Why didn't you go to NatFly

Guernsey

Whilst all this information coming from Natfly attendees is very usefull and informative I think it would be a good idea for those of us who didn't attend to state why?

Only then will we be able to get an accurate account of the reasons members did not attend.

Putting in my two bobs worth I did not want to attend because of my wife's health and did not want to leave her at home. A wise decision as she had a heart attack yesterday and

is currently in hospital.She had an artery blockage which has been successfully operated on.

Alan.

• Like 2

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That is no good Guernsey... I met your "kids" and their machine... I hope your wife is ok.

I don't mean to get political but I would like to call for the immediate sacking of the Tizzard Lizzard... disgusted!

• Like 1

Whilst all this information coming from Natfly attendees is very usefull and informative I think it would be a good idea for those of us who didn't attend to state why?Only then will we be able to get an accurate account of the reasons members did not attend.

Putting in my two bobs worth I did not want to attend because of my wife's health and did not want to leave her at home. A wise decision as she had a heart attack yesterday and

is currently in hospital.She had an artery blockage which has been successfully operated on.

Alan.

You must have some pretty good intuition, coupled with a capacity to listen and act on the message Alan. Heart attacks can have some pretty serious implications, so it is great to hear that your wife has received timely and appropriate treatment.

From comments that you have made on previous posts, you have a special lady, and remember, "you married the prototype and entire production run of that variant".

• Like 4

Thanks guys for your comments she has had three heart attacks and has 8 stents in her arteries and Flying is definitely my second love. 099_off_topic.gif.20188a5321221476a2fad1197804b380.gif

Alan.

PS I liked your closing line Nareman, very true, very true.

Glad to hear she is still with you Guernsey, I lost my father in January due to a heart attack, unfortunately we didn't get a second chance. I still cant believe he has gone, only 66. Just retired from a life time of military/international flying. 051_crying.gif.fe5d15edcc60afab3cc76b2638e7acf3.gif

You made the best choice Alan, our best wishes for a speedy recoveryBrian and Linda

My main reason for non attendance to Natfly is apart from the distance and uncertain weather is my belief that these well attended shows can lead to problems in the circuit with overcrowding.

The last show I attended at Narromine I was on final with another plane on final in the opposite direction. There was a Unicom working on the Saturday but not Friday when I arrived

Don't get me wrong, I have had plenty of experience flying into airfields over a lot of OZ but would much prefer an organised arrival/departure process with that amount of traffic.

Thanks guys for your comments she has had three heart attacks and has 8 stents in her arteries and Flying is definitely my second love. 099_off_topic.gif.20188a5321221476a2fad1197804b380.gifAlan.

PS I liked your closing line Nareman, very true, very true.

Alan, I used that quote last year in response to a post by you when you made mention of the the support you had received from your wife when you were learning to fly.

You are now returning that love and support, and continue to do so in bucketfuls.

• Like 1

Whilst all this information coming from Natfly attendees is very usefull and informative I think it would be a good idea for those of us who didn't attend to state why?Only then will we be able to get an accurate account of the reasons members did not attend.

Alan.

Hi Alan,

I hope your wife makes a speedy recovery. You made the correct decision, of course.

All the best

Neil

good idea for those of us who didn't attend to state why?.

I made my mind up a week out when the weather looked dodgy and I only had a motor bike and no small camping gear to match. 7 hrs on the bike can be a bit uncomfortable.

Been once, First year it was held at Temora. Found it pretty boring after first few hours, left a day earlier than planned. The highlight as far as I was concerned was meeting Dick Smith. Being newbys, my wife and I didn't know anyone from a bar of soap which probably didn't help. Too clicky for my tastes.

• Like 1

My main reason for non attendance to Natfly is apart from the distance and uncertain weather is my belief that these well attended shows can lead to problems in the circuit with overcrowding.The last show I attended at Narromine I was on final with another plane on final in the opposite direction. There was a Unicom working on the Saturday but not Friday when I arrived

Don't get me wrong, I have had plenty of experience flying into airfields over a lot of OZ but would much prefer an organised arrival/departure process with that amount of traffic.

My Son-in Law Kevin told me that on arrival at Natfly he flew above the field and then joined down wind for the runway in use, however on turning finals a Jabiru turned in front of him from his right ie the dead side of the field. He was possibly doing a right hand circuit. This was on the Thursday.

Alan.

I don't mean to get political but I would like to call for the immediate sacking of the Tizzard Lizzard... disgusted!

I would like to know some or any reasons as I am interested ? If your reasons are good you may get your wish by putting it out there.

I did not go to Natfly because the Forums did not sound to be any different than normal and the cost of going and have gone for many years and would like to see more forums covering a lot more topics especially on maintenance and flying techniques.

I would like to know some or any reasons as I am interested ? If your reasons are good you may get your wish by putting it out there.I did not go to Natfly because the Forums did not sound to be any different than normal and the cost of going and have gone for many years and would like to see more forums covering a lot more topics especially on maintenance and flying techniques.

Tizzard is nothing but a figurehead... "The very model of a modern Major General" and nothing more... Ra-Aus should have a manager in the position... not an old bloke looking for a retirement gig.

• Like 2

Guest Andys@coffs

I've flown into a few of these now, N twice and Monto once and generally dont like the very crowded circuit area where Im never entirely comfortable that I know exactly what everyone else is doing. I know what they should be doing, but those are 2 entirely different statements....... In fact as I said recently to blackrod I find it quizzical that casa wont let us into controlled airspace (where at times we might be the 2nd or 3rd aircraft in the area) but its Ok that 500 plus RAA all arrive and depart the one place over a few days....

Im happy going to smaller flyin's and in general doing my own thing.

Andy

Been to Narromine a couple of times - separately and once together (after we met & married). The better half has an objection to going to Temora because he loved Narromine and doesn't think Temora could match it. We have visited the Temora Museum for a flying display, so we know what it is like. Distance is the next consideration, being just a little further than Narromine. Having to travel all Friday and only see Saturday is the next deterrent - we have always driven; him because his ultralight was too slow and me because the C152 was elsewhere or I was coming from the other direction. He isn't interested in Plastic Fantastics and feels the home builder and 95-10 are being edged out. I just make the most of it, love the forums, meeting people, volunteering, looking & drooling over planes. The other thing was work - he worked over Easter and I had come home after a 16 day shift to an overgrown yard (we both live & work in other towns as there isn't much employment in ours).

I'm sure, if we went to Temora's Natfly, he would enjoy it and want to go again.

The other consideration is the Northern Fly-in at Monto. We are planning to bring at least 2 planes. It is on Queens Birthday weekend - so the boss took holidays around it, and now we find it is on the "other" Queens Birthday holiday in October - The Qld State Govt decided to change the date and so introduced a second holiday to move it permanently to October. Still planning to go but it will be a squeeze.

So that's why we didn't front.

Sue

I didn't go because I am still building & it won't fly without wings.

Sounds like the traffic is a bit of concern to many people. I enjoy busy circuits and joins but they must be organised. I know we don't have ATC which in such a situation is a shame. I flew into Warbirds over Wanaka some years ago and there were special Notams, maps etc plus a temporary ATC setup and there were specific joining locations. 650 light aircraft flew in, in less than 24 hours and it was organised and precise. It was the first time I'd been No 10 on long final before. It was the same leaving, taking off at 30 second intervals.

The trouble is most of us don't have transponders & have not had ATC experience. But when there is a lot going on and you must follow the rules it all works. I think we have been pretty lucky that there haven't been any major collisions to date.

Starting a new job (on the 10th - today), and didn't want to get stuck at Temora due to Wx or other problems - wouldn't have made a good impression with the new boss! blink.gif.7ee21b69ed31ab2b1903acc52ec4cc3f.gif

Guest nunans
Billy Joel said something similar....He sits at the bar we put bread in his jar,

and say "Man what is he doing here?"

I think i know what you mean but i'm not sure if that's what is intended in the lyrics..

For me the only reason I didn't fly in is because i'm not yet confident in my engine, I think a controller at such an event would not work, one for all the red tape reasons and two because it's a rec fly in event and a ppl is certanly not required (nor should it be), so ATC would be a hell of a job for the controller and it would turn most rec pilots off going. (even if they were allowed to)

Ultimately, like any non towered aerodrome you just need to make sufficient calls to let other traffic in the vicinity know where you are and look around.. see and avoid.