Another first solo!!

It's been on the cards for a couple of weeks, but finally did my solo today.

We started with a couple of circuits as usual, then my instructor did some final instructions and basically said to remember to think out loud and on landing, remember it'll be lighter so just hold off. We taxied back to threshold runway 18 then he got out.

I did my pre-flight checks, did the radio call to line up and roll runway 18. My instructor said the plane would climb like a rocket without him in it and me being a quite a light guy anyway throttled up and sure enough was very quickly in the air - by the time I knew it, I was at circuit altitude. I was a little nervous, but didn't feel it until I stepped on rudder to bank onto my downwind leg. My legs felt weak and they were shaking a little!

Anyways, onto downwind leg, did more checks and watched over my right shoulder for the runway (right hand circuits). It felt weird not seeing my instructor there. When I got to the base leg, I was fine and back into the normal routine. Made the base turn call and prepared to land.

The day was very still but for some reason we always have some turbulence just before the threshold. Without my instructor onboard, the plane got bumped a little more than usual but I power through it as we practiced and drive in for a nice touch down. Not my best, no bumps or anything like that, but I could have held off a little longer and let her float in.

What a feeling...picked my instructor halfway down the runway, shook hands and taxied back to the hanger.

0.2 of command logged in my log book. Wooohooo.

Ak.

• Like 9

Well done AK,

Enjoy the feeling, it lasts a long time! You are now one who understands the feeling that those who have never solo'd cannot understand. It only gets better from here on in.

Phil:thumb up:

It's been on the cards for a couple of weeks, but finally did my solo today.We started with a couple of circuits as usual, then my instructor did some final instructions and basically said to remember to think out loud and on landing, remember it'll be lighter so just hold off. We taxied back to threshold runway 18 then he got out.

I did my pre-flight checks, did the radio call to line up and roll runway 18. My instructor said the plane would climb like a rocket without him in it and me being a quite a light guy anyway throttled up and sure enough was very quickly in the air - by the time I knew it, I was at circuit altitude. I was a little nervous, but didn't feel it until I stepped on rudder to bank onto my downwind leg. My legs felt weak and they were shaking a little!

Anyways, onto downwind leg, did more checks and watched over my right shoulder for the runway (right hand circuits). It felt weird not seeing my instructor there. When I got to the base leg, I was fine and back into the normal routine. Made the base turn call and prepared to land.

The day was very still but for some reason we always have some turbulence just before the threshold. Without my instructor onboard, the plane got bumped a little more than usual but I power through it as we practiced and drive in for a nice touch down. Not my best, no bumps or anything like that, but I could have held off a little longer and let her float in.

What a feeling...picked my instructor halfway down the runway, shook hands and taxied back to the hanger.

Ak.

Well done mate, i understand the weird feeling of not having the instructor next to you. My first solo was not the best circuit i had done, and balooned a bit on the landing, but a great feeling of achievement. It was good of you to pick your instructor up on the way back to the hanger. For thoes familar with Caboolture, My instructor walked back from runway 12 after heavy rain the day before, by the time he got back to the hanger, he was covered in mud, I thought mabey i should have gave him a lift back.

Anyway, Congrats

Thank you all...

Did some wishlist shopping at Natfly today and loved it. The family was tagging along so had to keep moving, but had a long friendly chat with MarkT who was manning the Sportstar Harmony - really appreciated that. It was already high on my list, but it definitely bumped it a couple of notches.

While looking at another plane on the wishlist (the Bristell), I got chatting with a couple of GA guys from Geelong and Latrobe Valley. I mentioned I had only just solo'ed and they burst out with smiles and congrats. I wasn't expecting quite that reaction, but there were a couple of other occassions like that...what a community!

Ak.

It's been on the cards for a couple of weeks, but finally did my solo today.We started with a couple of circuits as usual, then my instructor did some final instructions and basically said to remember to think out loud and on landing, remember it'll be lighter so just hold off. We taxied back to threshold runway 18 then he got out.

Ak.

Hi Ak - well done! I also learnt at Sunbury and did my first solo there - so I know the feeling very well. Mine was on 36, and there was some wind shear on final over the buildings, but I had been warned to expect it.

I shall make no comments about the weight of the instructors augie.gif.8d680d8e3ee1cb0d5cda5fa6ccce3b35.gif but it sure did make a difference with only one person on board.....

btw - if you really are interested in the Bristell (and who wouldn't be) - the guy who sells them is based at Sunbury so you can take a closer look pretty easily.

Anyway - now you can look forward to lots more flying as PIC!

Cheers

Neil

Thanks Neil and ayavner.

Re: Bristell

Amazing looking plane...Know anyone looking for half share?? ;)

@Neil..When did you fly into Natfly? I was there only on Friday and I thought I saw your gazelle land, but didn't see you taxi back otherwise I would have come say hello.

Ak.

Thanks Neil and ayavner.Re: Bristell

Amazing looking plane...Know anyone looking for half share?? ;)

@Neil..When did you fly into Natfly? I was there only on Friday and I thought I saw your gazelle land, but didn't see you taxi back otherwise I would have come say hello.

Ak.

Hi Ak,

Landed on Friday at about 1.30, and taxied into the green "camping under wing" area following the guy on the bike.

Shame we didn't catch up - we must do so at Penfield.

BTW I know of two other people who flew up from Penfield, and didn't see either of them the whole weekend at Temora, but then saw one of them when we were refuelling at Yarrawonga!

Cheers

Neil

@Doug, mnfaria, shafs64...thanks! It WAS an awesome experience and now I just want to go flying all the time. But for now, I have been reading the nav solo threads and very much looking forward to that next "solo first".

Ak