Why didn't you go to NatFly

Guernsey

I didn't go because I was assisting with the Easterfest Christian music event in Toowoomba! Which went really well, with well over 10,000 in attendance I'm guessing.

Also did the video recording etc... of one of my friends, Liz, perform - look her up, she has great music! - Liz Cole 001_smile.gif.2cb759f06c4678ed4757932a99c02fa0.gif

And then on Monday I took some other musician friends up for a flight around the area in a Warrior. Was a fantastic weekend, would loved to have headed south but can't do everything every time unfortunately!

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I didn't go mainly because of last year's poor show - I couldn't see enough reason to drive all the way from Sydney to waste a whole long weekend and some money when it was borderline boring last time.

Aside from the cool aerobatic show and some nice displays last year, I was really looking for TIFs, but there were none to be found. Whatever happened to the idea of encouraging people to get in a plane and have a flight? Just for the thrill of it or, perhaps it may even inspire someone to start a career in aviation.

Putting in my two bobs worth I did not want to attend because of my wife's health and did not want to leave her at home. A wise decision as she had a heart attack yesterday andis currently in hospital.She had an artery blockage which has been successfully operated on.

Alan.

Great to hear that the Op was successful Alan,obviously a worrying time for you mate.

So good to see one get their priorites right these days, and the right decisions made.

Sincere good wishes for her speedy recovery.

Kind Regards

Alan

drive all the way from Sydney.

All the way from Sydney!!! Lol lol lol

Not having a go at you personally Owi... just think its quite amusing. Perhaps we need to move Natfly to Queensland? You guys really have no idea how lucky you are.

• Like 4

I didn't go because I was assisting with the Easterfest Christian music event in Toowoomba! Which went really well, with well over 10,000 in attendance I'm guessing.Also did the video recording etc... of one of my friends, Liz, perform - look her up, she has great music! - Liz Cole 001_smile.gif.2cb759f06c4678ed4757932a99c02fa0.gif

And then on Monday I took some other musician friends up for a flight around the area in a Warrior. Was a fantastic weekend, would loved to have headed south but can't do everything every time unfortunately!

Good onya Tomo..Chicks are a good excuse, say no more mate.

I wanted to head over but the school was just too busy.. Sorry I missed some of you blokes...

• Like 1

I didn't go mainly because of last year's poor show - I couldn't see enough reason to drive all the way from Sydney to waste a whole long weekend and some money when it was borderline boring last time.Aside from the cool aerobatic show and some nice displays last year, I was really looking for TIFs, but there were none to be found. Whatever happened to the idea of encouraging people to get in a plane and have a flight? Just for the thrill of it or, perhaps it may even inspire someone to start a career in aviation.

They have stopped the younger generation from experiencing the thrill of flying an aircraft, thrills that can start a life long career and was the basis of AUF...friends, family, affordable fun flying

All the way from Sydney!!! Lol lol lolNot having a go at you personally Owi... just think its quite amusing. Perhaps we need to move Natfly to Queensland? You guys really have no idea how lucky you are.

Yeah, yeah. I understand where you're coming from, Winsor, mate. My apologies to those who come from even further afield.

However, having seen over time what flying facilities are available in VIC and QLD, I wish I live in either of those two states.

Yeah, yeah. I understand where you're coming from, Winsor, mate. My apologies to those who come from even further afield.However, having seen over time what flying facilities are available in VIC and QLD, I wish I live in either of those two states.

Better make it Victoria mate... Things are looking real grim in Qld for us normal wage earners due to the mining industry... All the way to the border and then some when you pull up and enquire about accommodation you are told "You will be lucky to get a room"... the mines book them all out whether they are using them or not which has strangled any economic activity not related to mining... House prices are sky high... You won't find a decent house for less than $350k anywhere I know of... At Springsure I met a couple of scientist doing tests on the river system... they told me that Rockampton's water supply was within an inch of being unfit for human consumption because of run off from the Coal mines up stream... the mines just pump their dirty water out into the environment... cheaper to pay the pittance in fines than do the right thing.

You can buy a house with a hanger for the price of a decent 1/4 acre block with house in Mackay...

Queensland is screwed BIG time and you would have to be real dxxxhead not to support a BIG mining tax on these unscrupulous bastards... even those earning mine wages are just paying higher prices for everything so it all seems to pretty much cancel itself out. How does $1200 per week sound for rent in Moranbah? Reasonable??? No way!!! Our rent here in Mackay in $410 dollars a week and we have a very ordinary house and as for buying? Never going to happen if you are on normal wages.

These mining magnates with their billions have a lot to answer for and if we don't string the bastards up soon I really can't see too much of a future up here for our kids.

• Like 2

I agree with you Windsor, the cost of living in these towns is beyond the average person. I am working & living in Emerald in a non mining job - fortunately the company pays the $600 a week for my one bed unit and rents other houses up to $1,256/week. The sad cases are the people who don't work for a company that provides accommodation. Also near impossible to get a motel room on a Tuesday night as some mines do not provide a room at the end of the shift, so workers have to sleep in town before flying or driving home. The regular mining commuters snap up the discount air fares. So planning any event is difficult. Getting "ordinary" workers - cleaners, shop assistants, admin etc is terribly hard. I see the flying school building is being demolished for more car parks - not sure where the school is now located.

Sue

Yep fellow I work in the mining and u are right it is redickulas the union are striking for more ! I think they should sac the bloody lot, do away with the greedy buggers come back down to the real world they are heading that way because of the way these fools are causing mine closes ,Norwich park have shut up shop .and I think more will follow if the people don't wake up to them selfs ,

• Like 1

Guest Howard Hughes

I was working...

I did fly by several times throughout the weekend, couldn't see much from 28,000 feet though!

I was working...I did fly by several times throughout the weekend, couldn't see much from 28,000 feet though!

Temora Traffic XXXXX is overhead Temora at 28,000ft and joining circuit for runway 36 in 27 minutes Temora. 095_cops.gif.448479f256bea28624eb539f739279b9.gif

Alan.

• Like 1

Guest Howard Hughes
Temora Traffic XXXXX is overhead Temora at 28,000ft and joining circuit for runway 36 in 27 minutes Temora. 095_cops.gif.448479f256bea28624eb539f739279b9.gifAlan.

It's amazing what you can do with a turboprop, I would say joining circuit in 5 minutes!037_yikes.gif.f44636559f7f2c4c52637b7ff2322907.gif

Guest davidh10

Best wishes for a speedy recovery for your wife, Gurnsey. As you say, a good decision.

I was just back from the Megafauna fly-away ( eight days, from Yarrawonga, Vic to Goolwa, SA & return via NSW) and it was hard enough to persuade my wife to go on that, although she did actually end up enjoying it. She has absolutely no interest in a "Fly-in", and we've been to several airshows at Temora. We had other adjacent family commitments requiring travel. Having to book accommodation about six months in advance, when weather is uncertain...

I'm not sure my interest extends to spending more than a few hours at a fly-in, in any case. I might fly in for a day, next year, depending on weather and other commitments. For me it would be more curiosity, rather than any specific reason for going. If I had to drive, my interest level might not be that strong (4h drive vs 2h fly).

I kept checking the webcam, this year. That was definitely uninspiring.

How is your wife Alan ? Hope she is recovering well.Brian and Linda

She had a bit of a rough time but is now stable and should be home tomorrow.

I'll keep you all informed. She is blown away by all you concerning forumites.

Thanks Everyone.

Note! She is the best wife I have ever had 107_score_010.gif.2fa64cd6c3a0f3d769ce8a3c21d3ff90.gif

Footnote:- She is the only wife I have ever had. 008_roflmao.gif.692a1fa1bc264885482c2a384583e343.gif.

• Like 3

Guest Andys@coffs
...... I'm in the same basket 020_yes.gif.58d361886eb042a872e78a875908e414.gifPhil

So...another basket case....guess I'd best join as well all the while noting that Im very happy to be in this specific basket....

Andy

I second what Doug Evans said, except that I'm building rather than re-building.

Doug, your locality sounds "interesting" *itch* *scratch*. I live on Russell Island and we have plenty of midges. URK!