register an RAA aircraft?

It has been a while since I owned a RAA aircraft (Jabiru). If I remember correctly an annual had to be carried out and an entry made in the Maintenance Log. This Log was not tied in with the annual registration of the aircraft in any way from memory. Other than a registration card displayed on the aircraft what else actually states that that aircraft is fit to fly should a RAA or CASA deligate take a look at the paperwork? There might be a simple answer.

Cheers Mike

Guest davidh10
I have an annual done on my experimental registered aircraft every year. This is carried out by a LAME. A new Maintenance release is placed in the flight manual. This allows the aircraft to fly again for another 12 months or 100 hours which ever comes first and subject to any other conditions that may be required e.g. daily preflight. A copy may go to CASA but I don't pay a fee to the LAME for it if it does. Provided the maintenance release is all in order then there should be no problem (aircraft wise) if a CASA ramp inspection was to take place.Can someone advise what paperwork is required to be sent in with the registration fee to re register an RAA aircraft?

It has been a while since I owned a RAA aircraft (Jabiru). If I remember correctly an annual had to be carried out and an entry made in the Maintenance Log. This Log was not tied in with the annual registration of the aircraft in any way from memory. Other than a registration card displayed on the aircraft what else actually states that that aircraft is fit to fly should a RAA or CASA deligate take a look at the paperwork? There might be a simple answer.

Cheers Mike

Once registered with RAA, an aircraft's registration is renewed simply by paying the fee and providing some data that CASA has requested RAA to collect:-

• Aircraft Total hours

• Aircraft Hours in last 12 months.

• Total landings.

• Number of landings in the last 12 months.

• If needed, correct any of the data on the registration renewal form.

It can all be done with a credit card over the Internet, or you can use snail mail if so disposed.

Actually, as it stands, the paperwork differs from the web submission in that the paperwork just says "Total Hours", but the web submission says "Total Flight Hours". I've always submitted engine hours, although I log "Air Hours" separately to "Engine run Hours" and base my 100 hourlies on Engine Run Time for the power plant and associated systems, but use "Air hours" for the airframe 100 hourly timing.