Anyone interested in ferrying a Jabiru J170-C?

13 May 12 - Ferry flight completed (see below), thanks.

++++++++++++++++

I am a student pilot and have bought a Jabiru J170-C to learn to fly. It is situated at Coominya, about one hour drive west of Brisbane, and I would like to get the aircraft flown down to Goulburn (flight time approx 6 hours). Aircraft 24-7021 is factory built in Nov 2008 with 200 hours TT and steam driven instruments. I will pay all expenses. Please contact me at [email protected]

1729561255_cropped-DSC_6874.thumb.JPG.05738e9da66839c52bd2ac603092e052.JPG

129116557137542.thumb.jpg.4440bb4b23415464742c51207bc3ef1a.jpg

• Like 1

Hey Eric, if I can fit it into my crazy life I'll do it for you...

If you can tell me a few things such as-

- The aircraft insurance policy (I'm a 20yr old 250 odd hour GA/RAA pilot)

- Who has been maintaining the aircraft? (need their number)

- Are you coming along also?

PM me if you like, number is 0429 680 423

• Like 1

Is that Leo & pauls old plane? if so I think it has been well looked after.

If Eric isn't going, I wouldn't mind being balast for you Tomo, you don't want to fly all that way with a lean to one side

Pete

Strewth.. I was going to book a kero burner from Moree to sydney next week as im getting a one way lift to my satellite school at Goondiwindi. If Tomo is too busy (with his girls, truck, dozers, aeroplanes, etc) ill jump in with you or bring it back for you..Im in Jaspers brush (near Nowra)

Cheers

Strewth.. I was going to book a kero burner from Moree to sydney next week as im getting a one way lift to my satellite school at Goondiwindi. If Tomo is too busy (with his girls, truck, dozers, aeroplanes, etc) ill jump in with you or bring it back for you..Im in Jaspers brush (near Nowra)Cheers

If Eric is happy for me to take it and he's not coming, I'll track inland and pick you up from Moree, you could probably teach me a thing or too in the process.

Then again, after reading what you (Motz) just said properly, that's a pretty good offer too Eric.

Hi Everyone, I have been overwhelmed with offers to help. I am really surprised and appreciative. I literally received the first offer by email within 5 minutes of posting. I am currently in discussion with Daniel the first person to respond and it looks like he can do it and he is pretty local. If Daniel can't do it, I will get back with another request. Thanks.

Is that Leo & pauls old plane? if so I think it has been well looked after.If Eric isn't going, I wouldn't mind being balast for you Tomo, you don't want to fly all that way with a lean to one side

Pete

Yes it is Paul & Leo's "old" plane. They have a new J230.

Congratulations on the purchase. I flew my new plane all the way from Bundaberg to Gawler, South Australia in Oct 2009. Took two days with a stop over at Bourke. I notice your plane has not had the JSB 029-1 mods done to it (handling upgrade). This mod involves the rudder springs, flaps and a ugly ventral fin. I guess you are aware of this? Anyway, happy flying, I have no regrets with the purchase of my J170, it has never missed a beat.

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks to Daniel, my Jabiru J170-C aeroplane (toy) is now nicely tucked away in a hangar at Goulburn. We flew my J170 from Wyreema to Goulburn on Sunday 13 May, a distance of 545 nm in 7.1 hours (by the hour meter).

I flew commercially to Brisbane Friday evening and was picked up by my brother-in-law and sister at the airport and stayed the night in Toowoomba. The following morning, we picked up the ferry pilot, Daniel from Wyreema just south of Toowoomba, and travelled to Coominya. After a check flight for Daniel at Coominya with John the CFI, we flew to Clifton for a club BBQ with some very friendly club members, then back to Toowoomba to fuel up ready for the flight, and then back to Daniel’s private strip at Wyreema. I stayed overnight at Daniel’s place where we finalised the flight plan. We left Daniel’s place on Sunday morning after getting a weather update and arrived late afternoon in Goulburn. We flew Wyreema, Moree, Narromine, Grenfell, Harden, Goulburn (see attached track). We had stronger head-winds than expected which added 45 mins to the flight of 7.1 hours (engine hours). We landed in Moree for fuel and Narromine for a leg stretch and to get a weather update.

The aircraft flew like a dream. This was my first long distance trip in such a small plane, and I had the biggest smile. We had very strong headwinds most of the way but despite the headwinds the air was very smooth and clear mostly for the first 2/3 of the journey. It started to get cloudy for the last 1/3 of the journey. We experienced some low cloud (4,500’) in a few places. Also had to modify our track to keep clear of some rain just south-west of Goulburn.

The air speed was just under 100 knots at 2,900 rpm, but heading south the groundspeed was mostly below 80 kts into a south-westerly wind. I have not yet worked out average fuel just yet but in cruise the fuel flow meter was between 13-16 lph.

I am very grateful to Daniel, he is a top guy. He is very friendly and genuine. He made sure I understood what he was doing and involved me in all stages of planning and in-flight navigation. I learned a lot from him and gained valuable experience from accompanying him on the flight.

Although I didn’t know Daniel prior to Saturday, I now count him as a friend and hope to go flying with him in future. He refused to take anything for his valuable time and for accommodating me at his place. The only thing Daniel wished for, was for me to help someone else in future in some way.

Thank you to all the offers of assistance from others on this site. It is great to see such great aviation community support.

1606042713_Wyreema-GoulburnFerryFLight13May12.JPG.1f714fbe3412adbc7d4962a0310b3999.JPG

• Like 6

Eric, did any of your ancestors have anything to do with motorbikes? Nev

I wish I could claim a relationship with Rex and Cromie McCandless, but I don't know of one. My brother did own a Norton featherbed many years ago.