New Rotax 912IS < its injected

fly_tornado

21% less fuel burn pulls your 18 lts/hr back to 14 lts/hr. That is $6.40 an hour so you get your $6000 back in 940 hours. If the difference is only $4000 as some quote then the payback comes in only 470 hours and you get the smoother running for free. It will all be academic anyway when the eco-nazis in Europe require all new engines to meet more stringent emmision standards, they will just stop producing the less efficient engine.

• Like 1

I wonder whether Jabiru will head in the same direction.

I know a few of their engines have been fitted with after-market fuel injection, but have not read anything about how successful it was.

• 1 month later...
Yes I'm sure internally it's the same great tough engineering that we have come to love and expect from Rotax. I do like the fact that basically it is still the tried and trusted 100 hp uls engine, as a base.Even Rotax has had it's small dramas when introducing new models in the past (532,582 crankshaft breakage, 447 cooling, and 618 reed valve dramas). However like Gundy I would certainly be happy to fit a new 912iS to my Lightwing right, now if I had the means, and I'm sure it'll be a major move for Rotax, to keep them at the cutting edge of engine reliability for small aircraft..

The 912 range is used extensivly in some military drones, so I'm sure even as we speak the new engines are being throughly tested in service !.....................................................Maj...012_thumb_up.gif.cb3bc51429685855e5e23c55d661406e.gif

Hi Maj

Wouldnit be good if they developed a retro fit manifold and injection unit for the existing older 80 and 100hp models. It could not be hard and there would have to be a market for them. Just the economy saving and increased range are big plus's.

Cheers Mike

The 912 range is used extensivly in some military drones, so I'm sure even as we speak the new engines are being throughly tested in service !.....................................................Maj...012_thumb_up.gif.cb3bc51429685855e5e23c55d661406e.gif

I hope these Rotaxes are bullet-proof then. 095_cops.gif.448479f256bea28624eb539f739279b9.gif

Guest ozzie

I believe that the military Rotax applications have a short life and are then removed and destroyed so they don't find their way into the second hand civie market.

Some prewar racing mercedes engines had a design life of around 3,000 miles. Doesn't mean they are bad engines. they are built for a purpose.

Engines like the P&W R-1830 in various forms for military applications, ran lower TBO's as they ran higher Manifold pressures ( Boost) and RPM's. and higher rated horsepower. There are many variants, of one motor.

Also, The turbo charged Rotax has a Max power time limit, of I think five minutes. This max time at TO power is a commonly applied concept. This is where the engine is acting as a heat sink, and is absorbing heat internally faster that it is dissipating it.

There are also rev limits for overspeed situations. Some rpm's require an inspection . Another above it will require a strip down and rebuild and often above that the basic engine is considered scrap. Period. You can run it on a swamp boat. Nev

• Like 1

With an interview with the Rotax engineers mentioned a knock detector was installed and currently unused.

That is quite intriguing FT. Most computer managed injected engines rely on the knock sensor to automatically keep the ignition timing in the optimum advance and obviously eliminate detonation. Why fit one and not use it ... doesn't make sense.

With an interview with the Rotax engineers mentioned a knock detector was installed and currently unused.

That's bizarre.

One big factor with an electronic engine management system is for that system to rapidly advance/retard timing to be at the optimum for many situations. A knock sensor is a key information input to prevent detonation or pre-ignition to avoid damage to the motor. Why wouldn't the knock sensor be used????

Hi MajWouldnit be good if they developed a retro fit manifold and injection unit for the existing older 80 and 100hp models. It could not be hard and there would have to be a market for them. Just the economy saving and increased range are big plus's.

Cheers Mike

Looking on a rotax owners site, the big US dealer in the chat said retrofitting injection only(new heads and fuel system) would be out as the 912is is a new motor in it's own right. More that two thirds of the bits are new, including the block.

Seems like Rotax has taken the opportunity for a full facelift. Smart boys.

They did it because it was necessary. I believe you can seee this as a major new project rather than a mod of the older engine. It's a complex sophisticated engine that willl be more of a fit and don't touch thing, like even a bl88dy motor scooter is now, than anything previous. nev

Depends on how deep your pockets are or how much you want to spend on sport aviation at the lower level. Some who don't mind tinkering with their plane and giving it the necessary once-over now and again. won't go down that road. More the realm of the wizz bang kevlar and carbon "style sometimes at the expense of function", toys for the RICH in Europe.( There must be some of them left). Nev

Depends on how deep your pockets are or how much you want to spend on sport aviation at the lower level. Some who don't mind tinkering with their plane and giving it the necessary once-over now and again. won't go down that road. More the realm of the wizz bang kevlar and carbon "style sometimes at the expense of function", toys for the RICH in Europe.( There must be some of them left). Nev

There are not so many rich people left in Greece from the sounds of it.

BTW: Does anyone know of any significant aeroplane to ever originate from Greece? (at least, since Icarus' experimental aviation went tragically wrong)

Or the profesonial.

I have will have done 350+ hrs with my 912 in the first 12 months, and the fuel saving plus no carb rebuild/balance is a big factor.

Once apon a time blokes like me had to fly 172's, but no more!!