Why didn't you go to NatFly

Guernsey

Hi Pud.

I agree, we sure could do with a RA-Aus sponsored event here in WA. Maby if we contacted our RA-Aus ROC he might be able to come up with something.

Our previous ROC had a Xmas bash (flyin) every year in lots of different places. Would like to see it carried on.

Cheers.

Steve.

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I live close to Narromine so still smarting over the relocation, in saying that 2 years ago @ Temora was good. For me its all about the technical presentations and this year wasnt much to make me travel the distance.

As far as flying in, with little traffic experience (in my ~500 hrs), a near collision with a Warrior at YNRM last Natfly there and the knowledge CASA were on site checking, no go for me Im afraid. I follow all the rules but dont fancy a run in with them over anything. Also cost was a consideration.

Ironically I then ended up driving through Narrandera Friday but couldnt stop.

I suggest its a hard task getting members to come along - hard as getting them to vote. I think if you get more people in general this will come.

I think it needs to be as much targeted to general population and a family event being over Easter. Probably too much for RAA to handle themselves and does become a very different event. Needs air displays, education films, stuff the family can enjoy.

I do think Narromine had better layout for this type of combined event.

Natfly was held in YNRM mostly through the drought years, not much money or enthusiasim around. Now with SAAA based there, new runway surface, some green grass might make it more attractive in the future?

As a member of both the SAAA and AUF since their inceptions, I would really like to see some cooperation between the two bodies for a combined Fly-in/Convention.

As I've lived overseas for the last 15 years (but with a house in Oz complete with an active under construction aircraft in the garage), I haven't had the opportunity to attend either bodies Fly-in/Convention for a long time but with the early ones, I noticed a very different emphasis at each.

The SAAA Convention seemed to revolve around building with good hands on forums, much chewing the fat about projects in progress/building techniques, with a lot of pride and enthusiasm being displayed for what these people were creating or had created. The flying and demonstration of their creations was the icing on the cake.

The AUF Fly-in seemed to have a great deal more exuberance displayed with more emphasis being placed on flying the aircraft, with constant activity in the circuit area (some of which I recall being quite undisciplined, but that was a long time ago).

If SAAA and RAA could combine the benefits that each organisation has to offer for the benefit of all SAAA/RAA members in the form of a joint Fly-in/Convention, then perhaps some of the reasons that people are quoting for not attending Natfly this year could be alleviated.

For those above who are encouraging a WA fly-in, why don't you try to coordinate with the Sport Aircraft Builders Club WA to "join" their Serpentine fly-ins?

Cheers,

Dave

Hi Pud.I agree, we sure could do with a RA-Aus sponsored event here in WA. Maby if we contacted our RA-Aus ROC he might be able to come up with something.

Our previous ROC had a Xmas bash (flyin) every year in lots of different places. Would like to see it carried on.

Cheers.

Steve.

I've been in touch with our rep Gavin Thobaven Steve, as I mentioned on the weekend. Once I have some more info on his ideas for an event I'll start a new thread here if Gavin doesn't.

Cheers,

Pud

• 2 weeks later...

My wife and I where thinking about it, but decieded to go see my relatives in Yeppoon instead, was a lovely 2.5 hour trip up and 3.0 hour trip back. I am saving my pennies for the next few months as there are going to be a lot of fly ins in Queenslandland, and would like to go along to a couple of them, and just couldnt see the point of heading down, as I would have had to have left on the Wed/Thur to get there for the Friday Opening, but there is always next year.

I've heard monto is going ahead this year, so I may pop up for that one!

Billy Joel said something similar....He sits at the bar we put bread in his jar,

and say "Man what is he doing here?"

We didn't attend this year due to distance , the cost of fuel, the accommodation unless you book well in advance forget it, & only 2 of us can fly up if the weather is good, the third has an 8 hour solo car ride up. This is usually me as John & Rod go in the plane & sorry to say I will not drive that far on my own.

Cheers Sue

Alan,

We hope that your wife is well on the way to recovery. Sorry I don't get on here much at the moment, so have only just seen this.

Cheers

Sue & John

Alan,We hope that your wife is well on the way to recovery. Sorry I don't get on here much at the moment, so have only just seen this.

Cheers

Sue & John

She is slowly improving every day, thanks for your kind words.101_thank_you.gif.0bf9113ab8c9fe9c7ebb42709fda3359.gif

Alan.

Hey Alan, hope all going good now. Unfortunatly being a full time carer for my in=laws and recieving a small pension ,both distance and money where my exuses,,would have loved to fly-in in my trusty thrusty T83 single seat single surface wings(she gets a lot of attention) anyway.next time if the gods smile upon me..